PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Heya, haven't made a thread in a while.

Just making this one to talk about a new hobby of mine: boxing.

I sacked up to walk into a dedicated boxing club as a fat/big looking 40 year old who last did anything cardio at least 10 years ago. I've been in the gym in many periods, the last 12 months or so very consistently, however I've doing weightlifting (amazing, by the way) so I knew I'd have trouble in a boxing gym.

Been going for 2 months. Great place, coach, and people. I was sort of afraid there'd be a meathead macho bullshit atmosphere (as I'd expect if I was in Greece, though in Switzerland there's not much judgement overall), but there's none of that. There are people from teenagers to a handful older than me, the training is fairly challenging but there's a lot of respect. A lot of pointers from others, how to keep your hands, feet, torso, how to punch. I was self-conscious, huffing and dying in the warm-up for at least the first 4 weeks. Now the warm-up is ok, but in the boxing drills after a while my shoulders start burning and fists hurting like hell.
The coach is great too, shouts from time to time but in a motivating rather than disparaging manner. I'm old enough and have done enough that I wouldn't take that so easily if I detected bullshit. There's a guy who looks permanently pissed and never says hi to anyone bar the coach, and a 20-something kid who tends to overdo everything. Perhaps I'll get in the ring with one or both at some point. Both look very strong and look like they've been doing this for ages so perhaps they'll mop the floor with me, or perhaps not.

I think it took me about 6 weeks for the regulars to consistently acknowledge me and strike a conversation, I think that's fine, it weeds out the jokers.

Cardio has improved dramatically, but with every improvement all I uncover is how little I know from the vast and deep ocean that is boxing. There's so many things to do correctly and simultaneously to stand any sort of chance. Not sparred yet, maybe in a month's time. The coach is adamant that he puts people to spar when they're ready, and ready to learn from it. Never puts two beginners together (because apparently they either go ham and injure each other or circle around without doing anything - neither approach teaching anything).

When I was asked what's the motivation to join - given it is a dedicated amateur boxing club, not a gym, not general martial arts etc - I said I want to get this experience for myself, what's it like to have a fight in a legal and controlled environment. Already learning a lot about myself, like that I am a lot more scared of hitting someone (in the very light contact drills we do) than getting hit. Some people pull such funny faces when they are about to hit or be hit. Also, boxers' punches are HARD, included women's. The correct technique really multiplies the force applied. I know through the light contact that I've had that I'm among the strongest in there, but that doesn't help if nothing ever connects with anything. some of the guys I was practicing with are very very fast, including some big guys. The self discovery experience is perhaps the most amazing aspect. Due to my job I've been in some uncomfortable/stressful situations, however my boss's (and borderline among the best pieces of advice I ever got) advice of "get comfortable being uncomfortable) helped me not quit. The other bit of motivation is that boxing SEEMS like a good balance between martial arts, self defense and actual fighting. I was in a Tae Kwon Do gym as a teenager and never saw a spar, it all looked like stylized theatre. I went to a Krav Maga school for a bit as an adult and again there was a lot of choreography, with the typical bullshido excuse of "this thing being too dangerous to practice with", and less emphasis on the exercise part of it.
On the other hand, MMA/kickboxing looks a lot more violent to me than I'm keen on, and BJJ/wrestling/judo also don't rock my boat. I don't relish the idea of so close contact with other people. Have a friend who's started BJJ though at the same time as I started boxing and we're exchanging notes, he's loving it.

Last edited:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I'm sure you're looking forward to Usyk vs Fury, if it goes through. It'd be a great fight for sure.

When I was in the UK (2000-2012) a friend of mine, very athletic guy who used to play football and rubgy started boxing. He says it was the toughest sport he ever did, before or after. Actually made the Cambridge Uni team and had a fight (which he won) so he was quite good. Funniest thing he said was "Nothing makes people give up seats on the bus like seeing a person with a black eye (from sparring)". Dunno how that'd reflect on my job though, I do client facing (albeit it via video calls) all the time. It may be a conversation piece, it may be seen as unprofessional.
Interestingly I found out my boss also does boxing for years now, however he said he doesn't spar.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Heya, haven't made a thread in a while.

Just making this one to talk about a new hobby of mine: boxing.

I sacked up to walk into a dedicated boxing club as a fat/big looking 40 year old who last did anything cardio at least 10 years ago. I've been in the gym in many periods, the last 12 months or so very consistently, however I've doing weightlifting (amazing, by the way) so I knew I'd have trouble in a boxing gym.

