PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
If I’m not taking a drag the pipe is cupped in my palm. I’ve come to realize I don’t like to do other activities while smoking. I like to sit and think and relax. So I’ve stopped multitasking- now I smoke less often, but enjoy it more. When relights started to feel like a chore, or handling of the pipe was inhibiting efficiency with various tasks, I had to reevaluate how and why I smoke. So no clinching.

BobbyD

Lurker
Feb 5, 2022
Rockland County, NY
I mostly clench when driving or taking a short walk. I have a light pipe that I prefer to clench with and it's usally running a little hot because I tend to smoke faster when clenching. I never thought about it, but I always clench on the left. I'm also left-handed.

Reactions: tklee

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
download.jpeg
I have some pipes that are easier to clench than others and it depends entirely on what I'm doing when smoking. I have a few lightweight pipes with vulcanite stems that I smoke when I know I'm going to be clenching. For the most part, I hold the pipe in between my middle and index finger by the shank, like how most people hold a cigarette.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Yep. And when I realized it habitually was in the same repetitive spot, I decided that might not be good long term, so I vary it. Also began trying a directly central clench to even out any pressure / angle issues on both teeth and TMJ alignment. Trying to anticipate and mitigate long term issues.

Reactions: tklee