PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Prices aside, I think the most shocking thing about your experience is that you actually found tinned tobacco in what sounds like a glorified vape shop!

After I walked through the door, I honestly didn’t expect to. If it wouldn’t have been as awkward as I imagined it being, I would have turned around and walked out.

In fairness, it actually looked like they’d tried to make an honest attempt to provide pipe smokers with a few goods, too. It didn’t hold a candle to the incense selection, and it was a bit misguided, but they tried. If I hadn’t been afraid to actually smoke the thing, I would have grabbed one of the meers.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
That’s how all the smoke shops are in the neck of the woods, the exception being a few and far between cigar shops that have a small section of pipe goodies, most not much better than what you describe.
Add all the jurisdictions that have decriminalized/legalized reefer and it’s only worse. Then consider all the tax on RYO tobacco vs pipe tobak and it compounds….

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
That’s how all the smoke shops are in the neck of the woods, the exception being a few and far between cigar shops that have a small section of pipe goodies, most not much better than what you describe.
Add all the jurisdictions that have decriminalized/legalized reefer and it’s only worse. Then consider all the tax on RYO tobacco vs pipe tobak and it compounds….

And that’s what I expected. We have/had a few up here that were decent, although overpriced. If it’s a good selection and they know what they’re doing, at least, I don’t mind spending a little money to help keep the lights on. But this was a head shop with a few tins, although I honestly couldn’t tell from outside. I was expecting more of a cigar shop vibe. Wrong.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Although my house is on the WI side of the border, our nearest town is actually Iron Mountain, MI, just across the Menominee River. And what with MI getting in bed with Mary Jane, the several "tobacco" shops in town feature row upon row upon row of glass pipes. These are attended by shelves (and shelves) of incense (not church incense, mind you), hookahs (and OK I won't deny that my wife and I use a hookah once or twice a year for Ks and Gs), joint rolling paraphernalia, etc.

Pipe-wise, they tyipally carry a few 1 lb. bags of Gambler, a few MMs, and sometimes a few Dr. Grabows.

I sometimes hold out hope that these will be secret honey-holes of Esoteria drops that nobody in the area knows to buy... then I wake up...

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I know that the market dictates what a shop carries, and Iron Mountain MI is hardly a bastion of pipe smoking, but I nevertheless wonder whether a shop couldn't create a market by exposing locals to things they've never before been esposed to.

Like, what if you persuaded a place to let you help them form a respectable pipe wall and tobacco selection -- nothing too fancy at first, but respectable -- and then have you lead a weekly (or bi-weely, or monthly) pipe night there, and then they advertize the heck out of it ... could you pique some guys' curiosity? Could you get some turnout, and begin to build a market?

I don't know. I've wondered about it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To build on SBC's idea, I don't think a vape/head shop would even be the best place to introduce a tobacco pipe corner. It could be any retail business where people would be comfortable adding a pipe and pipe tobacco display and where smoking would be permitted (ah, there's the rub).

On Forums we used to hear about a pipe carver in England (I think it was) who had a table in a railway station. I don't think smoking was necessarily permitted, but people were waiting and welcomed the chance to shop and chat. I think he sold his pipes, some tobacco, and supplies, at a little table where he could presumably safely lock up the inventory when he went home.

Tourist town shops would be another possibility, offering the proprietor a commission on sales. There it would be all impulse sales with not much repeat business, though you could give people a card with a site for online sales.

P.S. The original post is a great description of the shop visit, really vivid; I fell like I was there.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
To build on SBC's idea, I don't think a vape/head shop would even be the best place to introduce a tobacco pipe corner. It could be any retail business where people would be comfortable adding a pipe and pipe tobacco display and where smoking would be permitted (ah, there's the rub).

On Forums we used to hear about a pipe carver in England (I think it was) who had a table in a railway station. I don't think smoking was necessarily permitted, but people were waiting and welcomed the chance to shop and chat. I think he sold his pipes, some tobacco, and supplies, at a little table where he could presumably safely lock up the inventory when he went home.

Tourist town shops would be another possibility, offering the proprietor a commission on sales. There it would be all impulse sales with not much repeat business, though you could give people a card with a site for online sales.

P.S. The original post is a great description of the shop visit, really vivid; I fell like I was there.

This is a neat idea. Aren't there hipster type barber shops which let guys smoke cigars while having their hair cut? I think that I've haerd of this (I wouldn't have visited one as I cut my own hair). If so, they might provide a venue.

F

fMf Piper

Sad, but I had a similar experience recently. A local smoke shop that is part of a regional chain advertises that they have a cigar humidor and pipe tobacco, so I finally stopped in one day. The shop was really small - many doctor's offices have bigger waiting rooms, and the walls were lined with RYO tobacco and accessories. One wall, behind the counter, was all cigarettes. I didn't see a humidor or pipe tobacco, etc., so I asked the chain smoking (seriously, he lit his next cigarette using the cherry of the one he was getting ready to put out) where the humidor was?

Without even looking up, he pointed to the back corner of the shop. So I walked back there, and there was a small, old wooden, what looked like a china cabinet with two shelves, and no temperature control or humidification. Inside was one box of Acid Kuba Kuba cigars, and every flavor of Swisher Sweets I think is available, a couple of Dutch Masters, a small box of cheap Chinese made cobs, and a couple Captain Black varieties.

@BarrelProof, you are a better man than I, as I didn't buy anything and just left. We have a couple of good pipe and cigar shops, but all are a bit of a drive. Now we too have vape shops on every corner. Sad.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Sad, but I had a similar experience recently. A local smoke shop that is part of a regional chain advertises that they have a cigar humidor and pipe tobacco, so I finally stopped in one day. The shop was really small - many doctor's offices have bigger waiting rooms, and the walls were lined with RYO tobacco and accessories. One wall, behind the counter, was all cigarettes. I didn't see a humidor or pipe tobacco, etc., so I asked the chain smoking (seriously, he lit his next cigarette using the cherry of the one he was getting ready to put out) where the humidor was?

Without even looking up, he pointed to the back corner of the shop. So I walked back there, and there was a small, old wooden, what looked like a china cabinet with two shelves, and no temperature control or humidification. Inside was one box of Acid Kuba Kuba cigars, and every flavor of Swisher Sweets I think is available, a couple of Dutch Masters, a small box of cheap Chinese made cobs, and a couple Captain Black varieties.

@BarrelProof, you are a better man than I, as I didn't buy anything and just left. We have a couple of good pipe and cigar shops, but all are a bit of a drive. Now we too have vape shops on every corner. Sad.

In that part of the state, they’ll do just fine selling those tins to tourists during the summer. I’m not too worried about it and I needed the Czech tool, anyways. I’d forgotten to bring one and was tired of using my finger as a tamper!