PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I’m keeping it in the 100-200 dollar range while still in practicing mode. I don’t want to burn up an artisanal piece and not even sure it’s appropriate at this stage unless I find a good estate deal. I wasn’t happy with my starter Savinelli 320, my Peterson 106 and moonshine cannonball both smoke great. I’ll likely trade it in the Savinelli or lend it to a friend who is interested in trying, it’s not a total POS, just doesn’t smoke easy for me. I just ordered a well priced neerup which I’m quite excited about.
For me, so far, the experience I love is about the tobacco flavor experience, deliberate slow pace (I normally am fairly hyper and can’t sit still) 😂, satisfaction of a good pack that stays lit, the feel and esthetics of the pipe, and I really love the nicotene buzz.

I had started with cigars a year ago, still smoking them and loving the really nice ones, very fond of some of the newer Foundation cigar line. But, more and more I’m reaching for the pipe and not a cigar.

I was a hardcore filterless lucky strike chain smoker in my youth , so I have a large tolerance for nicotene and tend toward strong pipe blends without casing.

My question is, for a new pipe smoker, is getting more than a few styles of pipe likely something I should wait on? Part of my interest in buying more is to find the ones that I like the most, I can trade in the ones I don’t. Thoughts from experienced veterans appreciated!

I’m so glad for this forum and the pipe mag podcast, I’ve been really speeding up my learning process with these great resources. I was looking to get a subscription to the mag itself but it seems that it’s shut down. Is there a way to get the back issues?

Any other learning resources you think would be good for me to check out also appreciated!

Thanks to all of you, I hope to find some folks to smoke with in the Chapel Hill,NC area. If any NC folks are on the forum I’d love to chat and possibly meet up for smoke and conversation!

Cheers,
Ben

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
My question is, for a new pipe smoker, is getting more than a few styles of pipe likely something I should wait on?
Buy what strikes your fancy. If you're like many of us your tastes will shift over time and you'll naturally branch out to other shapes. In my early years I bought a several different shapes to figure out if I liked straight or bent pipes, turns out I like both.

As a new piper I recommend starting with a couple or four modestly priced pipes then spend your money on tobacco. Estate pipes can provide great value in your price range.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Buy what strikes your fancy. If you're like many of us your tastes will shift over time and you'll naturally branch out to other shapes. In my early years I bought a several different shapes to figure out if I liked straight or bent pipes, turns out I like both.

As a new piper I recommend starting with a couple or four modestly priced pipes then spend your money on tobacco. Estate pipes can provide great value in your price range.
This is my plan, thank you!

Reactions: seanv and Briar Lee

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Spend time browsing through the sponsors' sites (SmokingPipes, LePipe.it, The Danish Pipe Shop, etc) to see what shapes or makers appeal most.

I also spent a lot of hours lurking on this Forums reading up on morta, meerschaum and olive wood pipes as I was intrigued by alternatives to briar.

What I'm trying to say in a very verbose way is "spend time looking at what's out there before spending your money".
I have as much fun looking for the next pipe to buy as buying it 🤔😄

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I wasn’t happy with my starter Savinelli 320, my Peterson 106 and moonshine cannonball both smoke great. I’ll likely trade it in the Savinelli or lend it to a friend who is interested in trying, it’s not a total POS, just doesn’t smoke easy for me.
Hi Ben, welcome to the forum. Out of curiosity, what about the 320 doesn’t work for you? That shape is one of my personal faves; your negative experience intrigues me.

I come from more of a cigar background going back to the early ’90s (pipes as well, but, less so). I smoke pipes more these days because they’re tolerated in the home more than cigars.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Hi Ben, welcome to the forum. Out of curiosity, what about the 320 doesn’t work for you? That shape is one of my personal faves; your negative experience intrigues me.

I come from more of a cigar background going back to the early ’90s (pipes as well, but, less so). I smoke pipes more these days because they’re tolerated in the home more than cigars.
Good question! Perhaps because it was my first and if I come back to it in a while it would be fine? I don’t think this is a case of “blame the pipe” 😂

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Good question! Perhaps because it was my first and if I come back to it in a while it would be fine? I don’t think this is a case of “blame the pipe” 😂
My Peterson 106 and moonshine cannonball work fine and they are very different shapes from each other. I’ll give the 320 another shot tomorrow.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Welcome to the forum.

+1 on Missouri Meerschaum cobs.
Ebay auctions is a good place to buy pipes at reasonable cost.

When I was building a rotation of pipes I was fortunate to find two professional German vendors.
Postage was only $12usd for up to eight pipes.

Although I went a bit overboard and bought way more than I need, most of the NOS [new old stock] pipes I won for bargain prices.
The trick is to put a lot of low high bids on multiple auctions.

PipeGarGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 1, 2022
Hello Ben, I am a pipe addict. I started on cigars and branched off into pipes about a month ago. It started slowly enough, one pipe here, two pipes there…billiards and bent billiards at first. Then other shapes began to appeal to me. I started thinking about pipes when I wasn’t even around any. Then other materials attracted my eye. I discovered Meerschaum. Now I can’t stop! I just ordered a black calabash from Eskisehir!

It starts with now Ben. Don’t buy another one. Sell what you have and run! Run Ben! Run! Gods speed!2E228F9B-7050-4ED9-BA4C-0CDB3102B69F.jpeg89D8F158-CD7E-4CA3-9E87-9A6831468A47.jpeg

Reactions: Ben.R.C

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Hello Ben, I am a pipe addict. I started on cigars and branched off into pipes about a month ago. It started slowly enough, one pipe here, two pipes there…billiards and bent billiards at first. Then other shapes began to appeal to me. I started thinking about pipes when I wasn’t even around any. Then other materials attracted my eye. I discovered Meerschaum. Now I can’t stop! I just ordered a black calabash from Eskisehir!

It starts with now Ben. Don’t buy another one. Sell what you have and run! Run Ben! Run! Gods speed!View attachment 183640View attachment 183639
😂😂😂😂