PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I really like my Jinhao X159.
I have Pelikan black ink, Quink blue, Diamine Ancient copper.

I quite fancy a Kaweco Al Sport in stonewashed blue. But I can buy many Jinhao's for the same price.

Reactions: SBC

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
There is no false modesty is my saying that my penmanship is abysmal and that I have never cultivated the sort of skill that you display!

Last year, my wife got me a couple of nifty books on comparative historical uncial scripts and such, and I was all kinds of excited to begin to learn these things just recently, when a backed-up sewage pipe led to our basement flooding and these books being destroyed. (A few tobacco jars were also awash! Thankfully they were sealed and decontaminated. The books were not so redeemable.)

Sure, I'd be willing to embarrass myself, but my pens and such are all at home, and for the next few weeks we are living a couple of hours away at my parents' place near the NICU.

Maybe when I get back to all that, I'll post some pics for your critique, Sam the Pen Man! :)
That's too bad about those books. I'd like to see your writing because I just enjoy seeing handwriting in general. I think it's very interesting and even fascinating to see how people approach it. I can write in cursive and often do, but my main handwriting is a basic block printing. Here is my 2022 book-log so you can see an example:

IMG_8628.jpg

I've been messing around with these dip pens all day and am making progress. I'm getting cleaner lines and figuring this out. This is a lot of fun.

IMG_8652.jpg

I ran across this in my papers today: it's back when I was learning how to write in the Tolkien style circa 2006/2007. Back then I was still using G2 gel pens and was frustrated with the blunt lines. Soon after this I found the Sharpie pens. When they first started making them the tips would blunt easily, but they have improved them since and they last much longer. It also takes some technique to get the most out of the Sharpies.

IMG_8653.jpg

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Found some ink in our stash of office supplies. Not sure if this is the correct stuff to use or not. Here are the first few lines I've ever done with the new dip pens. Great fun! but will take some getting used to in order to get the lines I want. What say you? View attachment 191460

India ink doesn’t get along with fountain pens too well. It tends to clog them.

Noodlers Black and Heart of Darkness are nice black blacks.

I like Noodlers Dark Matters for its cool back story but it has a grey cast to it you may not like.

Reactions: Sam Gamgee and RonB

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Look for calligraphy specific fountain pen set. Kaweco makes a set in their Sport model. As to nib, if you want to actually have a nib that meet your satisfaction, learn to tweek it. Basic adjustments are pretty simple and unless the nib is majorly screwed, you can make nibs smooth to write with. Or if the pen is expensive enough, send it off for an adjustment.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I swung back by home today and grabbed my pens.

Motivated by this thread and by your request, Mr. Gamgee, I just now I sat down to scratch out something (for the first time in months).

It's a favorite line from the Book of Common Prayer:

20230102_223026_2.jpg

I smudged that "ay" -- sorry.

This is the only script that I know when writing with a stub or italic (this was a Medium Italic, by the way) -- and I do it poorly.

I am fascinated by pens and nibs and I derive immense pleasure from viewing great calligraphy -- like I derive from viewing great painting or listening to great choral music -- but I am no painter and no musician, and regrettably I am no calligrapher either.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I swung back by home today and grabbed my pens.

Motivated by this thread and by your request, Mr. Gamgee, I just now I sat down to scratch out something (for the first time in months).

It's a favorite line from the Book of Common Prayer:

View attachment 191937

I smudged that "ay" -- sorry.

This is the only script that I know when writing with a stub or italic (this was a Medium Italic, by the way) -- and I do it poorly.

I am fascinated by pens and nibs and I derive immense pleasure from viewing great calligraphy -- like I derive from viewing great painting or listening to great choral music -- but I am no painter and no musician, and regrettably I am no calligrapher either.
I think it looks great—very rustic, like something one might see in Rohan, home of the horse lords. I say keep at it.

Reactions: briarfoxx and SBC
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I'm a hobby calligrapher and recently started selling some of my work. I've been using Sharpie pens for years, and while I love them and they work well, I have always longed to get the clean, sharp lines only a good fountain pen can give. I've tried various fountain pens in the past but never found one that worked well for me. I had a couple Lamys and some other brands I can't remember.

The thing I disliked about them all were the blunted nibs which made it impossible to get the clean lines I wanted. Someone told me I could file down the nibs and get them the way I wanted, but I wanted to buy a pen ready to use, not fiddle with it. I eventually gave up on fountain pens altogether and just stayed with my beloved Sharpies.

