PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I remember being invited to a very 'private' bare knuckle boxing match at the back of a pub in Sheffield back in the early 1980's.

If I remember there were 2 fights and the spectacle was incredible. Though highly illegal I believe these matches still take place at private venues if you know where to look..

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: karam and simong

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
So Tyson Fury pulled out of the Usyk fight. Guy's plain and simple not a good athlete, competitor or fighter. He's got tons of money, he got the split he wanted, Usyk has the belts Fury would need to be considered an all-time great and yet he dodged the fight. Disappointing.

Reactions: seanv

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Fury is a tough guy but he is a chump and one of the all time dirtiest boxers. Usyk would have a tough time with the way Fury uses his size. I'm not sure who would win but I hope we find out.

Wilder wants a shot at Usyk now and I hope gets it but Usyk will likely make him look like an amateur with the way he moves. As much as I like Wilder, without committing to using his jab he is too much of a one punch fighter. That being said if he does land that punch it is usually the end of the night.

Today and tonight is absolutely loaded with boxing. Okolie vs Light card is on now. Ramirez vs Commey and Benavides vs Plant are both on tonight. I am taking Okolie, Commey and Plant.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Fury is a tough guy but he is a chump and one of the all time dirtiest boxers. Usyk would have a tough time with the way Fury uses his size. I'm not sure who would win but I hope we find out.

Wilder wants a shot at Usyk now and I hope gets it but Usyk will likely make him look like an amateur with the way he moves. As much as I like Wilder, without committing to using his jab he is too much of a one punch fighter. That being said if he does land that punch it is usually the end of the night.

Today and tonight is absolutely loaded with boxing. Okolie vs Light card is on now. Ramirez vs Commey and Benavides vs Plant are both on tonight. I am taking Okolie, Commey and Plant.
Totally agree! Usyk is not strong by heavyweight standards, but his movement is sublime. Wilder vs Usyk is something I’d like to watch too. Wilder indeed has a ferocious punch, showed it in Fury vs Wilder 3. Really dislike Fury nowadays though can’t take away that he also is an amazing mover for any size, even more so considering how tall he is.

Reactions: seanv

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I tried boxing when I was in my 30's. I was very fit and strong, but incredibly slow of reflexes. A buddy, a former US Army Golden Gloves fighter was re-entering boxing, primarily as a way to get into the new sport of bare knuckle fighting. He needed a sparring partner. I got the snot beat out of me for about six months before giving up. It was about the hardest sport I ever attempted..

You are right to get into shape at 50. At 60, its a whole new ballgame, so do it now! I re-entered cycling a few years ago, and that has become my passion and means to fitness. I've been in the restaurant business for over 40 years. No one ever says "hey, look how fit that retired restaurant guy is". I vow not to be that guy!

Reactions: karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I tried boxing when I was in my 30's. I was very fit and strong, but incredibly slow of reflexes. A buddy, a former US Army Golden Gloves fighter was re-entering boxing, primarily as a way to get into the new sport of bare knuckle fighting. He needed a sparring partner. I got the snot beat out of me for about six months before giving up. It was about the hardest sport I ever attempted..

You are right to get into shape at 50. At 60, its a whole new ballgame, so do it now! I re-entered cycling a few years ago, and that has become my passion and means to fitness. I've been in the restaurant business for over 40 years. No one ever says "hey, look how fit that retired restaurant guy is". I vow not to be that guy!
40 :)

Don't know what exactly it is about boxing practice which drains you so much, also sweating so bad you literally feel glued to the mat. I haven't done another proper combat sport but I've played basketball and football (soccer...) before, a lot of weightlifting. I think it's a combination of both physical and mental/emotional challenge. It looks simple from the outside and literally beats you up when you're in it!

Only thing coming close was an amazing thing I did when I was in the UK called BritMilFit. It was run by former military men and women, done in absolutely any weather. Was in essence a HIIT, but these people managed to strike an amazing balance between challenge, being interesting and being funny. They had a bit of a Full Metal Jacket style to them, but never offensive. I think only Brits can pull this balance off. Nothing's came close to being a fun yet very challenging exercise for me. I think trainers were hoping for bad weather, I vividly remember once there was heavy rain, they took us to the lowest elevation point of the park, had us form a line, legs spread, the last person on the line had to crawl under everyone else, once they were out the next one would go. Two teams, losing team did jumping jacks, winning team did pushups, then go again. Guaranteed crawling through the elbow-deep mud, was so much fun and liberating! Only bad thing was just how messed clothes would get at the end of it.