PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
My question is, for a new pipe smoker, is getting more than a few styles of pipe likely something I should wait on? Part of my interest in buying more is to find the ones that I like the most, I can trade in the ones I don’t. Thoughts from experienced veterans appreciated!
I'm clearly confused.

When you ask about "style" are you referring to "shape"? Regardless, you also state, that in part, you want to buy more in order to find the ones you like the most.

How can you buy "more" to figure out what you like the most without trying different "styles" or "shapes" to figure out what you like the most? Wait on what?
This is where I'm confused, and I'm sure it's probably me, sometimes I don't see the obvious.

Besides, there may not be a style or shape that you like the most, perhaps you like many different styles or shapes, like myself, and it kinda depends on the blend I'm smoking and the mood I'm in to decide what to smoke.

I say buy whatever you can afford that puts a spark in your eye and a smile on your face puffy

Reactions: Ben.R.C

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I'm clearly confused.

When you ask about "style" are you referring to "shape"? Regardless, you also state, that in part, you want to buy more in order to find the ones you like the most.

How can you buy "more" to figure out what you like the most without trying different "styles" or "shapes" to figure out what you like the most? Wait on what?
This is where I'm confused, and I'm sure it's probably me, sometimes I don't see the obvious.

Besides, there may not be a style or shape that you like the most, perhaps you like many different styles or shapes, like myself, and it kinda depends on the blend I'm smoking and the mood I'm in to decide what to smoke.

I say buy whatever you can afford that puts a spark in your eye and a smile on your face puffy
It means I’m randomly buying different pipes I like the pictures of with no real idea of how they will perform. I’m stopping at 4 pipes till I get a bit of time under my belt, these 4 are in the 100-150 $ range. The better I get at packing and picking tobacco I like the better they all perform. Go figure! 😂

Reactions: FLDRD and monty55

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
It means I’m randomly buying different pipes I like the pictures of with no real idea of how they will perform. I’m stopping at 4 pipes till I get a bit of time under my belt, these 4 are in the 100-150 $ range. The better I get at packing and picking tobacco I like the better they all perform. Go figure! 😂

Nobody really knows how a pipe will perform until they smoke out of it. So, we all go by pictures of what we like.
Something bent, something straight, something large and another just piquant?

Reactions: PipeGarGuy

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
For me, at least at this point, I haven’t found a pipe yet that smoked bad. If I have trouble it’s usually due to my packing or cadence. I now have 22 pipes, way more than needed, and I like the way they all smoke. I’m collecting based on how I like the way they look more than anything else, especially with the meerschaums. I wouldn’t know what pipes would be “good investments” so I buy “pretty” and “interesting” so far. We’ll see where this addiction takes me!

Reactions: yanoJL and Ben.R.C

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
For me, at least at this point, I haven’t found a pipe yet that smoked bad. If I have trouble it’s usually due to my packing or cadence. I now have 22 pipes, way more than needed, and I like the way they all smoke. I’m collecting based on how I like the way they look more than anything else, especially with the meerschaums. I wouldn’t know what pipes would be “good investments” so I buy “pretty” and “interesting” so far. We’ll see where this addiction takes me!
I can relate to this. I have a fine teapot collection that does the same thing to my wallet so I have to show some restraint. I like smoking way more than drinking tea! 😂

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
I can relate to this. I have a fine teapot collection that does the same thing to my wallet so I have to show some restraint. I like smoking way more than drinking tea! 😂
Restraint? Isn’t that a four letter word? Lol I’ll show you my idea of restraint. I’ve decided to sell some of my less expensive pipes so that I have room for more expensive pipes, does that qualify as restraint or am I enabling further decline into addiction? Remember, I’m the one that told you to run, lol!

Reactions: yanoJL

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I personally feel pipe smoking has a substantial learning curve best approached in a slow and methodical manner, which I realize flies smack in the face of today's world. We want it all, and we want it now. Like with most things, that philosophy doesn't serve it best. Stick with a couple pipes and really flush out what you like and dislike about them. Experiment with them. There are a lot of variables with both pipes and tobacco, and then you have to explore all the combinations to really get at the heart of what is, or isn't, to your preference. In other words, more and many aren't better. Less is better, at least until you get a firm foundation. Otherwise, I feel, you're getting sucked into the consumerism and materialism of the hobby. Fall in love with the process and the past time, and then get hooked on the gear and stuff.