PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Several years back it was available most of the time. It’s a bold smoke, but a little subdued compared to the brown twist, or brown bogie. There’s a video floating around on black twist being made on the interwebs somewhere.

I like to slice it into very thin coins and give a whirl in my coffee grinder. A thinner shag cut burns well for me. If the ribbons are too thick they don’t seem to burn as well.

DeerparkDays

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 30, 2022
Dannevirke, New Zealand
Hey Craig61a.
What a fantastic video, thank you for sharing, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.
That mill would be a modern H&S persons nightmare…..lol.
And the “can’t be good for the stomach” followed by “personally, I don’t take it” comments made me laugh, in a good way!
I love the old school way things used to be made. Water wheel mills should be brought back into our world that is questing for sustainability.
Once again, thanks very much for sharing.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
If so many people do not like it, why is it perpetually sold out…?
FOMO in my opinion! It's Gawith, it's an unusual preparation nowadays that basically only Gawith has the equipment to produce. I have easy access to pugs and rope here but overall not crazy for the ropes, especially not the black one.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Count ourselves lucky that we’ve got a good selection of ropes & twist still being made! Be a sad day if they ever disappear.
Brown, Rum & Aniseed for me. Pre sliced for preference.
I’ve always been intrigued by the anisee one. My favourite is the coconut. I have tried the aromatic, very Turkish delight like, it’s good but nothing on the rum or plain.

My favourite size of the black twist is the pigtail. I enjoy it straight or mixed 50:50 with brown rope.

Reactions: simong and jpberg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
FOMO in my opinion! It's Gawith, it's an unusual preparation nowadays that basically only Gawith has the equipment to produce. I have easy access to pugs and rope here but overall not crazy for the ropes, especially not the black one.
It's been popular for many years, before the recent influx of new pipe smokers who think they need to buy and cellar 25 pounds of the stuff...

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
@craig61a, This is the first time I've seen this video and I want thank you for uploading it!

I've smoked the Irish XX, and the Brown Boogie for many years, but never seen how it was made or made into the rope.

Many times I've heard it EXPLAINED how it is made, but SEEING it done is an all new experience.

Now I know how labor intensive it is to make, and that gives me a new appreciation for it as I smoke a bowl...

Again, thanks for sharing the knowledge!

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Just had those old heavy machines, not so much left, in mind to press vinyl records. A lot of preparation, heat, tons of pressure to shape a clump of dust into a high end product.

It’s also a process that is a leftover of a once flourishing industry almost an anachronism. And the results were and still are suberb, same as the GH ropes are.