PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

xmacro

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
Had a Fikri Baki meerschaum for awhile now, and the stem finally gave out - chewed right thru the fishtail mouthpiece, so I need a replacement. I don't know anything about stems or parts, so I'm wondering, anyone know if FIkri uses some special stems, or can I just pick up a replacement off Amazon?

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Any stem to be perfect should be modeled with the pipe on hand so send it to a reputable repair shop as listed above. You will be disappointed if you'll buy a stem by yourself as it wont fit perfectly with the shape of the pipe. About the material I have a Baki pipe with cumberland stem which is beautiful and I think his stems are cumberland or vulcanite.

xmacro

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
Much appreciated, guess I'll send it in instead of DIY.

As for what kind of stem material to replace it with, any suggestions?

I absolutely hate vulcanite - a meerschaum Peterson I have is completely unuseable due to the foul taste the vulcanite has developed over 5 years of non-use in my drawer. Never wanna deal with that stuff again
OTOH, I got a white dot Dunhill from a friend ages upon ages ago, and that stem has never needed replacing and never oxidized on me, really the only stem that's never let me down, anyone know what material it is?

xmacro

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
Definitely, it's still my favorite briar & go-to after all these years.

So anyone have know what material it is, or suggestions for what material to replace the Fikri pipe with? I'm more than a little disappointed it gave out on me since I don't chew or even hold them with my teeth since it gives me a sore jaw while my Armellini only has a few bite marks after years of service

Reactions: Chasing Embers

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I’m looking at a bunch of them on Ali right now listed as Cumberland.

Cumberland is not acrylic, it’s brindled vulcanite or ebonite.

People are making acrylic look like Cumberland, but it’s not the same thing.

I have a pipe from Bay Denmark, that is Cumberland, trust me when I say, this is not acrylic, feels nothing like it. ;)

A7BD098D-B483-47A3-8E42-EE0F4FC18C23.jpeg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’m looking at a bunch of them on Ali right now listed as Cumberland.

Cumberland is not acrylic, it’s brindled vulcanite or ebonite.

People are making acrylic look like Cumberland, but it’s not the same thing.

I have a pipe from Bay Denmark, that is Cumberland, trust me when I say, this is not acrylic, feels nothing like it. ;)

View attachment 171255
He works with acrylic too though.

It was stated elsewhere that the stock at Ali Express may be the last of them as Fikri is retiring.

Reactions: PipeIT

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Had a Fikri Baki meerschaum for awhile now, and the stem finally gave out - chewed right thru the fishtail mouthpiece, so I need a replacement. I don't know anything about stems or parts, so I'm wondering, anyone know if FIkri uses some special stems, or can I just pick up a replacement off Amazon?
We want pictures of the pipe you speak of! Must be colored nicely!