PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Growing up a half mile South of Bug Tussle the old timers could remember the crash of 1929 and our parents remembered the Great Depression as children.

The stock market was considered a form of gambling, something vaguely sinful like women who walked around town on foot instead of riding in cars, and drinking booze and beer and wine, and other legal things that we knew weren’t something you’d brag about doing in church.

But just over forty years ago in law school in my estates and trust administration class my professor taught us in the middle of a really bad recession, that the reason the rich get richer and the poor get poorer is the poor don’t invest a tenth of their income in a broad based mutual fund in large cap American stocks. He went over the average returns for all investments and over a long period of time none came close to the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

He said in front of the class, a whole lot of people have lost a whole lot of money betting against the United States of America.

The rich allow you to buy shares of the large businesses that make them rich, he said. The Dow was a thousand then but he said in a few years it would be two thousand and after a few more three thousand, and over time it would be ten thousand, twenty thousand, there was never a limit.

Here’s a chart with yearly Dow information back to 2015.

Today the Dow closed over 37,000.

When my law professor made his speech there’s been three times inflation, which would mean a three thousand Dow today instead of the thousand it was then, to match inflation.

The real return is twelve times that.

Plus those stocks have paid dividends since late 1982.

That was the best advice I ever followed and I’ve advised all my clients to follow for forty years.

The hard part is you have to buy when it’s 2008 and not sell during the fat years.

And you can’t listen to the experts who know the market will crash next year or they have a stock sure to make you rich.

Easy and steady and consistent investment is the only way to play the Dow.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Growing up a half mile South of Bug Tussle the old timers could remember the crash of 1929 and our parents remembered the Great Depression as children.

The stock market was considered a form of gambling, something vaguely sinful like women who walked around town on foot instead of riding in cars, and drinking booze and beer and wine, and other legal things that we knew weren’t something you’d brag about doing in church.

But just over forty years ago in law school in my estates and trust administration class my professor taught us in the middle of a really bad recession, that the reason the rich get richer and the poor get poorer is the poor don’t invest a tenth of their income in a broad based mutual fund in large cap American stocks. He went over the average returns for all investments and over a long period of time none came close to the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

He said in front of the class, a whole lot of people have lost a whole lot of money betting against the United States of America.

The rich allow you to buy shares of the large businesses that make them rich, he said. The Dow was a thousand then but he said in a few years it would be two thousand and after a few more three thousand, and over time it would be ten thousand, twenty thousand, there was never a limit.

Here’s a chart with yearly Dow information back to 2015.

Today the Dow closed over 37,000.

When my law professor made his speech there’s been three times inflation, which would mean a three thousand Dow today instead of the thousand it was then, to match inflation.

The real return is twelve times that.

Plus those stocks have paid dividends since late 1982.

That was the best advice I ever followed and I’ve advised all my clients to follow for forty years.

The hard part is you have to buy when it’s 2008 and not sell during the fat years.

And you can’t listen to the experts who know the market will crash next year or they have a stock sure to make you rich.

Easy and steady and consistent investment is the only way to play the Dow.
That would not have been good advice the day before the crash in 1929! It took 30 years for the Dow to get back to where it was that day, adjusted for inflation! I think what's remarkable is that we've not had a recession since 2008.
So we buy when the bubble pops.
Buy low, sell high! Timing is everything. So simple!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
So we buy when the bubble pops.

Stocks are one of the few things in life when they are high everyone wants to buy and when they are on fire sale few want them.

Unless the company has a public offering the rich men selling the stock do not get any money. After the initial sale the stock is sort of a form of currency, backed by the performance and balance sheet of the company they represent.

If you could go forward in time one year, or even a few months, and come back with a Wall Street Journal you’d have riches untold, with perfect knowledge of the market ,,,,maybe.

Maybe it’s a huge crap shoot and the dice don’t roll the same if there’s another roll.

But a steady monthly investment of ten per cent of your paycheck or a fixed amount if you are self employed has always, since 1915, produced more gains over the long term than anything else.

If you bought in 1929, 1974, 2009, and 2020 lows you’d have done much better but when the skies turn black and the world seems it will end few believe it will ever recover.

