PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
I’m a US-based pipesmoker and not a C&D fan—so I’m probably the least-qualified person here to talk about this—but I’m actually surprised at the level of price shock some have had regarding the potential pricing for these tins. 25 euros for a 2oz/50g tin of tobacco doesn’t seem outrageous to me, especially when you consider what folks in some other countries/areas are paying. It’s not even that far off from what I’m paying here in Michigan, when you add on excise tax and sales tax.
Some years ago, some G. L. Pease and Cornell & Diehl brands were briefly imported to Spain at 22 euros per tin. Back then, customs were lax so you could order from the USA and only a few packages were stopped. Furthermore, Samuel Gawith tins were (if I remember correctly) well under 10 euros.
Now, with Samuel Gawith at nearly 22.8 euros and some Rattray's 50 gram tins at around 15, I miss not having to order them at Switzerland for the same 22 euros.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I frequented a shop in Switzerland this past spring/summer and they had a range of C&D blends, along with G.L. Pease.

Was this "illegal" tobacco?

It was ridiculously overpriced. $28 Euro for a two gram tin if I remember right. I bought just one during the whole time. The date stamp was over 3 years old. Checked a number of their tins and all were around the same age. Didn't look like they were moving it, and the guy seemed surprised that someone was actually pulling it off the shelf.

Their Gawith section was all fresh tins... but well stocked.

Quite sure it wasn't priced as "aged tobacco". It will be interesting to see if it takes off there. Real interested to see how it is priced.

Some excellent blends. Hopefully they throw in some Pease as well and find a way to be competitive with the local blends.
Not at all illegal, Switzerland has had C&D for ages, but they are expensive. Either way Switzerland also has great supply of G&H and SG which are far superior to anything C&D make. Now if only we had access to HU tobaccos…

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This is great news. Even though I have full range of most of their tobaccos, this means they are getting bigger as a company. Less chance for death.

How do you think they chose this list?

Reactions: karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
This is great news. Even though I have full range of most of their tobaccos, this means they are getting bigger as a company. Less chance for death.

How do you think they chose this list?
My thoughts exactly! I may not be a fan, but I wish all the best for them since they are one of the few who're keeping up pipe tobacco blending!

Reactions: didimauw

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
We have been sending to various countries in Europe for the last year or so - Spain gets regular shipments, there has also been shipments to Germany, France, Belgium and other places over the last several months.
Are you planning to ship to Greece as well? Here we have a real problem with the availability of pipe tobacco.

Reactions: paulfg