PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
...this is a revenue collector and nothing else.

Apparently Mr. Zuckerberg plans to charge folk a fee to verify who they are. Did he not see what happened when another American zillionaire did the very same thing only to have it turn around and bite him in his backside?

And this bit absolutely stinks..

"Meta said Instagram usernames will have to match a government supplied ID document to be granted verification, and users will have to have a profile picture that includes their face".

The mid boggles cray

Regards,

Jay.

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72 and brian64
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Eh this only impacts verified accounts, ie - high profile people. This has nothing to do with your or I. The fact that they “verified” accounts without proper identification is more concerning.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
...this is a revenue collector and nothing else.

Apparently Mr. Zuckerberg plans to charge folk a fee to verify who they are. Did he not see what happened when another American zillionaire did the very same thing only to have it turn around and bite him in his backside?

And this bit absolutely stinks..

"Meta said Instagram usernames will have to match a government supplied ID document to be granted verification, and users will have to have a profile picture that includes their face".

The mid boggles cray

Regards,

Jay.
I wonder if in the past the Titans of industry would have made such fools of themselves it they lived now with the general lack of privacy it seems people have volunteered away for their internet addictions? Or are the tech billionaires just a different breed of disconnected, suspiciously alien acting, weirdos?
It's funny the choices these guys make leads me to believe their success so far was at least 80% luck.

Reactions: Deano

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I refuse to care about anyone’s passion play where being “verified” validates their being.

We’ve fallen so far down the slipper slope into the offal.

“Verified” resembles a digital participation trophy for weaklings.
or if you're a company or very visibly public person, it's a matter of business. It's not that different then an official seal. If anyone can pretend to be you then anyone can say whatever they want for you. Imagine the headache you'd have if someone claimed you had services you can't do. If you care or not doesn't change the fact it could cause serious problems for any venture.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It will be a cold day in hell before I let Zuckerberg have my government verified data. I have no problem with Facebook as I only use it to keep track of pipe people I like. Twitter is quite useful,

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
or if you're a company or very visibly public person, it's a matter of business. It's not that different then an official seal. If anyone can pretend to be you then anyone can say whatever they want for you. Imagine the headache you'd have if someone claimed you had services you can't do. If you care or not doesn't change the fact it could cause serious problems for any venture.
See, this is easy.

I don’t rely on social media to figure out the world.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The most interesting thing about "Zuck" and his peers is ... they have FU money and really do not be concerned in the consequences of their actions. Or even what "we" think. As Mel Brooks said in the "The History of the World ...." "It's good to be the King."

It will be a cold day in hell before I let Zuckerberg have my government verified data.

Most of one's "government verified data" (Undefined above but, I think I understand.) is readily available. Be it military, social security activity, and so forth. FOI's make even that wee bit of information, theoretically protected, available for those with a serious curiosity. Then there are the inadvertent releases of info by banks, insurance companies and such. Not to mention account hacking as "secure" computers really are not.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
See, this is easy.

I don’t rely on social media to figure out the world.
but it's not part of your business which makes sense. Though I've known a few business owners that had to get verified accounts because someone else was posing as them and yes it effected their ability to run their business as they wanted to. The point is that for many businesses it's not really optional to not verify themselves and their info. And that's been the reality of many industries for pretty much for ever it's just digital now. It's just a small operational cost now.
If you couldn't prove who you are imagine how easy it would be to get a boycott on a brand you don't like by just saying what ever is inflammatory to their target audience. "animal testing isn't just practical it's really fun" says Nabisco. (trying to go a bit dark and silly).
Just how it is and how it's mostly been forever with a few critical details changed.

Reactions: dunnyboy

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
but it's not part of your business which makes sense. Though I've known a few business owners that had to get verified accounts because someone else was posing as them and yes it effected their ability to run their business as they wanted to. The point is that for many businesses it's not really optional to not verify themselves and their info. And that's been the reality of many industries for pretty much for ever it's just digital now. It's just a small operational cost now.
If you couldn't prove who you are imagine how easy it would be to get a boycott on a brand you don't like by just saying what ever is inflammatory to their target audience. "animal testing isn't just practical it's really fun" says Nabisco. (trying to go a bit dark and silly).
Just how it is and how it's mostly been forever with a few critical details changed.
Well cancelling businesses isn’t really that hard. People conspire all the time to cancel and boycott.

If you succumb to social pressure and apologize you’re cooked.

How does paying for a check mark stop that madness?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Well cancelling businesses isn’t really that hard. People conspire all the time to cancel and boycott.

If you succumb to social pressure and apologize you’re cooked.

How does paying for a check mark stop that madness?
I hear you people are soft and cutable. So why would they wear PPE.
And I mean sure a lot of business has always been about reading and dealing with social things, like how salesman rarely call new clients names, but they should stop thinking about that totally.
Well again I hear you. Buildings burn so why worry about the lit candles being near the open window with curtains. I mean you can't stop that from ever happening so why minimize the risks, especially the very avoidable and controllable risks. Or in other words because it's worth more to spend some money to make more money and not lose even more in a way that is very easy to do. You know as I am sure you understand the concept of risk and reward.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I hear you people are soft and cutable. So why would they wear PPE.
And I mean sure a lot of business has always been about reading and dealing with social things, like how salesman rarely call new clients names, but they should stop thinking about that totally.
Well again I hear you. Buildings burn so why worry about the lit candles being near the open window with curtains. I mean you can't stop that from ever happening so why minimize the risks, especially the very avoidable and controllable risks. Or in other words because it's worth more to spend some money to make more money and not lose even more in a way that is very easy to do. You know as I am sure you understand the concept of risk and reward.
Feel free to fight for verification.

I don’t look for verification as a badge of honor or reliability.

Politicians and Journalists are verified and spew propaganda all the time.

We obviously view verified differently.

As for fire, I don’t give a shit if someone transfers gas with an unprotected motor, smokes in bed or uses candles near drapes.

I worship stupidity. I earn a living on peoples ignorance and bravado.

Death and destruction is my business and business is good.

Reactions: sablebrush52