PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Morning all, I’m away from the farm this weekend and down in Hobart which is the finish line for the famed Sydney to Hobart yacht race. I’m out for my morning stroll and some Royal Yacht in this Castello Old Antiquari #33 seems appropriate whilst I wait for sunrise.
View attachment 159816
Looks like you snagged a 75th Anniversary fumed old antiquari! I'm envious. It's beautiful.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Loaded up just half a bowl of Mac Baren Navy Flake. Didn't want to waste a full bowl of tobacco if it would taste horrible. Sour taste is gone, but I could taste wood at the start, I'm assuming fine dust left that stuck and didn't come out from cleaning. It's starting to go away half way through this half bowl.

This is going to be a nightmare break-in, but she smokes so well otherwise. I think the problem is the mortise. Included that in spoiler tag with thumbnails.

So the first bowl or two in this pipe were great, everything was nasty after. I noticed the mortise had some tear-out where they drilled it. I'm thinking stuff got trapped in there from the first smokes.

Cleaned the mortise really well with alcohol yesterday. Then earlier today I took a dowel rod and carefully cut a slit in it into which I put fine grain sand paper, then wrapped around just right to barely fit in the mortise part and carefully sanded it down just enough to smooth the tear-out from where they drilled it, taking as little as possible.

Cleaned it out after sanding as best I could. Pics are after addressing the mortise (I should've taken a shot before I sanded it) as well as a shot of the bowl before loading, showing where whatever bowl coating they used just wiped out after one gentle run of a paper towel in the bowl post smoking. She's definitely getting another alcohol treatment in the depths of the mortise after this.

PXL_20220729_234732440.jpgPXL_20220729_233235869.jpgPXL_20220729_233249612.jpgPXL_20220729_233342921.jpg

The rest of the Navy Flake I pulled will be going in the other pipe once it rests another two hours.

PXL_20220729_233748582.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Glorious CONDOR Plug in a Meer...

sQXVBB2.png

TGFvHJx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.