PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jack the ripper

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2020
Shelbyville, Indiana
I don't ever get tongue bite no matter what I'm smoking, but I'm a slow, methodical and dryer smoker (except with flakes and crumbles). This guy I know that just got into it has constant tongue bite and he uses a churchwarden, so it ought to be a cooler smoke than my billiard.

I smoked with him two days ago and it wasn't long in before I heard gurgling like he was ripping on a water bong! I told him not to draw too hard/heavy and not too fast. After 20 minutes, I had him feel my pipe bowl so he could feel how it was just gently warm rather than hot.

I think his issue was he was trying to keep it going without re-lighting. I explained to him how everyone has to relight, and to not worry about it. It's extremely humid where we live, it's pretty hard to avoid having to relight here anyway. He also basically only likes aromatics at the moment, so I explained to him how higher sugar content and toppings of aromatics just burns a little hotter too. Told him pack lighter and work on pacing, told him to shoot for 30-40 minutes to get through a bowl, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I'll ask him in a few days if he's gotten better about his tongue bite.

I haven't looked through many threads, but I wonder how many of them are newer smokers that might be packing too tight or might be pumping on their pipes a little too hard?

I always take a few unlit puffs before the charring light just to make sure it's not packed too tight. Occasionally I accidentally get a little much and sometimes I can turn the pipe over and bump the heel gently to loosen or take the nail and just loosen up what's in the bottom of the bowl without having to take everything out and repack. Seems to only be an issue with sticky, ribbon cut aromatics though.
Good advice

hyperstar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2022
Formosa, Taiwan
So many things can cause tongue bite.

Aromatic tobaccos can burn a little bit hotter than other non-aromatic tobaccos.
Drying tobacco, loose packing and cool soft drinks can prevent tongue bite.

Another reason is that if you draw the flame too deep when you lit the pipe can cause tongue brun.

There is also a chemical burn! It is mainly the damage caused by the erosion of tar to the mucosal tissue. The surface of the human tongue is covered by many tongue papillae. So, it is easy to absorbed tar, which can easily cause damage to the tongue! It is best to clean your mouth after finish a pipe, and gently brush the surface of the tongue with a soft-bristled toothbrush, which should ease the symptoms.

I used to clean out my pipe before going to bed, and I usually don't wash my hands until the next morning. Over time, the skin that touches the tar became rough, and finally cracks at the knuckles.

xmacro

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
I stopped getting tongue bite once I let my tobacco dry out, either in a dish for an hour or two before smoking, or just open the tin, drop in the humidor, and forget about it for 2 weeks as it acclimates - no drying time needed after that.

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Today I loaded my pipe with PS Cube Cut (PS.41).

It takes a while to get burning well and in the meantime I'm puffing hot air from the lighter into my mouth. I like the tobacco but I wish it could light like 5 Brothers.

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
Always happens to me with the sweeter virginias and sweet toppings blends.

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
Today I loaded my pipe with PS Cube Cut (PS.41).

It takes a while to get burning well and in the meantime I'm puffing hot air from the lighter into my mouth. I like the tobacco but I wish it could light like 5 Brothers.
Same here, I enjoy it but the taste from the lighting process stays with me the whole smoke and then some. It's a hard one to judge as far as moisture, maybe it needs more drying time even though it already feels like grape nuts?

I've never had 5 brothers, is it similar?

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
Same here, I enjoy it but the taste from the lighting process stays with me the whole smoke and then some. It's a hard one to judge as far as moisture, maybe it needs more drying time even though it already feels like grape nuts?

I've never had 5 brothers, is it similar?
ok - 5 Brothers is pure burly and cut very finely, very thinly. It makes angel hair pasta look thick. 5 Brothers was the opposite extreme of how PS41 lights. BUT 5 Brothers in a small bowl will make a real experienced piper take a seat for a while. Its nicotine content is gnarly. It's only sold in pouches. It's fine because it can be a mixer. I like the flavor a lot. If I need a little hit I can count on it on a short drive to work or something.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I've been battling bite on and off. Yesterday EGR bit me from the get go. Today I'm trying it in a different pipe. I intend to dry it out well. If it still bites I'll try a filter. I have had a lot of dental work over the last few months. I've been using listerine daily. It burns like unholy hell. I have to wonder if listerine is leaving my tongue burnt and then the pipe compounds it. Time to try a non-alcohol mouth wash.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
So many things can cause tongue bite.

Aromatic tobaccos can burn a little bit hotter than other non-aromatic tobaccos.

I don’t believe this is true to say anymore. Try smoking strong VAs moist, especially Red VAs.

Even Latakia smoked to moist, or even dried smoking to fast is a really nasty one.

Any tabac, packed wrong, and smoked to moist, or smoked to fast, is a recipe for bite.

I think the Aromatic talk is myth that keeps getting past down from Codger days that needs to die, it’s just not true. ;)

P.S. Bottom line, know your tabac, and smoke accordingly, some can be smoked moister, some better drier, don’t pack to tight, and always smoke/sip slowly.

Reactions: clynch and jpmcwjr

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I've been battling bite on and off. Yesterday EGR bit me from the get go. Today I'm trying it in a different pipe. I intend to dry it out well. If it still bites I'll try a filter. I have had a lot of dental work over the last few months. I've been using listerine daily. It burns like unholy hell. I have to wonder if listerine is leaving my tongue burnt and then the pipe compounds it. Time to try a non-alcohol mouth wash.
Today , no bite. I dried for an hour and went slow. Yesterdays pipe was a poker pipe. Probably packed too tight.