PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
As with anything else, there are estates and estates. If you're worried about the cleanliness of a pipe someone else has used, buy from a reputable dealer. There are many online. The pipe comes in pristine shape, spic and span, and you can always return it for a refund if you're not happy.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Porous material vs nonporous. It's my phobia and I own it. I worked in the restaurant biz for a few years and have seen cherry tomatoes roll across the kitchen floor and end up on a salad. I haven't eaten a cherry tomato at a restaurant since. I also never send food back or piss off the server.
Has no sense. The part that has contact with the mouth is not porous and the other part is a damn oven that carries fire.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
There are only a very few of viruses or bacteria that can live on or in a pipe for more than a few hours and these are very rare. But for the sake of cleanliness just give the estate pipe a good cleaning with grain alcohol and you'll be fine.
That's true.
I'm a mate drinker, its almost imposible get some disease from a pipe.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not phobic, I simply prefer my pipes new, eye catching on display and physically inspected before moneys change hands. Same with everything I buy, underwear, socks, vehicles, homes, food and so forth. I'm simply not interested in castoffs and hand-me downs. I would buy a used pipe if it carried some historical significance properly authenticated.

The only warning I'd give you is to know what your buying, check the return policy and the reputation of the seller. I have a policy that I only buy new pipes. I'm not interested in pipes which haven't caught my eye and I haven't physically inspected. So, no used pipes ... ever! And yes, there are reputable vendors of used pipes.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Hell, it's no different than eating at a restaurant or do those repulsed by estate pipes bring their own plates and silverware?"

Big ... big difference. What health organization provides routine inspections with regard to used pipes? In my town kitchens and eating areas are inspected for temperature, cleanliness and so forth. To my knowledge, there is no regulation with regard to selling used pipes. Well, except for customer feedback. Which includes what insurance the vendor carries should sold pipe result in illness or death? A far fetched idea to sure but, not out of the realm of possibility.

Check the vendor's rep before buying is all I'm suggesting.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
"Hell, it's no different than eating at a restaurant or do those repulsed by estate pipes bring their own plates and silverware?"

Big ... big difference. What health organization provides routine inspections with regard to used pipes? In my town kitchens and eating areas are inspected for temperature, cleanliness and so forth. To my knowledge, there is no regulation with regard to selling used pipes. Well, except for customer feedback. Which includes what insurance the vendor carries should sold pipe result in illness or death? A far fetched idea to sure but, not out of the realm of possibility.

Check the vendor's rep before buying is all I'm suggesting.
And even with those regulations things aren't perfect. Granted estate pipes aren't regulated, I have yet to hear of anyone blowing water out of their ass for two days from a tainted used pipe. I say this in good humor, I do see your point. It is a personal choice and I understand if someone doesn't want a used pipe. I was kind of stand offish at first myself.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I'm with @didimauw I only swap spit with one person these days and she doesn't smoke a pipe. In my free wheeling college days I swapped spit and pipes on a regular basis. I also have a friend who works the ER and a pipe is one of many things he has removed from an orifice thats not a mouth. I do love and appreciate the pipes of yesteryear and often wish I didn't have that phobia.
Wrong kind of pipe. You can't get a gerbil through a Savinelli.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I've definitely been grossed out by unclean glassware in a restaurant or bar, but not by a used pipe that's been properly sanitized. My preference is to buy estate pipes with no toothmarks on the stem though. I don't need a reminder that some dead slob used to drool and slobber on the same stem I'm currently drooling and slobbering on. YMMV

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Well, I’m either immortal or I almost exclusively buy estates.

Someone, anyone, steer me to this manufacturer or artisan in 2023

Top - 1897 BBB Meer with Amber Stem
Middle - 1900 BBB Briar with Amber Stem
Bottom - Late 1800’s Ox Blood Meer with Amber Stem
3FEB227A-E8C8-4F6B-8C04-608315E6D252.jpeg
5EA91345-B6C8-4C50-BC5A-1A6775349F34.jpeg
A33500BD-891D-462C-BDC0-590D32180D34.jpeg

Or this collection of early 1900’s Loewe
3A61460E-3AD3-4A7C-9B72-4F276952550C.jpeg

I’ll stick with estates for the majority of my collection