PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
The William Demuth Company was one of the premier pipe makers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Eventually the Wellington became their mainstay, but before that they offered a variety of pipes including high sought after meerschaums, two of which were owned by President James a Garfield.

But, superlatives like "best pipe ever made' factory or artisan are not meaningful.

A lot of fine pipes were made by well known companies, and by small little known companies and were much prized by their owners. I love my Barlings and I also love my Piersels. Someone else loves his or her cobs. The finest pipe is the pipe its owner believes to be his or her finest pipe.
I enjoy how you bring superlatives into perspective ...

Ray Popp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 14, 2022
I had to go back to the title of this thread ... seems the discussion was jumping from currently available factory pipes to those no longer made.

I don't have more than one pipe from any single factory, I don't think, but I have a few, and each is a favorite in one way or another. I have yet to have multiples of any single design, either. So, I guess I am sort of like the kid with many stuffed toys not wanting to upset any of them ...

A feel a PAD episode beginning to overtake me ...

Still, I like reading all of the comments ...

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I don't know if I've read it mentioned in this forum, but the Royal Dutch Pipe factory, whose best-known brand is Big Ben, makes very good pipes.
I have a Big Ben Barbados pipe. It's a less expensive version of a Curvy.

The chamber is deceptively large and smokes great despite not being a true reverse calabash. However, the pipe has a lot (I mean a  lot) of fills.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I own a Devil Anse from them and it’s a flawless pipe.

We pipe smokers do need to support them.
I have a dozen of their pipes and they are all perfect in fit and function.
They are also a great group. I encourage attendance at the pipe show in march. Last year was great fun!

I have a dozen of their pipes and they are all perfect in fit and function.
They are also a great group. I encourage attendance at the pipe show in march. Last year was great fun!
I think that I would buy one (even though I totally refused a free one from Todd when they got started) if they made something that didn't look so odd. They did try to make a dublin, but it was so weird. All of their shapes seem to look like they just hacked out a bunch of stummel shapes and then mass produced the ugliest ones.

But, I am glad that they are finding an audience with some. For weird shapes, I prefer Neerups weirdnesses, but I realize that even theirs probably don't appeal to a wide audience.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I think that I would buy one (even though I totally refused a free one from Todd when they got started) if they made something that didn't look so odd. They did try to make a dublin, but it was so weird. All of their shapes seem to look like they just hacked out a bunch of stummel shapes and then mass produced the ugliest ones.

But, I am glad that they are finding an audience with some. For weird shapes, I prefer Neerups weirdnesses, but I realize that even theirs probably don't appeal to a wide audience.
I find their shapes to be simple modern classics but I am a new goon in the grand scale of pipes!

I find their shapes to be simple modern classics but I am a new goon in the grand scale of pipes!
We all have different tastes. I respect that. But, to me they all look like a 3rd grader was asked to to draw what a pipe should look like in crayon, and someone made pipes based on they're drawings. puffy

Neerups are kinda quirky too.

edit: I hate the way the word crayon gets changed to cray. I should start typing it as Krayon.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
We all have different tastes. I respect that. But, to me they all look like a 3rd grader was asked to to draw what a pipe should look like in crayon, and someone made pipes based on they're drawings. puffy

It's funny, there are a ton of older makers that I find awkward in their shapes... So Yeah I think we are all different.

I am never disappointed in my Briarworks, even the shapes I am less fond of smoke so good and feel perfect in the hand..

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com

edit: I hate the way the word crayon gets changed to cray. I should start typing it as Krayon.
I guess I don't type crayon on here enough. Odd.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
My favorite pipe is the one I’m smoking. But when it comes to buying new “factory” pipes, I’m partial to Radice & Peterson. At least I’ve bought more new Radices and Pete’s than any other brand.

Reactions: Akoni808