PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Better Call Saul - show wrapped on Monday, excellent series and ending, television doesn't get much better (5/5)

Westworld - Season 4 (rumoured to be the series Finale). 3/5 - weak, not sure why I bothered.
My wife has specifically banned Breaking Bad, and by implication also Better Call Saul, although I've heard great things across the board.

We watched Westworld when it was current, personally found it good throughout if a bit forgettable in the end. Looking at US viewers per episode, it illustrates the point I made by "forgettable", the kind of series that glues you for a while and then you fail to finish it because meh

1660887486879.png

Reactions: Akousticplyr

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I absolutely loved Archive 81 but everyone I recommended it to thought it was terrible. ?‍♂️
Watched two more episodes last night. Ok one and a half because the wife fell asleep. I still find it great, it is very creepy! I haven't read any reviews or analyses etc for it, in fact I read nothing about it at all, it came up on our recommendations on Netflix and we put it on. Now I am convinced it purposefully tips its hat to old horror films like I mentioned above. Once we are done with it I'll do some reading on it, love it!

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Watched two more episodes last night. Ok one and a half because the wife fell asleep. I still find it great, it is very creepy! I haven't read any reviews or analyses etc for it, in fact I read nothing about it at all, it came up on our recommendations on Netflix and we put it on. Now I am convinced it purposefully tips its hat to old horror films like I mentioned above. Once we are done with it I'll do some reading on it, love it!
Yeah, same for me. Had no idea what it was, I love finding a good series that way.

Reactions: karam

WhiteDevilPress

Might Stick Around
My wife has specifically banned Breaking Bad, and by implication also Better Call Saul, although I've heard great things across the board.

We watched Westworld when it was current, personally found it good throughout if a bit forgettable in the end. Looking at US viewers per episode, it illustrates the point I made by "forgettable", the kind of series that glues you for a while and then you fail to finish it because meh

View attachment 163712
You're allowing your wife to do you both a grave disservice by ignoring BB & BCS. I avoided it when it first began, because I couldn't imagine having an interest in drug culture, but finally relented. It soon became obvious that this was a cut above the usual TV writing, and even though I've not seen the last season of BCS, I'd still rate BB and BCS as the best TV series, period. My late wife & I had drastically different takes on the lessons of BB, but I think that's one of the show's aspects that makes it so profound. Hopefully these experiential observations won't be interpreted as "combative" by the thin-skinned here and get the thread shut down. ;)

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
You're allowing your wife to do you both a grave disservice by ignoring BB & BCS. I avoided it when it first began, because I couldn't imagine having an interest in drug culture, but finally relented. It soon became obvious that this was a cut above the usual TV writing, and even though I've not seen the last season of BCS, I'd still rate BB and BCS as the best TV series, period. My late wife & I had drastically different takes on the lessons of BB, but I think that's one of the show's aspects that makes it so profound. Hopefully these experiential observations won't be interpreted as "combative" by the thin-skinned here and get the thread shut down. ;)
Don’t worry, I only get worked up by electric cars ;)

I actually watched all of BB by myself, but my wife hated it immediately to rewatch with me. I agree it is very well thought out and deep as well as entertaining. But my top series has to be the Sopranos, another my wife dislikes as it is “too manly”.

Last edited:

WhiteDevilPress

Might Stick Around
Don’t worry, I only get worked up by electric cars ;)

I actually watched all of BB by myself, but my wife hated it immediately to rewatch with me. I agree it is very well thought out and deep as well as entertaining. But my top series has to be the Sopranos, another my wife dislikes as it is “too manly”.
You would probably also appreciate "The Terminal List" on Amazon Prime. It's a great story, well-written and -acted, and is a timely statement on the abuse of authority. Last time I checked, it was #1 of their self-produced content.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
This one is 5/5 for me! Recorded it earlier, just settling in to watch. Tomorrow night …. Kelly’s Heroes! Haven’t seen it in forever. No negative waves!8015A995-6A9C-4B69-B70E-51A72CD93921.jpeg3DB9920C-FA43-495E-BB52-F940D4F84CFD.jpeg

Reactions: scloyd

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Yeah, same for me. Had no idea what it was, I love finding a good series that way.
Finished it over the weekend. Mixed feelings about it.

