PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I try to avoid broad generalizations about generational differences, largely because categorization by generation is often just vacuous bullshit whose only consistent use is in being grist for hack "journalists" to mill out clickbait articles. This is to say nothing of how derivative most generational critiques are; from Plato to the weirdo boomers contemplating the fall of Rome in their pickup trucks, the complaints are almost always uniformly the same, regardless of era or nation (e.g. kids are lazy and disrespectful, etc.).

Still, I do think there is something to the specific criticism that this new generation is not as tech-savvy as many would assume. In fact, it is the assumption itself that may be the problem. This new generation is the first one to be born in the digital age when virtually everyone has access to online devices. I think we are inclined to assume that since they literally grow up with this technology, they therefore are capable of using it competently, alas.

When I began law practice in 1983 the only real internet was between large corporations and the Department of Defense, and when the World Wide Web and Windows 95 came out, I thought it was the beginning of a new age, where the Library of Congress would be on every desktop.

My little sect (cult) of Christians worship public education nearly as much as the Gentle Savior, and claim public education and Christian civilization are nearly inseparable. If you can’t read and understand the Sermon on the Mount you’re a slave to every charlatan who can, and who’ll use it to separate you from your money.

But the strangest thing happened on the way to universal self education.

The folks who regularly told me the government had secretly put a microchip in their ass and black helicopters hovered over their house, and they recieved radio signals in their fillings completely disappeared. Instead of shortwave radio and satellite television a new source of disinformation a quantum leap more powerful replaced it.

Books are edited. A publisher had to make money. Lies don’t sell for long.

With the internet came unlimited self delusion.

A moderated forum like this allows for honest self eduction.

You might even learn of the mystical qualities of Pre 54 Algerian briar..;)

Reactions: K.E. Powell

Dave760

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
When I began law practice in 1983 the only real internet was between large corporations and the Department of Defense, and when the World Wide Web and Windows 95 came out, I thought it was the beginning of a new age, where the Library of Congress would be on every desktop.

My little sect (cult) of Christians worship public education nearly as much as the Gentle Savior, and claim public education and Christian civilization are nearly inseparable. If you can’t read and understand the Sermon on the Mount you’re a slave to every charlatan who can, and who’ll use it to separate you from your money.

But the strangest thing happened on the way to universal self education.

The folks who regularly told me the government had secretly put a microchip in their ass and black helicopters hovered over their house, and they recieved radio signals in their fillings completely disappeared. Instead of shortwave radio and satellite television a new source of disinformation a quantum leap more powerful replaced it.

Books are edited. A publisher had to make money. Lies don’t sell for long.

With the internet came unlimited self delusion.

A moderated forum like this allows for honest self eduction.

You might even learn of the mystical qualities of Pre 54 Algerian briar..;)
The Internet is both the greatest repository of information in human history and the greatest repository of misinformation in human history. Unfortunately it takes critical thinking skills to sort through the detritus to find the gems, and the 'net (especially social media) have revealed just how few people actually have such skills.

Sites like this one are a welcome respite from the madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.