Been going for 2 months. Great place, coach, and people. I was sort of afraid there'd be a meathead macho bullshit atmosphere (as I'd expect if I was in Greece, though in Switzerland there's not much judgement overall), but there's none of that. There are people from teenagers to a handful older than me, the training is fairly challenging but there's a lot of respect. A lot of pointers from others, how to keep your hands, feet, torso, how to punch. I was self-conscious, huffing and dying in the warm-up for at least the first 4 weeks. Now the warm-up is ok, but in the boxing drills after a while my shoulders start burning and fists hurting like hell.
The coach is great too, shouts from time to time but in a motivating rather than disparaging manner. I'm old enough and have done enough that I wouldn't take that so easily if I detected bullshit. There's a guy who looks permanently pissed and never says hi to anyone bar the coach, and a 20-something kid who tends to overdo everything. Perhaps I'll get in the ring with one or both at some point. Both look very strong and look like they've been doing this for ages so perhaps they'll mop the floor with me, or perhaps not.

I think it took me about 6 weeks for the regulars to consistently acknowledge me and strike a conversation, I think that's fine, it weeds out the jokers.
I am sure they get a lot of people that are going to change their lives and then find out how much work it takes and how much time. Wait I can't undo years of neglecting a few weeks!!!!
Cardio has improved dramatically, but with every improvement all I uncover is how little I know from the vast and deep ocean that is boxing. There's so many things to do correctly and simultaneously to stand any sort of chance. Not sparred yet, maybe in a month's time. The coach is adamant that he puts people to spar when they're ready, and ready to learn from it. Never puts two beginners together (because apparently they either go ham and injure each other or circle around without doing anything - neither approach teaching anything).
I think I've had both those guys try and fight me. Neither got far and I am not good at that stuff either.
When I was asked what's the motivation to join - given it is a dedicated amateur boxing club, not a gym, not general martial arts etc - I said I want to get this experience for myself, what's it like to have a fight in a legal and controlled environment. Already learning a lot about myself, like that I am a lot more scared of hitting someone (in the very light contact drills we do) than getting hit. Some people pull such funny faces when they are about to hit or be hit. Also, boxers' punches are HARD, included women's. The correct technique really multiplies the force applied. I know through the light contact that I've had that I'm among the strongest in there, but that doesn't help if nothing ever connects with anything. some of the guys I was practicing with are very very fast, including some big guys.
I've seen guys in fights (pro and otherwise) that can hit hard but have zero grace or agility get mopped up by much smaller weaker people. And if you understand physiology the big fast guy with stamina is even more impressive. Each pound whether fat or muscle adds an incredible amount of distance to how far the blood has to go from one chamber of the heart into the body and back into the fist chamber. Agility and speed require different musculature then strength. Or in other words there are so many systems of the body that have to be operating at peak for that to work.
The self discovery experience is perhaps the most amazing aspect. Due to my job I've been in some uncomfortable/stressful situations, however my boss's (and borderline among the best pieces of advice I ever got) advice of "get comfortable being uncomfortable) helped me not quit. The other bit of motivation is that boxing SEEMS like a good balance between martial arts, self defense and actual fighting. I was in a Tae Kwon Do gym as a teenager and never saw a spar, it all looked like stylized theatre. I went to a Krav Maga school for a bit as an adult and again there was a lot of choreography, with the typical bullshido excuse of "this thing being too dangerous to practice with", and less emphasis on the exercise part of it.
Sad fact all it takes to teach these things is the ability to charge people who will pay.
On the other hand, MMA/kickboxing looks a lot more violent to me than I'm keen on, and BJJ/wrestling/judo also don't rock my boat. I don't relish the idea of so close contact with other people. Have a friend who's started BJJ though at the same time as I started boxing and we're exchanging notes, he's loving it.
Nice this post was way more interesting then I thought it would be. Glad you're getting something out of it.

Reactions: karam

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was a very skinny college underclassman and took a boxing class for my PE requirements. By the second or third session, everyone within one or two weight classes of me had dropped out. I guess that shows they were brighter than I was. I was masterful on the light bag, could really drum out some nifty percussion.

When it got down to really facing off, I was badly outmatched. One big lanky Irish kid introduced me to a whole galaxy of stars after catching me with a left hook in a routine sparring session.