I think it was very well made, good acting. Somewhat cliche and expected story. Unfortunately we'll never know how it ends as I read I didn't do well, so Netflix didn't renew for any more seasons.
Good homages:
  • the red coat(s): Don't Look Now - this was the first thing that came to my mind, but feel pretty sure a lot of people who are not horror film buffs will miss
  • the rolling corridor shots: The Shining
  • the floaty bits in the dream (?) sequences: Stranger Things
  • the whole premise: Rosemary's Baby and tangentially The Tenant
  • the found footage: Blair Witch Project
  • the infected tapes: The Ring

Reactions: LotusEater

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Finished it over the weekend. Mixed feelings about it.

I think it was very well made, good acting. Somewhat cliche and expected story. Unfortunately we'll never know how it ends as I read I didn't do well, so Netflix didn't renew for any more seasons.
Good homages:
  • the red coat(s): Don't Look Now - this was the first thing that came to my mind, but feel pretty sure a lot of people who are not horror film buffs will miss
  • the rolling corridor shots: The Shining
  • the floaty bits in the dream (?) sequences: Stranger Things
  • the whole premise: Rosemary's Baby and tangentially The Tenant
  • the found footage: Blair Witch Project
  • the infected tapes: The Ring
Good eye. I’d be lying if I said I caught all those. I figured they left it open ended for a second season, that’s a shame that won’t happen though.

Have you checked out Outer Range on Prime? You might like that one. They got me with the twist and turns, I didn’t see them coming at all. I hope we get a second season.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Ok, so having only satellite for tv and internet for years, and no cell service where we live, I have no idea of what most of these programs are. We recently got high speed internet fiber optic service offered to us hillbilly's out here and I signed up without hesitation. Now I can finally stream this stuff. It's taken some getting used to the mind boggling content available, and that's just the stuff that's free! Loving Freevee even though it has some commercials, but far less than anything I'd been used to. I like cooking competitions, and have been watching My Kitchen Rules from Australia and New Zealand. Unbelievable number of episodes in each season, like 32! 4.5/5 for me.
I also signed up for Apple+ just a couple of weeks ago, and have been watching The Morning Show, mainly because I like to see Jennifer Anniston getting pissed off and swearing a lot. 4/5 for now. Also been watching See, a pretty weird show of a strange future where most of the world population has been wiped out by a virus, and the people left are blind, and it's 200 years later. The queen's "praying" scenes are something else! 5/5 for now. I won't be able to respond here much in the future as I will be watching tv ALL the time now!! :LOL:

Alright, I was debating on watching this but you sold me.
If you loved GOT, you'll love this one. If you think you would have liked GOT, but there were too many characters for you, this was made for you.

If you didn't like GOT because of the violence and nudity and sex... you won't like this.

They are actually touching base on some things that needed tidying up from the GOT series, so there is a reason for this one... not just something to make money. They are already hinting at some Iron Throne mythology that GOT didn't portray.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
If you loved GOT, you'll love this one. If you think you would have liked GOT, but there were too many characters for you, this was made for you.

If you didn't like GOT because of the violence and nudity and sex... you won't like this.

They are actually touching base on some things that needed tidying up from the GOT series, so there is a reason for this one... not just something to make money. They are already hinting at some Iron Throne mythology that GOT didn't portray.
The last 2 seasons of GOT made me regret the time I spent watching the earlier 6. 2.5/5. I'll give HOD a watch so long as those 2 buffoons Benioff and Weiss have nothing to do with it,

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
The last 2 seasons of GOT made me regret the time I spent watching the earlier 6. 2.5/5. I'll give HOD a watch so long as those 2 buffoons Benioff and Weiss have nothing to do with it,
I'm one of the weirdos that actually liked the way it ended. Daenerys losing her mind was an excellent way to screw over the fans who loved her. And, ending with a council... just lightened the mood of it coming to an end. Otherwise, it could have just kept going and going...

Reactions: hawky454 and Kobold
Status
Not open for further replies.