PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I must be getting old. I found this over the top and very unrealistic. But then I enjoyed David Craig in the 007 series. Inconsistency may also be a trait of getting older.
We watched over Christmas - I agree, took kind of the parlour mystery of the first installment in a sort of haphazard and too "mod" direction for all of us.

Reactions: RonB

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Been catching a few of the old Jeremy Brett series lately.
4/5…..should be 5/5 really but have to deduct a point for Jeremy’s campness.
View attachment 192821
That's what I love about his portrayal! Different strokes!

I'm a huge Rathbone fan, but the settings for his (out of the actual era) presented different challenges, although I still think his portrayal as my favorite, I wish the settings had been more to the times of the series, and really enjoy Brett's performances and the sets.

I listened to a couple of the radio plays this weekend and was a little disappointed. Nigel Bruce seems to come across more matter of fact and reading vs. the animation and excitement of his film performances. But small sample.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
That's what I love about his portrayal! Different strokes!

I'm a huge Rathbone fan, but the settings for his (out of the actual era) presented different challenges, although I still think his portrayal as my favorite, I wish the settings had been more to the times of the series, and really enjoy Brett's performances and the sets.

I listened to a couple of the radio plays this weekend and was a little disappointed. Nigel Bruce seems to come across more matter of fact and reading vs. the animation and excitement of his film performances. But small sample.
Are they the one’s where Nigel Bruce stops halfway through the show to promote ‘Petri‘s Wines?’ Great fun! Lol

If you get chance, you should try & listen to old Johnny Gielgud & Ralph Richardson (as Holmes & Watson). From the 50’s I think they were.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
My wife and I watched all of the old Inspector Morse episodes from the 80' and 90's. A little dated but they were worth watching - at least the majority were. I'd rate them a 3 out of 5.

Also just finished the first season of Tulsa King. Actually pretty good with Sylvester Stallone really making it worthwhile. He's a mafioso who's exiled from NYC to Tulsa OK. Maybe a 4/5?

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I just watched the 4th episode of Midsommer Murders. The first rose to the standard that has kept the show on since the flood. This episode was a little lacking in that department. Oh, this is series 23 of this show. The show will have 6 episodes this year. You can watch it on Acorn.

4/5
Yep, there's a reason it's been on for over 20 years.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Watched the latest Jurassic Park debacle last night called Dominion. Kudos to the graphic artist but the script and acting was like I was watching a walk through for the movie. At times it felt like we were watching a colorized version of the old Japanese Godzilla moves, you know the ones with the awful translations. I have no idea why Jeff Goldblum still thinks he can act if he ever could in my opinion well maybe except for The Fly. If the producers had the balls they would have made it into a R rated movie, it would have been at least a little more believable. I loved the original JP but since then not so much. 2 out of 5 on Prime.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Watched the latest Jurassic Park debacle last night called Dominion. Kudos to the graphic artist but the script and acting was like I was watching a walk through for the movie. At times it felt like we were watching a colorized version of the old Japanese Godzilla moves, you know the ones with the awful translations. I have no idea why Jeff Goldblum still thinks he can act if he ever could in my opinion well maybe except for The Fly. If the producers had the ball they would have made it into a R rated movie, it would have been at least a little more believable. I loved the JP but since then not so much. 2 out of 5 on Prime.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Currently binging on His Dark Materials, based on the books by Philip Pullman. In some ways it is very reminiscent of a dozen other fantasy worlds, but some differences keep it interesting. I'm enjoying the series very much, even with the repeating sense of deja vu. Beautifully presented. 4 out of 5.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX
Been meaning to catch up on this one. I hope that Dafne Keen will reprise her role as X-23.

Status
Not open for further replies.