For a final bout, the coach matched me with a much bigger guy who was just cautious and therefore not likely to take out too many of my brain cells, so it wasn't much of a fight.

The second lightest weight kid in the class was all cable-bound muscle and gave quite an exhibition with a heavier guy.

I took some pride in staying in the class and probably lost a few IQ points in the process.

My other PE was gymnastics, at which I was terrible but did a good write-up on a gymnastic meet that got me a C in the class.

My other two classes were in badminton at which I was a pretty good competitor, but not as good as in the backyard where most opponents weren't 18-year-olds. And foil fencing at which I was pretty good, and the coach said I might be competitive in epee, a slightly different sport than foil which favors very thin competitors.

But that was about enough boxing for me. Luckily, I stayed on my feet.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I am sure they get a lot of people that are going to change their lives and then find out how much work it takes and how much time. Wait I can't undo years of neglecting a few weeks!!!!

I think I've had both those guys try and fight me. Neither got far and I am not good at that stuff either.

I've seen guys in fights (pro and otherwise) that can hit hard but have zero grace or agility get mopped up by much smaller weaker people. And if you understand physiology the big fast guy with stamina is even more impressive. Each pound whether fat or muscle adds an incredible amount of distance to how far the blood has to go from one chamber of the heart into the body and back into the fist chamber. Agility and speed require different musculature then strength. Or in other words there are so many systems of the body that have to be operating at peak for that to work.

Sad fact all it takes to teach these things is the ability to charge people who will pay.

Nice this post was way more interesting then I thought it would be. Glad you're getting something out of it.
I think there's many ways to approach it. I have a friend who did kickboxing for years and never fought anyone, did it just for the exercise aspect - which I imagine is great, as it is with boxing.

It's FOR SURE more interesting and fun than doing cardio in a gym. My wife goes to a dance/exercise class, the only reason she goes is that it guarantees that she'll exercise as she doesn't have the motivation to do it solo. When I lifted weights I loved it because I set my pace, but also had to motivate myself.

The third point is why I am looking forward to the Usyk vs Fury fight, if it happens. Fury is a freak of nature, he manages to be super technical and intelligent while having somewhat of a dad bod WHILE being absurdly tall. Usyk on the other hand is even more technical, super fast, but clearly is nowhere near as strong as most heavyweights, so he wins on skill and technique.

Re: bullshido hacks, when martial arts were raging popular in Greece in the 80s you had gyms popping up like mushrooms, with everyone claiming they know the secret art of the dragon, lost for 1000 years etc. A lot of them DID provide pretty good fitness classes, but in terms of martial arts I have no idea. With boxing though a benefit is that if someone puts up a claim of being XYZ, they need to be able to be found on boxing records. This I believe separates a lot of the chaff.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I actually reached out to a club up here about a year ago and never heard anything back. They have a sign on the building but I never see the lights on and haven’t given enough of a crap to get serious about finding them. I was approaching it from a fitness perspective while also adding a different technical element to the training I received in the army.

I’ve been looking for something to do this spring/summer apart from riding my bike. Perhaps I’ll rekindle my desire to learn another style of fighting and use your story as motivation to go bang on the door of the boxing club if I ever see the lights on.

Reactions: JOHN72

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Go for it! It's great from an exercise perspective for sure. I think you don't lack the motivation, there's a camaraderie in combat sports that is not too dissimilar from army service. I always smile to see two guys hug and thank each other (for the lesson) after having beaten the shit out of each other :)

Reactions: JOHN72

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
In my experience only skipping and squash can compete with the exhaustion level of a minute of sparring!!!!

I will not do anything that compromises my bread winning hands, but I very briefly enjoyed boxing for a moment in my 20's.

Good on you!

Reactions: JOHN72 and karam

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think there's many ways to approach it. I have a friend who did kickboxing for years and never fought anyone, did it just for the exercise aspect - which I imagine is great, as it is with boxing.
that's certainly more interesting then sit ups :)
It's FOR SURE more interesting and fun than doing cardio in a gym. My wife goes to a dance/exercise class, the only reason she goes is that it guarantees that she'll exercise as she doesn't have the motivation to do it solo. When I lifted weights I loved it because I set my pace, but also had to motivate myself.
Dancing is half the reason I am not a fat fat man. Just a chubby man.
The third point is why I am looking forward to the Usyk vs Fury fight, if it happens. Fury is a freak of nature, he manages to be super technical and intelligent while having somewhat of a dad bod WHILE being absurdly tall.
I am right below dad bod
Usyk on the other hand is even more technical, super fast, but clearly is nowhere near as strong as most heavyweights, so he wins on skill and technique.

