Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
It was included in a small sampler of papers which came with an order from Goulet, about a year ago, but the booklet that this particular paper comes from was not branded ... so, I don't know!

There was another little pad of Rhodia, though, which I have beside me right now -- marked "90g/m2 - 41 lb." I haven't read up on what that means -- but I like the paper!
Yes, the Rhodia is good paper, as is the Clairefontaine, I mentioned an earlier post.

The 90g/m2 41 lb is the weight of the paper, without fear of stating the obvious. These two products are ideal for fountain pens, since they don't bleed.

Reactions: SBC
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Wish we had a permanent fountain pen sub forum here on PM!

But for now, this will suffice --

I'm wanting to try the Kaweco 2.3mm Italic nib:

Does anybody know what pens I could put it on?

I don't own a Kaweco, and honestly the only one that appeals to my tastes is the Brass Sport, but it's a short pen, and pricier than I can justify right now. If it were full sized, I'd put it on a wish list for someday.

I believe that this is a #2 nib, and I'm sure that I could just pull it out of its Kaweco housing to fit into another pen's feed, so long as it took a #2 nib.

Does anybody know what other pen options use #2 nibs?
Kaweco are good pens too. the Jet Pens compatibility link is pretty good for guidance.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I have had lots of Rhodia journals and notepads over the years. It’s the best paper I’ve ever used. Moleskine notebooks are cheaper and have great paper too. At least they did a few years ago. I stopped journaling and haven’t bought one in a while.

As far as ink goes for my dip pens…. I’m probably going to try some Waterman’s next. Looks nice and gets good reviews on Amazon. Anyone ever used it?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I use a pen like a carpenter uses a hammer. It must work, it can’t leak, and if I need ink there’s a spare cartridge handy.

My true fountain pens, a couple of Mont Blancs and a Schaefer, have been parked in a drawer since 1995. The things leaked one too many times, in the middle of a trial. Not again.

But I still use very nice pens, by Cross, Pelikan, Rotring, and now I’m into Parker Dufold homage pens.

Which is the $300 one made with vintage Parker tooling in Italy and which is the $24 one made last month in China?

015D89E3-A77C-4557-8E82-EFB59F2854D9.jpeg13DDA392-8314-4BB2-934E-F851A064B6EE.jpeg8788FFAF-DBB5-471E-81B6-61ADC063C111.jpeg264276C4-B3A6-411F-B1E7-E72B6C84AC8D.jpeg

Is the $300 pen fancier and better than the $24 pen?

Yes.

But they are about equal bling.

And use the virtually the same cartridges.

Try an Asian Dufold homage pen.

They make them in fountain pen style too.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I use a pen like a carpenter uses a hammer. It must work, it can’t leak, and if I need ink there’s a spare cartridge handy.

My true fountain pens, a couple of Mont Blancs and a Schaefer, have been parked in a drawer since 1995. The things leaked one too many times, in the middle of a trial. Not again.

But I still use very nice pens, by Cross, Pelikan, Rotring, and now I’m into Parker Dufold homage pens.

Which is the $300 one made with vintage Parker tooling in Italy and which is the $24 one made last month in China?

View attachment 192466View attachment 192467View attachment 192468View attachment 192469

Is the $300 pen fancier and better than the $24 pen?

Yes.

But they are about equal bling.

And use the virtually the same cartridges.

Try an Asian Dufold homage pen.

They make them in fountain pen style too.
Briar Lee, you mean that you use a fountain pen to "hammer out your legal documents"... :ROFLMAO:
I couldn't resist.
I'm using my Waterman's 56 this morning, just updating my journal, which I vowed I'd start this year, having never kept one in my life. Never too late to start, I guess.
Plus it gives me a chance to practice my hand.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Briar Lee, you mean that you use a fountain pen to "hammer out your legal documents"... :ROFLMAO:
I couldn't resist.
I'm using my Waterman's 56 this morning, just updating my journal, which I vowed I'd start this year, having never kept one in my life. Never too late to start, I guess.
Plus it gives me a chance to practice my hand.
I started journaling every day last April and I have never felt more sane. My handwriting is much better, too.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I journaled for many years (at night, at a desk by candlelight). It did me a lot of good for a lot of years, but then it suddenly lost its value. I might go back to it someday though.

A question about ink:
Is there a difference between dip ink and fountain pen ink? Or is ink just ink? Happy to display my ignorance in order to dispel it…

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas