PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
A test drive of the new Asteriou with some C&D Folklore. Nothing brightens up a day more than a fantastic new pipe. Asteriou out did himself on this one. I really love the blend also after sitting for 9 months.
View attachment 262402
Have you tried the first release in ‘22? It’s quite different and although I like both I prefer the 22, it’s not the extra year on it though. The 23 has a much more floral and citrusy nose to it, almost like a light topping.

I just took a time out to load a bowl of each in separate meerschaums and they’re actually like completely different blends. To me at least, I’m no super taster but there’s a marked difference.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
You grabbed that one before I had a chance! I love that pipe. I pulled the trigger on the Asteriou cutty that came up about a week later and have on layaway at SP for purchase after Christmas. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
View attachment 262426
It's a little conservative for my tastes but the shape is exactly what I was looking for from this carver. Now the only one left on my short list is Pastuch. Enjoy that Sphinx!
@Winnipeger I like the shape of this one:)

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
As mentioned above I’m having simultaneous bowls of 22 & 23 folklore, batches 0238 and 0775 respectively. The 22 is in a leather Kiko meer and the 23 is in a meer lined ‘55 Kaywoodie All Briar.

I’m sure someone could point out the differences in leaf age, proportions, and or casing/topping but to me they are separate blends with similarities.
Anyone with both blends want to weigh in on this I’d appreciate your opinion. image.jpg

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
As mentioned above I’m having simultaneous bowls of 22 & 23 folklore, batches 0238 and 0775 respectively. The 22 is in a leather Kiko meer and the 23 is in a meer lined ‘55 Kaywoodie All Briar.

I’m sure someone could point out the differences in leaf age, proportions, and or casing/topping but to me they are separate blends with similarities.
Anyone with both blends want to weigh in on this I’d appreciate your opinion. View attachment 262476
@Birddog66 Have you got the tin of baccy I sent you yet?

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Edit to the above post.
After a lot of smoking, rubbing and sniffing of the two Folklore blends I’m pretty sure the 23 has a much higher proportion of Va’s. I’m sure that’s where the aroma is coming from and it’s what my Va sensitive tongue is telling me. The 22 seems heavier on the Katerini, Kentucky and Perique.
I’d still like to hear other opinion’s though.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Have you tried the first release in ‘22? It’s quite different and although I like both I prefer the 22, it’s not the extra year on it though. The 23 has a much more floral and citrusy nose to it, almost like a light topping.

I just took a time out to load a bowl of each in separate meerschaums and they’re actually like completely different blends. To me at least, I’m no super taster but there’s a marked difference.
Nah, missed that 22 release, got 3 pounds of 23 though. 😂

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Edit to the above post.
After a lot of smoking, rubbing and sniffing of the two Folklore blends I’m pretty sure the 23 has a much higher proportion of Va’s. I’m sure that’s where the aroma is coming from and it’s what my Va sensitive tongue is telling me. The 22 seems heavier on the Katerini, Kentucky and Perique.
I’d still like to hear other opinion’s though.
Sounds like I’d like 22 better. I love VA but have to limit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.