Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I'm one of the weirdos that actually liked the way it ended. Daenerys losing her mind was an excellent way to screw over the fans who loved her. And, ending with a council... just lightened the mood of it coming to an end. Otherwise, it could have just kept going and going...
Haha, I wasn't going to watch the prequel, but I guess after reading your review above, I should at least check on the first episode. No surprise with Daenerys' fate here, but with the screwiness and nonsensical-ness, lol, of all the three eyed raven stuff, I didn't buy all those bloodthirsty bastards agreeing to Bran as the "leader" and too tidy to have The North "independent" and let what's her name "rule", but they had to wrap somehow. And no way Daenerys' fervent, fanatical followers go off to their little Nirvana of a place and simply let things go, but whatever - after all their over the top pillaging of Kings Landing, it was a little silly to see her people wandering the streets and laughing it up with the remaining unslaughtered townsfolk a day or two later, lol. But the dragon let the little guy go - no way!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'm one of the weirdos that actually liked the way it ended. Daenerys losing her mind was an excellent way to screw over the fans who loved her. And, ending with a council... just lightened the mood of it coming to an end. Otherwise, it could have just kept going and going...
I wasn't bothered too much with how it ended, big-picture plot-wise. What did bother me was how rushed and episodic the last two seasons were. They crammed too much in them with insufficient plot and character development. The pleasure of the show was in the details and the details were missing in the end.

I wasn't bothered too much with how it ended, big-picture plot-wise. What did bother me was how rushed and episodic the last two seasons were. They crammed too much in them with insufficient plot and character development. The pleasure of the show was in the details and the details were missing in the end.
I can agree to that. I knew that they had to tie in Bran's trippy excursion with the end somehow. Putting him on the throne just made it come full circle. But yeh, it was rushed. But, they did spend a lot of times on those sets in the end.

Reactions: mingc

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Good eye. I’d be lying if I said I caught all those. I figured they left it open ended for a second season, that’s a shame that won’t happen though.

Have you checked out Outer Range on Prime? You might like that one. They got me with the twist and turns, I didn’t see them coming at all. I hope we get a second season.
Actually I think there's still a possibility of a second season for Archive 81, let's see.

Nope, we only have Netflix or Stremio in my laptop, but that's unwatchable :P

Reactions: hawky454

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I think the ending was convincing actually. In the books the Targaryens going mad is a very big recurring theme.

We'll see if we can watch that GOT prequel.

What I used to be pissed off with is George RR Martin himself. I've been following the guy from when he was an obscure scifi/fantasy writer, back in early 2000s. Ok he actually wasn't obscure if you were in that scene, but his one achievement were the GOT books. The first 4 are incredibly good, then it went downhill as he became successful. I remember thinking "this story CANNOT be made into TV", yet it was, and extremely well too. So after he became successful and quite rich from the GOT books he got a) lazy and b) started pushing all the dogshit pulpy cyberpunk-x-sword and sorcery stories he'd written over decades (he's in the scene since the late 60s) which never made it because they are atrocious dogshit and unreadable. But since he had the magic touch with GOT he had leverage to push them to fans etc. THEN TV came and he became obscenely rich - good for him, he deserves it - and all hope of ever seeing the written end to GOT is pretty much gone.
He hates reading stuff like this, he's had this criticism for at least 15 years, I get it that he's not obliged to write so I can read but he became disgusting at some point around mid 2000s, he was also trying to push old "signed" calendars (who on EARTH would buy an old calendar???), his old waterlogged dungeons and dragons books, and more than anything got very sloppy with his writing.

