PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
How many non-favorites a fellow needs to smoke before finding favorites will be determined partly by how many non-favorites he smokes first.

For instance, if your palette were simply going to love VAs and dislike burleys, and if you smoked 1000 burleys before trying a VA, well then I guess it would take you 1000 non-favorites to find a favorite.
You know what I mean?

So diversify sooner rather than later. There are a set of categories to work through.

(But as others have pointed out, {a} none of this counts if you haven't honed your smoking and tasting, which doesn't happen overnight; and, {b} your tastes will change over time -- what you latch on to at one point, you may grow a distaste for later.)

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
It probably took 3-4 months of sampling blends. Ordered 1 oz bulk bags as you did. One of the members suggested Haunted Bookshop since I liked a burley blend and it clicked. Still have some of those samples in my cellar. I a member that smoked some of the stuff I enjoyed posted that they were smoking a blend over and over again I ordered a sample to try. Figured if we had a tendency to like the same thing, it might be worth looking into the other blends they smoked as well. Hell, I still do that.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I really like many, and will continue to try many, including Latakia heavy blends. I stock up on classic vapers and pure Virginias, as those are my fav, but then also old dark fired 😂

I’ve probably tried about 50 and consider new blends to be part of the fun. For example, a typical order might be 10 tins of orlik golden slices and 2 tins of a new blend to try.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I hear you . I have had some ups and downs with blends in my journey as well. Sometimes I pop a fresh tin and it's wonderful, then a week later it loses everything, then a month later it's wonderful again.

I've also taken some meh blends and added x y or z to them and tried them again vs throwing them away, to great success.
I've also collected tin remnants into a jar and in a pinch, that kaleidoscope of blends can be wonderful.

As far as how long did it take to find the one, or ones, etc. I think that's a fluid quest and not a finite effort. Find ones you like fresh, opened with some time(weeks to years between opening) and some that is aged, all the while collect some that sound good and throw them in cellar.

I have more blends in my cellar than I have tried all aquired over the last couple of years. That being said if I had nothing but one or two blends, well, that would still make me a happy piper.

It's a very individual journey. I think a good rule of thumb is if you find one you really like, stock up on a few of those then do a onesie twosie approach buying more.

Frankly, that's part of the fun.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been pretty open minded about blends, so though there is no one blend I consider ultimate, I enjoy many of them. I'm not looking for euphoria, just a solid tobacco, often burley or burley inclusive. And variety is pleasant, not being tethered to one blender or blend. And I also enjoy a good Virginia or Va/Per, cigar leaf smoked by itself, a Cavendish, or a well crafted aromatic where the flavoring brings up the tobacco flavors and doesn't block them.

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
@Oddball I've hesitated to ask, because I don't want to be impolite or rude... but is that a picture of yourself in your avatar? I mean, if you were born that way or recovering from some terrible accident... I totally understand, and it looks painful. Do you need help?
That's Donald Sutherland. I'm guessing from either the original MASH movie or Kelly's Heroes.

Now, back to the OP. I'm going to offer a counter-argument to more more more. I feel one of the issues with newer smokers is trying to absorb the giant pipe smoking learning curve all at once, or at least in a very short period of time. More isn't always better, and in this case, a great number of options is not the best route. I'd recommend a more focused method. I'd hit each category of tobacco with a single representative. A burely. An English. A straight virginia. A virginia/perique. An aromatic. et cetera. Take mental notes, if not written ones. Chances are that you'll really take to one or two of them, and as/if you do, then dive deeper into that category. Unless you have a terminal illness or plan to die soon, there's plenty of time to go back and re-visit the lesser categories, and while you develop your smoking technique and palate, you'll be more inclined to enjoy your smokes and fall in-love with the hobby with flavors that easily appeal to you. It won't be a drudge through constant experimenting with things you don't really like. Once you've found your footing, you can then likely appreciate those lesser categories on some level. Of course, it's not a mandate that you have to smoke all categories of pipe tobacco, but if your curiosity grows to outside your wheelhouse, you'll have the smoking skills and developed taste to find value elsewhere.

I think we often give really poor advice to new smokers, encouraging them to try to leap over the learning curve with too many blends, too many pipes, quick to aging and cellaring, and too many options period. Pipe smoking isn't a hare. It's a tortoise.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Start with bulk. An ounce of different kinds of blends. Don't like English or Scottish blends? Cross em off the list. Like Burley and sweet virginias? Ask for recommendations similar to what you like. After a year or a couple, revisit some of these blends you didn't like when you first started. Your taste will probably change with time.
Have fun, lots of fantastic info and resources here to guide you on a fulfilling journey through the hobby

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
It isn’t the tobacco as much as learning to smoke and taste. But, to learn to taste you do have to keep smoking a variety, to teach your senses what is what.
I can smoke just about any tobacco now. Sure, I do like some better than others, but it’s more about me than the tobacco.

Focus of slow smoking and savoring the smoke. It will come to you.
@cosmicfolklore The reason I was puffing furiously on the clay pipes when I first got one was the fear of it going out...