I Want To Strangle Espresso Maker Inventor.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Why is this stupid machine harder to dial it in than smoking pipe? At least I was able to smoke pipe on the day one. Of course, finer things had to be adjusted. And this forum was here. Nobody's giving any definite answer! Dial what in? Have to figure out how to set timing, but the time set isn't exactly when the machine will stop! It could stop faster or slower depends on other variables! And freaking coffee is expensive! Told my wife I like Mr. Coffee!!!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
We have been having a rough go with coffee these past few years. We had a Keurig, brand new, broke within a year. Then started buying the 20.00 coffee pots. Those we would get a year out of and buy another. Went through about 3 of those, 1 per year. Then we started pressing our coffee. First press was plastic, lasted 6 months and cracked badly. Had to be a fluke, bought another. That one cracked exactly the same way. Found out they make stainless steel presses, and electric kettles. The kettle boils within a few minutes, and the stainless press literally can not break! We will never do coffee another way now.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’ve used a Melitta of one sort or another for over 40 years. I also have really nice Italian stove top stainless steel espresso maker that I bought in 1985. I recently added a double-wall stainless steel press that I got on Amazon. Keep the water at 203 and enjoy! Life is too short for weak coffee!

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Why is this stupid machine harder to dial it in than smoking pipe? At least I was able to smoke pipe on the day one. Of course, finer things had to be adjusted. And this forum was here. Nobody's giving any definite answer! Dial what in? Have to figure out how to set timing, but the time set isn't exactly when the machine will stop! It could stop faster or slower depends on other variables! And freaking coffee is expensive! Told my wife I like Mr. Coffee!!!
What brand? I have a Breville Bambino Plus. It makes near perfect espresso without any guesswork or troubleshooting. I roast all my own coffee. Less expensive than buying it roasted, and fresher, but the trade off is more work for me so I am invested in NOT blitzing through coffee just to get the perfect shot. Which is I am glad we have a Breville. Actually, we do blitz through coffee anyway because everybody loves the espresso make so much. But that’s a different problem.

Aug 1, 2012
As a former barista, it takes time, practice, a good machine and attention to the little details. It also takes an ability to source the right beans, and grind them to the proper size. In other words, it takes practice and dedication. Alcohol kills your ability to do it right even if you've got years of experience.

Alternatively, you can do a half assed job with a number of fool proof gadgets and get a result that approaches "decent."

If I want to smoke a pipe and get a decent result it takes a lot less time, money, thought, and practice.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Do have a Bialetti. Do have a French press. I never use them, my wife does. Been very happy with Mr. Coffee. Foolproof, until it craps out on you.

What brand? I have a Breville Bambino Plus. It makes near perfect espresso without any guesswork or troubleshooting. I roast all my own coffee. Less expensive than buying it roasted, and fresher, but the trade off is more work for me so I am invested in NOT blitzing through coffee just to get the perfect shot. Which is I am glad we have a Breville. Actually, we do blitz through coffee anyway because everybody loves the espresso make so much. But that’s a different problem.
Breville Barista Pro. Readjusted top burr to 3. With new grind setting at 14, that's pretty fine grind. I get pretty good shot and a lovely everything. Sweet, not bitter or sour. Puck's like a brick. But the extraction takes 67 sec. I'm supposed to aim for 27 - 30 sec for double shot? 18 g of espresso bean is used. Meaning 36 g should come out. Very close. But 67 sec extraction?

Reactions: dunnyboy and JOHN72

dPero

Jan 15, 2022
Stafilic
Do have a Bialetti. Do have a French press. I never use them, my wife does. Been very happy with Mr. Coffee. Foolproof, until it craps out on you.

Breville Barista Pro. Readjusted top burr to 3. With new grind setting at 14, that's pretty fine grind. I get pretty good shot and a lovely everything. Sweet, not bitter or sour. Puck's like a brick. But the extraction takes 67 sec. I'm supposed to aim for 27 - 30 sec for double shot? 18 g of espresso bean is used. Meaning 36 g should come out. Very close. But 67 sec extraction?
Who cares if you like the taste, it’s not for competition

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

Makes me want to buy one of these. And the grinder.
They do make fine coffee. On occasions, I do take a sip from my wife's cup. But I like easy drinking coffee with a ton of cream. American drip brew can't be beat. Maybe percolator. But Mr. Coffee keeps the coffee warm. More adjustments and wasted coffee. I think I'm getting closer.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
I own a Breville and I love it now but it was a ballache to get it dialed in. Now I just stick to the same beans and the settings stay pretty much the same but sometimes they get out of whack. If they do I know how to fix it but the learning curve really cost me some money.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I got out my Bialetti a while back after many years of not using it. Saw some Starbucks espresso on sale in the market and brought it home. It went very well with the Bialetti, and after foaming up some milk I had a really great espresso. It takes about seven minutes to make a cup on the stovetop with the Bialetti. For drip I use a Ninja.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I own a Breville and I love it now but it was a ballache to get it dialed in. Now I just stick to the same beans and the settings stay pretty much the same but sometimes they get out of whack. If they do I know how to fix it but the learning curve really cost me some money.
Yupe. It's pissing me off pretty good. Now I know all the settings and tricks. I can actually get damn good espresso at 70 sec plus. But that's way too long. I can't get it down any shorter. Any shorter and it doubles the volume and tastes like water.

Reactions: dunnyboy