But this Christmas I was given a set of fountain pens as a gift. They aren't very good quality but it was enough to start the itch again. I'd love to find something in the 1.00mm (or maybe slightly larger) with a very sharp chisel tip. I have a set of dip pens but that's just too much work, and it makes it impossible to write when away from home (I do a lot of my calligraphy during down time at my day job).

I'm open to recommendations. I don't care how much the pen costs either. I just want a good one.
I got into Spencerian writing a few years ago, its something that needs to be done all the time to maintain it, at least that's what I found.

Anyway, I bought a few Pilot pens, from Japan. The Falcon is a very soft nib, and can be had in EF (extra Fine) up to Medium. Being Japanese, the EF is extremely fine, compared to western standards.
Sailor is another very good brand, also Japanese.

I've just bought myself a Waterman's 56, with fine flexible nib. And have realized how my hand has slipped, from what I was able to produce.
With that, I also bought a Mabie Todd Swan, the nib is a wet noodle, so soft and flexible, it's unbelievable. No pressure will five me a 0.4 mm line, full flex, 3.0mm., it's insane.

Reactions: Sam Gamgee
May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I know a guy who is a master penman (he hates being called a calligrapher) whose work is a joy to behold. He uses a dip pen for his own work. He makes and sells his own pens and inks. You can find his wiki page by looking up Mike Sull Penman. You will find a wiki page on him as well several pages that are dedicated to his work. He used to attend the KC Clubs meetings, but I haven't seen him in a while.
Yup.

He was a guest on THE radio show too. 👍
And he has great oratory.

Reactions: kcghost

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
SBC, is that Rhodia paper?

It was included in a small sampler of papers which came with an order from Goulet, about a year ago, but the booklet that this particular paper comes from was not branded ... so, I don't know!

There was another little pad of Rhodia, though, which I have beside me right now -- marked "90g/m2 - 41 lb." I haven't read up on what that means -- but I like the paper!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It was included in a small sampler of papers which came with an order from Goulet, about a year ago, but the booklet that this particular paper comes from was not branded ... so, I don't know!

There was another little pad of Rhodia, though, which I have beside me right now -- marked "90g/m2 - 41 lb." I haven't read up on what that means -- but I like the paper!
If it was an unbranded notebook from Goulet it was their own notebook, likely. They were made with the infamous Tomoe River paper 68gsm. That paper went away from the market and upset a lot of people.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
To reiterate what has been mentioned above, do not use India ink in your fountain pens. It will destroy them. Sheaffer’s used to sell inexpensive fountain pen calligraphy sets with several width nibs. They are frequently available on the usual auction sites. I used to use Bernanke Blue from Noodler’s at the office. It was fast drying and worked well with our inexpensive paper.

Reactions: Andre_T and SBC

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Wish we had a permanent fountain pen sub forum here on PM!

But for now, this will suffice --

I'm wanting to try the Kaweco 2.3mm Italic nib:

Does anybody know what pens I could put it on?

I don't own a Kaweco, and honestly the only one that appeals to my tastes is the Brass Sport, but it's a short pen, and pricier than I can justify right now. If it were full sized, I'd put it on a wish list for someday.

I believe that this is a #2 nib, and I'm sure that I could just pull it out of its Kaweco housing to fit into another pen's feed, so long as it took a #2 nib.

Does anybody know what other pen options use #2 nibs?

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
#2 nibs have been sort of the standard size nib for a long time. Most of the smaller Waterman pens had them. The Pelikan 200 series also take them. Do you have a pen in mind that you want to install one in or are you looking for recommendations for an inexpensive host? If you are looking for the latter, Noodler's Nib Creaper fountain pens are inexpensive and they take number 2 nibs. Creaper nibs and feeds are friction fit, so you have to take care to set your pen up properly with the donor nib. I hope this helps.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
#2 nibs have been sort of the standard size nib for a long time. Most of the smaller Waterman pens had them. The Pelikan 200 series also take them. Do you have a pen in mind that you want to install one in or are you looking for recommendations for an inexpensive host? If you are looking for the latter, Noodler's Nib Creaper fountain pens are inexpensive and they take number 2 nibs. Creaper nibs and feeds are friction fit, so you have to take care to set your pen up properly with the donor nib. I hope this helps.

This is perfect!

I have some pens that take #6 nibs, and some that take proprietary nibs (Sailor, Sheaffer, FPR ... actually not sure if the FPR nibs are a proprietary size), but didn't know how common #2 nibs were.

The Noodler's Nib Creaper is exactly the recommendation I was looking for -- an inexpensive but classic looking host for this Kaweco Italic nib. Thank you!

Reactions: retrogrouch