But it always has, in a few years.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
That would not have been good advice the day before the crash in 1929! It took 30 years for the Dow to get back to where it was that day, adjusted for inflation! I think what's remarkable is that we've not had a recession since 2008.

Buy low, sell high! Timing is everything. So simple!

My old law professor specially discussed 1929.

If you’d quit buying in 1929 you would have spent decades recovering.

But if you kept on with a steady investment each month within a few years you’d have recovered.

And we alive today won’t ever forget the fall of 2008 when one week in October 2008 General Motors sold something like 20 cars in the entire United States. It was beyond bad. For a brief time the bonds of Walmart paid less interest than US Treasuries. Short term US Treasuries even briefly were inverted, where you paid for the privilege of loaning the government your money.

The recovery in the Dow only took four years. And if you’d invested during the lows you’d have recovered quicker.

And we do tend to forget that if we’d plunged in early 2020 when the Dow briefly went down to the 16,000 range we’d have more than doubled our money today.

If we just had a clear crystal ball.:)

My professor claimed that since the First Battle of Savo Island, which was such an unmitigated disaster the Dow actually bounced on the bad news, there has never been even a five year period an investor has lost money investing in the Dow. Since then it’s been a steady escalator ride upwards, with occasional drops.

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
If you’d quit buying in 1929 you would have spent decades recovering.

But if you kept on with a steady investment each month within a few years you’d have recovered.
If you could afford to keep buying after the crash, you were rich anyway. Good trick if you could pull it off!
If we just had a clear crystal ball.:)
Haha! We'd all have bought Apple after they fired Steve Jobs.

Jokes aside, I don't disagree with your Prof. I practice what he preached.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
If you could afford to keep buying after the crash, you were rich anyway. Good trick if you could pull it off!

Haha! We'd all have bought Apple after they fired Steve Jobs.

My professor gave the stock market lecture when the Fed Funds overnight rate was something like 18% and unemployment was high and we all were wondering if the world as we knew it was about to end. The economic climate in late 1982 was horrible.

One student argued with him claiming that stocks were only pieces of paper backed by nothing, only cash was real.

And the professor replied if America was utterly defeated in a war, our cash would be worthless.

And he said what would have value would be:

Bottles of good liquor

Cartons of good cigarettes

And ownership of good blue chip stocks, prime commercial real estate, and fertile farmland.

Or at least the German experience of 1945 taught that.

We had a blast listening to him talk about investing.

And he didn’t say anything experience hasn’t proven correct.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Investing in stocks one must be prepared to play the long game. Over time the stock market always increases, and there may be adjustment periods (see 2008) where the smart investor stands pat or even invests more. Sometimes I go months without checking my portfolio value, I know that my value is increasing faster than money in the bank or CD's.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
On December 11 the market value of all the companies on the Dow was over 35 trillion dollars, with a T.

Let’s say next year the people all panic at the same time, like they did in the fall of 2008 or spring of 2020.

We read one day the Dow is below 20,000.

If that happens and you were still making a $500 a month investment you’ll get almost twice as many shares.

Interest rates will be near zero, deflation will be the problem, unemployment will be around 10% and gasoline less than two dollars a gallon.

Every time the sky looks like it’s going to cave in since 1942 it has not. In four years or less the Dow market value is back to where it was.

If anything, if you are not busted broke during the bad years you should ratchet your monthly investment up a notch.

The reason it works is the value of the Dow is based on the companies that make the rich richer while the poor get poorer.

Unless you think the rich will get poorer and the poorer get rich, there’s really no better alternative.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What is the value of the USD based on?

The same as gold used to be.

People all over the world have decided it is the ultimate money token.

Money is a civilized human invention.

Judas received thirty silver tokens, worth a few months wages, at most.

But in our modern world, Jerome Powell has more influence over the value of a dollar than any Caesar had over the Roman denarii. If Jerome Powell woke up evil tomorrow the consequences would be unfathomable.

If there was a full scale nuclear war, then a bottle of good bourbon might be the best money.

Until then we all use the dollar.

It has value because it’s accepted as money all over the world.

All my adult life people have cussed the Federal Reserve. And yet every time economic conditions were bad, the Federal Reserve has pumped the gas and we’ve recovered.

Yesterday Powell decided to quit pumping the brakes,,,,for now.

Let’s see how long this ride lasts.:)

Last edited: