PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Estate pipes are cool because you can find models out of production you like. Plus prices can be cheap as a lot of people don't know anything about pipes. Not suggesting scamming anyone, just saying sometimes you get a good deal. I found one recently for 50 thats worth 100 and I didn't know it at the time.

But I would never order an estate pipe with out asking a thousand questions and seeing the same amount of high quality pics. One time I ordered an estate and received a comically tiny pipe that my daughter wanted for her Ken doll. lol lesson learned. And no Ken didn't get a new pipe lol.

But yes old Savs taken care of are great smokers.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
@colt54 , @didimauw is in the minority of pipe smokers who feel grossed out by the thought of smoking a pipe that somebody else smoked first. He probably also flushes his toilet with his foot in case his wife ever touched the handle ;-)

If you're uncomfortable with the idea of an estate, don't get an estate. There are millions of wonderful new pipes to be had.

Many of us get excited about estates for various other reasons, but if that's not your thing, that's fine.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
@colt54 , @didimauw is in the minority of pipe smokers who feel grossed out by the thought of smoking a pipe that somebody else smoked first. He probably also flushes his toilet with his foot in case his wife ever touched the handle ;-)

If you're uncomfortable with the idea of an estate, don't get an estate. There are millions of wonderful new pipes to be had.

Many of us get excited about estates for various other reasons, but if that's not your thing, that's fine.
SALIVASSSS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
hi forum I hear so much about estate pipes are new pipes like savinelli ok to buy or what?
Since my favorite brand of pipe hasn't been in production for over 60 years, the estate market is the only way I'm going to obtain them. Buying an estate pipe that been well maintained is generally a good value, a lot more band for the buck, and you have a wider selection of makes and styles to choose from.

There are some people who are horrified at the thought of putting their mouth in the same place that someone else's has been, and I assume they married virgins.

I don't care. Once I've done a deep cleaning and sanitizing I'm good to go. K also have pipes that I bought new, pipes I've commissioned, but the bulk are estates and I've been very satisfied with the results.

TN Jed

Lifer
Feb 3, 2022
Franklin, TN
www.battlefields.org
I'm with @didimauw I only swap spit with one person these days and she doesn't smoke a pipe. In my free wheeling college days I swapped spit and pipes on a regular basis. I also have a friend who works the ER and a pipe is one of many things he has removed from an orifice thats not a mouth. I do love and appreciate the pipes of yesteryear and often wish I didn't have that phobia.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
100% why I like estate pipes is because you can get pipes that are damn near unsmoked for over half of what they sell for new. All it takes is some 99% isopropyl and some elbowgrease, if it can clean medical instruments and wounds it's good enough for a pipe. Next is the fact that they teach you to care for your pipe and depending on if you like restoring enough you can make some money from that, and it can lead to the nomenclature being your name on a pipe some day. The fact that if you get a steal you can resell it to help pay for something new. History that comes with these pipes, we will never know but somebody bought it and enjoyed it before and who knows it could be a pipe older then anybody on this forum or on earth for that matter, just imagine the story some of these pipes could tell. That why I like estate pipes 😆.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm with @didimauw I only swap spit with one person these days and she doesn't smoke a pipe. In my free wheeling college days I swapped spit and pipes on a regular basis. I also have a friend who works the ER and a pipe is one of many things he has removed from an orifice thats not a mouth. I do love and appreciate the pipes of yesteryear and often wish I didn't have that phobia.
It'd be so much easier and cheaper! But we're saving the estates for those who want em! You're welcome!