PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
When I first found online U.S. tobacconists, the vast range of blends left me a bit bewildered in a sea of choice.
Fortunately members on pipe forums put me onto Tobacco Reviews where I found Jim Inks reviews most reliable and accurate.
Apart from getting a good idea of what to expect from a blend, Jim is the only reviewer who gives an accurate account of the nicotine levels [Sorry Stevie B but you're all over the place mate. Nonetheless you have earned a participation ribbon and a gold star to slap on your forehead as an encouragement award puffy ]
After around 35 years of smoking cigarettes, in the later years my cravings had become ridiculous. [Why I switched to a pipe]
Although I've since come to the conclusion that the nicotine was less to blame for cravings than some of the 300 to 600 chemicals that are added to tailor-made cigs, regardless of the cause, smoking unadulterated pipe tobacco blends with mild Vit N has gotten that monkey off my back.
@JimInks your reviews have been a huge help in assisting me to choose untried blends that suit my needs.
Your reviews also helped me to 'go out on a limb' and venture into other genres.
For example; after trying a sample of Becks ol' Limey Bastard, that had a bag note that I described as "Asphalt, burnt rubber and butt", I was pleasantly surprised to find later on, that there were Latakia blends where the leaf did not dominate or overwhelm. [Puffing on Balkan Sobranie Match as I type puffy]
Your reviews helped me to get there.
Just wanted you to know Jim, that your dedication to the pipe smoking community through your reviews, has been the single biggest influence on improving my enjoyment tenfold.
Very much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
When I first found online U.S. tobacconists, the vast range of blends left me a bit bewildered in a sea of choice.
Fortunately members on pipe forums put me onto Tobacco Reviews where I found Jim Inks reviews most reliable and accurate.
Apart from getting a good idea of what to expect from a blend, Jim is the only reviewer who gives an accurate account of the nicotine levels [Sorry Stevie B but you're all over the place mate. Nonetheless you have earned a participation ribbon and a gold star to slap on your forehead as an encouragement award puffy ]
After around 35 years of smoking cigarettes, in the later years my cravings had become ridiculous. [Why I switched to a pipe]
Although I've since come to the conclusion that the nicotine was less to blame for cravings than some of the 300 to 600 chemicals that are added to tailor-made cigs, regardless of the cause, smoking unadulterated pipe tobacco blends with mild Vit N has gotten that monkey off my back.
@JimInks your reviews have been a huge help in assisting me to choose untried blends that suit my needs.
Your reviews also helped me to 'go out on a limb' and venture into other genres.
For example; after trying a sample of Becks ol' Limey Bastard, that had a bag note that I described as "Asphalt, burnt rubber and butt", I was pleasantly surprised to find later on, that there were Latakia blends where the leaf did not dominate or overwhelm. [Puffing on Balkan Sobranie Match as I type puffy]
Your reviews helped me to get there.
Just wanted you to know Jim, that your dedication to the pipe smoking community through your reviews, has been the single biggest influence on improving my enjoyment tenfold.
Very much appreciated. Thank you.
Thanking you as a reply is an inadequate response, but it's the best I can do. I am pleased beyond words that my reviews have helped you on your pipe tobacco journey. You make what I do worth the time I spend.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK...

It's time to Tell All

Jim is actually an artificial intelligence researcher/scientist who created what amounts to a sentient being from millions of lines of code, and runs it on a Selene supercomputer in his basement.

He just takes a puff from some new blend, and Selene's cameras interpret his facial expressions and body language for ten seconds. A written review appears a minute later on his desktop iMac.

Then he presses send.

(The world is never quite what you thought it was, is it?)

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 11.00.06 PM.png

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
OK...

It's time to Tell All

Jim is actually an artificial intelligence researcher/scientist who created what amounts to a sentient being from millions of lines of code, and runs it on a Selene supercomputer in his basement.

He just takes a puff from some new blend, and Selene's cameras interpret his facial expressions and body language for ten seconds. A written review appears a minute later on his desktop iMac.

Then he presses send.

View attachment 197620
Something like the grabow automatic smoking machine?

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
OK...

It's time to Tell All

Then he presses send.

View attachment 197620
Blabber mouth!!!!! :)

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
As a relatively new pipe smoker, (two or three years now, Cuban cigars for over 10,) your reviews have been incredibly helpful! Entering the world of pipe tobacco can be overwhelming with so many blends available and types of tobacco. Sometimes it's hard to know where to start. Your reviews are wonderful - they give a great overview of exactly what the tobacco is about and all the nuances of the blend etc.. Congrats on so many reviews - your wealth of knowledge that you've chosen to share with the pipe community is a great asset to us all.

Reactions: JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
As a relatively new pipe smoker, (two or three years now, Cuban cigars for over 10,) your reviews have been incredibly helpful! Entering the world of pipe tobacco can be overwhelming with so many blends available and types of tobacco. Sometimes it's hard to know where to start. Your reviews are wonderful - they give a great overview of exactly what the tobacco is about and all the nuances of the blend etc.. Congrats on so many reviews - your wealth of knowledge that you've chosen to share with the pipe community is a great asset to us all.
I'm glad that the reviews are of help to you. Thank you for the kind acknowledgement.