Rant over!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
@cosmicfolklore - I tried my friend, I really tried! I got though about 32 minutes - all the white hair! Seemed a little campy - sort of GOT meets Spartacus but in fairness to the show, I was reading some threads on here at the same time. I'll wait a week and try the first two episodes back to back and not be screwing around on my laptop while watching and see if I can plug in and get some continuity. So @jpmcwjr, I don't think it's fair to assign a rating when I don't make it through! ;)

FYI, The Eiger Sanction is on right now keeping me company as I have some coffee. It's a 3.5/5.0 stars for me.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Just an FYI in a "TV Guide" kind of way - TCM is doing it's one star all day thing this month. Tomorrow . . . Jacqueline Bisset! Not often you can get "The Deep" and "Bullitt" as a double feature. Sunday will be Cary Grant for 24 hours - those who like some pipe smoking in their movies will find some good examples in a few of those.

@cosmicfolklore - I tried my friend, I really tried! I got though about 32 minutes - all the white hair! Seemed a little campy - sort of GOT meets Spartacus but in fairness to the show, I was reading some threads on here at the same time. I'll wait a week and try the first two episodes back to back and not be screwing around on my laptop while watching and see if I can plug in and get some continuity. So @jpmcwjr, I don't think it's fair to assign a rating when I don't make it through! ;)

FYI, The Eiger Sanction is on right now keeping me company as I have some coffee. It's a 3.5/5.0 stars for me.
Yeh, I thought Visrys I looked like an aged English rocker, like maybe a roadie from Led Zeppelin. But, hopefully he will die next weekend, so that we won't have to look at him.
1661256855451.png

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
MV5BYTM0NjZjYjItM2JiYS00NmU5LWJmMTMtZjQ0OWU3Mzk1ZWZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAxNDE3MTE5._V1_.jpg
Sandman

Netflix - 3.75/5

“After years of imprisonment, Morpheus — the King of Dreams — embarks on a journey across worlds to find what was stolen from him and restore his power.’

Excellent casting and characterizations of eternal themes. Some episodes grind to a halt, others are probably not ‘rewatch’ material, while other episodes are very entertaining and will probably deserve repeat viewing.

I think the highlight is the main actor playing Morpheus. He does a fantastic job and carries the show.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Darn - just doing a little scroll through the channel guide and A Room With A View has just started - first movie my then future wife and I attended. Totally screwed, now I’ll be up until 12:30! So many actors of note and some who became more “famous” later. Hope the wife and the old dog ease up on their snoring! A really good film - 5/5* just on the nostalgia factor alone for me. Apparently 0/5 for my sleeping beauty, lol.image.jpg

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Yeh, I thought Visrys I looked like an aged English rocker, like maybe a roadie from Led Zeppelin. But, hopefully he will die next weekend, so that we won't have to look at him.
Lol this is spot on man, he really does look like that!
We watched the first episode last night, I liked it a lot, my wife less so due to the violence. I'd agree that the violence in the GOT series (and in general in the last 10 years in TV series especially) has increased dramatically. I feel that episode could have done with more implied and less shown violence.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Under the Banner of Heaven, mini series based on the book by Jon Krakauer. It tells the story of some brutal murders in Utah and delves into Mormon (LDS) “history” as relayed by the characters. It is compelling, very well acted, and haunting.

It is not an excuse to bash normative religion. Lots of religions have crazy people who do terrible things. l am not LDS, and I have zero axes to grind. It’s just a gripping story and sadly true of this select group of people at this place and time. 5/5

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I know I am behind the curve but I never had a streaming service until now. My daughter let me into her little circle of friends that use her login to access DIsney +. So yesterday i spent the day watching Obi-Wan Kenobi. Figured it would be more of Stars Wars type show, somewhat light-hearted fare with a little drama thrown in. Christ was I wrong. It's as dark as hell with many killings of people, most of whom had nothing to with the story (i.e. senseless killing). Watched it as it had only six episodes left.

I gave it 3/5.

GatorElGato

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Ohio
instagram.com
Just discovered Tubi, free and legal streaming app. They have a lot of older stuff. Which I enjoy. Watched Hard Times (1975) with Charles Bronson and James Coburn 5/5. Going to be rewatching Hondo, also a 5/5.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.