PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Found this on their website. From what I’ve seen, it seems like the set and set special are usually smooth ones with nice grain. Floodlights are mostly the sandblasts which I assume means a bit lower quality blocks?

IMG_8313.png

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Found this on their website. From what I’ve seen, it seems like the set and set special are usually smooth ones with nice grain. Floodlights are mostly the sandblasts which I assume means a bit lower quality blocks?

View attachment 268997
Thanks for this! I didn’t even know they had a website. Also, I didn’t realize but the brand is apparently Foundation and it’s by Musico. Somehow I thought Musico was the brand and Foundation was a grade.

Reactions: mtwaller

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Do the army mounts by Musico have tapered tenons or are they more like faux army mounts with straight tenons and mortises?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The slot is not something I ever really think about, while the bit and button are of paramount importance, in terms of comfort. Why do you ask about the slot?

It's a fair question, just not sure how to comment
On most low dollar pipes I get, (Grabow, Kaywoodie, MM) I have to file/sand the slot. Otherwise the generic "rectangle" slot irritates my tongue.

Reactions: Winnipeger

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville

View attachment 268997
There isn't a clear cut discernible difference among their lines.
Floodlight is used for their sandblasts, but can also be used on very nice smooths. My smooth Floodlight Double Special is an incredible looking pipe.

Seems many "Club" pipes utilize other materials like bamboo, boxwood, et al.

Set pipes are smooths, usually with darker finishes.

Any of those lines can be upgraded by Special, Double, and Triple Special designations. Often that indicates the inclusion of silver/army mounts, brindled ebonite or horn, and perhaps especially nice grain.

Reactions: AroEnglish
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
On most low dollar pipes I get, (Grabow, Kaywoodie, MM) I have to file/sand the slot. Otherwise the generic "rectangle" slot irritates my tongue.
The slots are perfect. I clench a lot and will often stick the end of my tongue over the slot the stop smoke coming in while I'm walking around or doing something. Never had any issue with irritation or roughness.

Reactions: Winnipeger