Re: bullshido hacks, when martial arts were raging popular in Greece in the 80s you had gyms popping up like mushrooms, with everyone claiming they know the secret art of the dragon, lost for 1000 years etc. A lot of them DID provide pretty good fitness classes, but in terms of martial arts I have no idea.
There are many videos clearing up that many of them couldn't fight a toddler if the toddler had one hand tied behind their back. It's one of the few times watching an out classed person getting their ass kicked is hilarious.
With boxing though a benefit is that if someone puts up a claim of being XYZ, they need to be able to be found on boxing records. This I believe separates a lot of the chaff.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I did about 6 months of boxing, best cardio I've ever experienced. I pivoted to bjj, but would like to try kick boxing for exercise and stress relief.

Reactions: JOHN72 and karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I will not do anything that compromises my bread winning hands, but I very briefly enjoyed boxing for a moment in my 20's.
Fair point, the coach told me his hands are permanently numb, and I observed a slight shake when he's writing something. A lot of talk about brain damage over time, but less about back, knee, and hand injuries.
A friend of mine competed at volleyball from a young age, she developed arthritis in her early 30s and is on a cocktail of drugs now...

• Wow
Reactions: dPero

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I did about 6 months of boxing, best cardio I've ever experienced. I pivoted to bjj, but would like to try kick boxing for exercise and stress relief.
Wouldn't boxing and BJJ give a great foundation for MMA? I like to watch MMA but damn is it brutal. When occasionally my kids walk in the room I turn it off, it's just too violent.

Reactions: NomadOrb

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I was a big boxing fan as a kid. Copies of The Ring everywhere, had several sets of gloves, an overstuffed laundry bag hanging in my parent's basement, etc. Joined a Boys Club sort of place to be able to fight other kids.

As I got older that turned into a legit heavy bag, a properly mounted speed bag, a bungee bag, and (for me) serious road work.

Then off to the Marines, where I knocked flat any challengers in the bootcamp "settle your shit" sessions that the DI's declared several times.

Off to further training and a final fixed post at Camp Lejeune, and discovered that the BEQ held informal Sunday afternoon matches in the courtyard every now and again, which led to my becoming the BEQ "champ" and one of the dumbest things I ever did.

Lejeune is the home of the Marine Corps, so where the MC boxing team is based. Their gym---the Snakepit---was under the base stadium only a half mile away, and periodically they held tryouts for the MC team. Most of those guys "came up" through organized events properly, but walk-ons were allowed.

You can see where this is going.

The BEQ guy I'd beaten was pretty good (everyone told me) so I should go try out!!!

Yeah! That's the ticket!

So. I signed up and went to the tryout elimination event. They matched up the walk-ons/unknowns with each other at first, of course, and I dispatched two of them.

Hell yeah, this is EASY, Jack! Feed me another!

My third match was with an existing MC team member.

HOWEVER, because I had zero experience with how things were done there, I didn't know that the drill was to start slow so the coaches could check movement & etc. Not "fight for real" until the SECOND round. So I went for it straight away. Jabbed my ass off and landed a solid shot in the first 15 seconds, then stepped back, feinted, and moved in again. A few more jabs is all I remember.

...then bright lights, and guys leaning over me.

I had a headache for three days afterward and felt like I'd been in a car wreck.

What had gone wrong? The guy I'd crowded and tried to (improperly) thump straight out of the gate---and thus piss off mightily---was Leon Spinks.

The same Leon Spinks who would win a gold medal at the Olympics a year later, and beat Muhammad Ali to win the heavyweight championship of the world not long after that.

In hindsight, I'm reasonably sure that walk-ons are something the MC team allows purely for the entertainment value. It makes for great comedy.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Wouldn't boxing and BJJ give a great foundation for MMA? I like to watch MMA but damn is it brutal. When occasionally my kids walk in the room I turn it off, it's just too violent.
They're definitely 2 of the core pillars. I would include wrestling and kick boxing/muay thai.

I'm a huge mma fan, so I figured I'd actually see what's up. Been doing bjj for 5 years now, it's a great full body workout.