PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
Just noticed that 83 new members have joined the forum since I joined on 29 Nov. It's been 6 weeks. I was wondering if that rate was normal, high or low. Seems like a good rate to me but I don't have the data and really can't look up over 26,000 members. But who's really counting anyway. It's not the number its the size that counts.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have the data, but it seems to me that the rate of joining is as robust as it has ever been. That being said, it is also true that not all new members participate much or stay around for a long time. I think there is a core of several hundred people who hang on and post regularly, although that core may be growing a little too.

It seems that every time I log on there are several new members introducing themselves, usually with a strong response from the membership at large. The membership is increasingly international.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I don't have the data, but it seems to me that the rate of joining is as robust as it has ever been. That being said, it is also true that not all new members participate much or stay around for a long time. I think there is a core of several hundred people who hang on and post regularly, although that core may be growing a little too.

It seems that every time I log on there are several new members introducing themselves, usually with a strong response from the membership at large. The membership is increasingly international.
Yep, and that is more important than sheer numbers.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Just noticed that 83 new members have joined the forum since I joined on 29 Nov. It's been 6 weeks. I was wondering if that rate was normal, high or low. Seems like a good rate to me but I don't have the data and really can't look up over 26,000 members. But who's really counting anyway. It's not the number its the size that counts.
Just imagine trying to moderate all these  fuckers great people. I simply don't want to imagine how many people joined in a day/month etc. But it keeps the lights on for the boss man. Sometimes us mods can barely keep up with single members (cough cough @cosmicfolklore cough). I bet @admin may have an average number somewhere in his notebook.

Just imagine trying to moderate all these  fuckers great people. I simply don't want to imagine how many people joined in a day/month etc. But it keeps the lights on for the boss man. Sometimes us mods can barely keep up with single members (cough cough @cosmicfolklore cough). I bet @admin may have an average number somewhere in his notebook.
What have I done… this year?

Oh I'm sure there's something! We're going on ten years dealing with each other now! ....damn....

They all seem to blend together. I remember you being a mod like it was yesterday.
Believe me, the moment you’re no longer a mod, the assholes come after you. Ha ha.
That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
It feels like the thread is a request for a State of the Forum Address.

Regardless, in my short time here it seems like newer members come in waives. Some still lurk, others post strong only to fizzle out (or get befuddled), and some tend to become mainstays that ride the wave instead of the undertow.

While all relationships end (death, quitting a job, divorce), new blood helps keep the forum alive. And without this forum, I'd have to talk with my significant other (and no one wants that).

Status
Not open for further replies.