PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I’m glad your crystal ball can show you what pipe smokers will deem as collectible seven decades from now. Now, can you ask it when the stock market will recover? rotf
I certainly know why the pipes that are now collectibles are collectible, as I have been collecting for decades. I also have a degree in Marketing, so let's say I have some tools to understand why people consume the way they do. If we see which brands of pipes (watches, etc.) are collectible, what we see is that they are brands that have consistency and have not had low quality lines. Generally speaking people don't pay much for things that have the same logo as cheaper products. Dunhill is the queen brand in collecting because a pipe with the White spot was never cheap. That doesn't happen with Savinelli.
But also, I don't think that you either have a crystal ball or a Palntiri to support your affirmation, therefore both what you say and what I say is already talk in the air. As for the stock market, that advice is never free and if it is, you shouldn't listen to it.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I certainly know why the pipes that are now collectibles are collectible, as I have been collecting for decades. I also have a degree in Marketing, so let's say I have some tools to understand why people consume the way they do. If we see which brands of pipes (watches, etc.) are collectible, what we see is that they are brands that have consistency and have not had low quality lines. Generally speaking people don't pay much for things that have the same logo as cheaper products. Dunhill is the queen brand in collecting because a pipe with the White spot was never cheap. That doesn't happen with Savinelli.
But also, I don't think that you either have a crystal ball or a Palntiri to support your affirmation, therefore both what you say and what I say is already talk in the air. As for the stock market, that advice is never free and if it is, you shouldn't listen to it.
Hey that Dunhill point certainly makes sense, but just don’t buy it (pun intended). I don't collect anything and never will, but from what I see around this forum, many don’t collect pipes that were particularly expensive. I see a lot of older Petersons, GBDs, Barlings, & Comoys. I also wholeheartedly disagree that only pipe brands with exclusively more expensive lines are collectible. But like I said above I don’t care about collecting and am just opining for fun on the subject.

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Older GBDs. Always good smokers no matter what grade in my experience.
I was looking a great shaped GBD estate pipe today: a cutty - 111 - very light, like 21 grams. I just wish it were a bit easier to date these pipes and judge and understand their quality. The pipe I was looking at (online) is called a "gold label" made in France as opposed to England. So, that tells you, I guess, that it's pre-merger but I don't think there's much hope of learning anything more. What else can you find out? It seems easier to collect or date or evaluate some brands of older factory pipes than others. The big French brands like Chacom and Butz Choqiun seem to have made tons of pipes but how can you tell which are which in terms of dating and quality?

Some brands have some pipes I like and dislike, but I've never gone as far as claiming a favorite. That's a step too close to being brand loyal, and I just don't do that. I buy what appeals to me. And, when a company becomes loyal to its customers over making money, I will consider becoming a fan... but, that ain't ever going to happen.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Peterson of current production (okay any)!

For really old stuff I have some Comoy's I love and a couple Loewes and some misc. -- the 100+ year old pipes in good shape are great pipes, IMO, and many are of compact dimensions, which I prefer.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
It seems easier to collect or date or evaluate some brands of older factory pipes than others.
Definitely not that easy to really nail down a date on most GBDs.

Pipephil EU is a good resource.

In my experience you don’t have to get a 50+ year old GBD to get a good smoker. I generally tried to get pipes from the 80s or older but I’m buying to get a good smoker, not to collect. I tried to get Virgin grade or better but have several “lower” grades that actually look better than some Virgins.

Unless there is silver with a hallmark it’s generally hard to date a GBD beyond a 5 or sometimes 10 year window.

I don’t have any more recent production GBD so I can’t speak to them.

GBDs are not so expensive that you would get really burned by taking a chance when everything looks in order. More than once I’ve gotten something much nicer than the seller thought he had.