Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
@timelord nice watches! I promise I will get over to that forum you sent me.

Anyone with experience with Peugeot watches? Looks like an affordable option for a dress watch

View attachment 145687
Sorry, no experience at all but I did have a search in WUS and look at their website...

Claim to be a US manufacturer with a history going back to 1957; most likely the ownership has changed since then. Shipping and customer service seems to be based in Brooklyn but the watches will almost certainly be made in China.

Absolutely nothing to do with the French car maker.

I've not found any useful comments about experience, quality etc.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
While I do like the looks of this one, some pictures make it look rather large and ackward.

This has caught my eye as yet another affordable option.

View attachment 146054
Stührling are another American company who make watches in China. They make some quite nice looking watches and do get some good reviews. I've seen a few posted in the daily Affordables 'WRUW' (what are you wearing) threads; didn't find any worrying negative comments in WUS but generally they.

Do you know the case size? I have a 20,5cm wrist (~8.1" in old money) and can happily wear any watch between 35mm and 47mm. Usually I wear 38-42mm watches but my 'dress watches' are 35-38.

Obviously this is a completely different shape to the earlier one but it would be my preferred option if choosing between the two; but, have you considered anything from Timex or Orient? Both brands have good range and reputation and both are usually available below list price on Amazon or from a 'grey market' dealer such as Jomashop [*].

Whilst I usually take watch reviews on the 'web with a huge pinch of salt - too many are paid for or sponsored (and don't get me started on the talking heads on utoob) - these are a couple links that may be of interest:

Stuhrling Watch Review (Are They Good Quality Watches?) - Watch Ranker - https://watchranker.com/stuhrling-watch-review/

Stuhrling Watch Review: Are The Watches Any Good? | Watch Researcher - https://www.watchresearcher.com/stuhrling-watch-review/

[*] Grey market sellers take on remaindered or overstock items from brand authorised dealers; prices are usually cheaper; caveat at is you usually don't get the manufacturers warranty. I have bought a couple of watches from Jomashop that I couldn't find elsewhere. Just be aware if buying from Jomashop that if they say "in stock, ships 1-3 days" then they do have it in stock and it will be shipped as stated. If they say something else (like, available in x weeks) then they don't have it but have the expectation they can get one from one of their industry contacts , sometimes that expectation is not met and the customer may be in for a very long wait (or a refund).

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
I don’t know much about watches
So I’m hoping some of you can help me out. I’d really like to find a nice entry level vintage automatic.
Can anyone suggest some good makers and maybe some to avoid?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Lotuseater, you really cannot go wrong with a Seiko 5. A whole raft of dials & styles to choose from and a very robust if basic automatic movement.

They've been around for years.....and that is because they are so simple yet bulletproof. Also they're cheap as chips to buy which is another plus.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: timelord

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Lotuseater, you really cannot go wrong with a Seiko 5. A whole raft of dials & styles to choose from and a very robust if basic automatic movement.

They've been around for years.....and that is because they are so simple yet bulletproof. Also they're cheap as chips to buy which is another plus.

Regards,

Jay.
Thanks for the suggestion
I’ve aready started scrolling through images of Seiko 5s! They are very affordable and there are a ton of different styles.
Any other suggestions?