PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jack the ripper

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2020
Shelbyville, Indiana
i Have noticed quite a few posts on tongue bite recently…… I will be the first to admit that I should not be a role model on this subject. I started out life stealing a pinch of my dad’s captain black, and yes, it could bite the Bajesus outta me. I learned (and not quickly) that I was a burley man. Grainger was a savior and soon Iearned to go with burley blends for maximum enjoyment. newer blends have been much kinder to me…..lat tobaccos were just ok , at best. I do love plum cake…… but it has a light lat kick . All this being said, I’ve spent hundreds of dollars trying to ” geT it right”. So, I have a few suggestions for newbies. I know not everyone likes aros but Lane bca is a perfect place to start. Boswell cannot be overstated. Haunted bookshop is very forgiving, as is billy budd blonde. The Cr‘eme de la crème for me was patton’s storm front. In short, there are plenty of blends for new smokers to try out……. You veterans feel free to add blends to this list. Happy smoking to all!

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
As far as listening to vets goes, I generally do most of what ChasingEmbers recommends. Dry, pack loosely, even bought some Biotene for a severe case of tongue bite. I just don't gravity fill haha. Learning's part of the fun of smoking for me since you can only do and get better at it with patience and practice.

Speaking of lane, I really enjoy LL-7 so i decided to take a look at what else was good from them. I can't tell if i like or dislike HGL, but RLP-6 had me wanting more from it. As in a berry note. so I added some Sutliff Raspberry Cobbler to it and it turned out great... before the burn hit my tongue so bad salt and soda made me wince in pain.:ROFLMAO: You never know how far you've got until after done it.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Not sure if this is what you are enquiring about, but if you are looking for a mild burley aro, then Scotty's Butternut Burley is a good choice. It never seems to bite even when pushed hard.
If non-biting aros in general are what you are after, then I can recommend Kendal Black Cherry or Sutliff Crumble Kake Orchard Mist. Hope this helps in some way. Cheers!

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I don't ever get tongue bite no matter what I'm smoking, but I'm a slow, methodical and dryer smoker (except with flakes and crumbles). This guy I know that just got into it has constant tongue bite and he uses a churchwarden, so it ought to be a cooler smoke than my billiard.

I smoked with him two days ago and it wasn't long in before I heard gurgling like he was ripping on a water bong! I told him not to draw too hard/heavy and not too fast. After 20 minutes, I had him feel my pipe bowl so he could feel how it was just gently warm rather than hot.

I think his issue was he was trying to keep it going without re-lighting. I explained to him how everyone has to relight, and to not worry about it. It's extremely humid where we live, it's pretty hard to avoid having to relight here anyway. He also basically only likes aromatics at the moment, so I explained to him how higher sugar content and toppings of aromatics just burns a little hotter too. Told him pack lighter and work on pacing, told him to shoot for 30-40 minutes to get through a bowl, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

I'll ask him in a few days if he's gotten better about his tongue bite.

I haven't looked through many threads, but I wonder how many of them are newer smokers that might be packing too tight or might be pumping on their pipes a little too hard?

I always take a few unlit puffs before the charring light just to make sure it's not packed too tight. Occasionally I accidentally get a little much and sometimes I can turn the pipe over and bump the heel gently to loosen or take the nail and just loosen up what's in the bottom of the bowl without having to take everything out and repack. Seems to only be an issue with sticky, ribbon cut aromatics though.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
In both cases, it sounds like more time and care drying the tobacco before loading is indicated.

And the length of the stem makes precious little difference- otherwise, no one would smoke a nose warmer!
I'm just guessing on that, since I've often heard that a Liverpool smokes cooler for example. I understand where the idea of the longer it takes the smoke to get from bowl, the cooler it will be, I just personally always had a hard time seeing the length of stem having nearly that much of a cooling effect, unless it was ridiculously long or ran through a cooler of some kind like an ice bath. I mean the fog machine I have for Halloween has a home made fog chilling box and the amount of hose and ice in that box is ridiculous and it's still not cool enough to stay low to the ground very long on a cool October night. Fog chillers I have seen for sale online often are much larger (like a 30 gallon garbage can) and indicate using dry ice instead of just regular water ice.

I could see short stem being hotter maybe when you're at the very bottom of the bowl or if you were trying to light dottle maybe, but still would be having to pull pretty hard to get heat through.

Glad to hear a confirmation of stem length not mattering.

Reactions: STP and jpmcwjr

Jack the ripper

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2020
Shelbyville, Indiana
Great posts, all of you . Not everyone is susceptible to the same tobaccos, and variety is fun to explore., albeit expensive…..so, let’s hear your favorite blends, sans tongue bite.

Jack the ripper

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2020
Shelbyville, Indiana
Not sure if this is what you are enquiring about, but if you are looking for a mild burley aro, then Scotty's Butternut Burley is a good choice. It never seems to bite even when pushed hard.
If non-biting aros in general are what you are after, then I can recommend Kendal Black Cherry or Sutliff Crumble Kake Orchard Mist. Hope this helps in some way. Cheers!
It does help!

Jack the ripper

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2020
Shelbyville, Indiana
As far as listening to vets goes, I generally do most of what ChasingEmbers recommends. Dry, pack loosely, even bought some Biotene for a severe case of tongue bite. I just don't gravity fill haha. Learning's part of the fun of smoking for me since you can only do and get better at it with patience and practice.

Speaking of lane, I really enjoy LL-7 so i decided to take a look at what else was good from them. I can't tell if i like or dislike HGL, but RLP-6 had me wanting more from it. As in a berry note. so I added some Sutliff Raspberry Cobbler to it and it turned out great... before the burn hit my tongue so bad salt and soda made me wince in pain.:ROFLMAO: You never know how far you've got until after done it.
Embers is a very knowledgeable source, no doubt…..I personally align with pipe stud and jiminks. Again, find the blends that whisper to you…… happiness found!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
since I've often heard that a Liverpool smokes cooler for example
With the speed the smoke travels from the ember to your mouth, a pipe would have to be many feet long to provide a noticeable difference. That's where the technique of the smoker comes into play. No pipe design or gimmick is going to replace good smoking habits.

Reactions: Jack the ripper

Jack the ripper

Might Stick Around
May 19, 2020
Shelbyville, Indiana

Sutliff raspberry is great!

• Love
Reactions: Chasing Embers