PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Some members (myself included) like to share photos of our pipes. Some, not so much.

When I returned to smoking pipes a few years ago, I had over twenty pipes from the '70s-80s but was curious at what other pipes were available. The last tobacconist of note in Sydney had closed, and so buying online was the most practical option.

Lurking on these aforementioned opened my eyes to the vast variety available. I discovered not just briars, but mortas, meerschaums, olive wood, strawberry wood, clay, porcelain and old vintage pipes. Until then I had no idea that it was possible to buy a 100+ year old "relic" in a usable/smokrable condition.

Photos that members had posted of their pipes were my inspiration.
Also photos of pipes that had been cleaned up with before&after pics got me started on the road of buying estates.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I concur. I enjoy seeing the pictures of all the interesting and amazing pipes out there. The rugged handsomeness (beauty) of a pipe is one of the aesthetic attractions many have to owning more than a few pipes or a very parochial 7 day rotation.
I really like seeing some the antique pipes and those modified or made by members!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Here’s an example of how insidious all of this is.

On the Show Your Peterson’s thread I saw the Peterson Phoenix.

So I spent about five minutes justifying NOT buying another modern Pete then I went on Pipe Nook to confirm I really didn’t need another Pete and then I clicked on a shape to double confirm I didn’t a need another Pete…..

…..oh, it has a swirled acrylic stem, oh, well that makes me recalculate the whole, oh, it’s in my cart, huh, well, I’ve made this far, I’m no quitter. Well damn, a charge showed up on my credit card, oh well, it’s fate.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
It really is great, especially with the more niche pipe-makers. When I was looking at buying my first Wandi Riyadi it was really helpful to be able to DM the members here who'd mentioned having one. I don't know that I'd have risked it otherwise.
I'll spent the money anyway; the enablers here help me to use it better!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey

So I spent about five minutes justifying NOT buying another modern Pete then I went on Pipe Nook to confirm I really didn’t need another Pete and then I clicked on a shape to double confirm I didn’t a need another Pete…..

…..oh, it has a swirled acrylic stem, oh, well that makes me recalculate the whole, oh, it’s in my cart, huh, well, I’ve made this far, I’m no quitter. Well damn, a charge showed up on my credit card, oh well, it’s fate.
The Phoenix is tempting!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
The pics are so fun. I love seeing others pipes, and have certainly been inspired by several, if not dozens.

And I am not too proud to say that posting pictures of mine makes me feel just a little special. And helps counter the dick slapping my wife usually proffers at the sight of a new pipe appearing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm one of those who isn't interested in what others own/are buying. But, I understand that some are interested in the neighbor's new car or, what the ladies on the runways are wearing. There's jealousy of course, simple curiosity and wondering if "they are falling behind." Mostly harmless fun I guess but, I still find such interest a bit . . . well, intrusive. Especially when a poster demands "Show Us Your pipe, lighter, Ferndale, whosis, pipe knife, used pipe cleaner, and so forth. No, "Please", or reason why the curiosity. Just the simple demand, "Show us ..."

Last edited:

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina

Damnit Ash, you just had to mention this pipe, and I just had to go see it for myself. I'm past confirming I don't need it, and....oh well you know the rest. The 221 got me. Looks like I need another pipe rack too.

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
I don’t agree. I don’t have PAD too bad yet. I’m still of the mindset that “pipes are tools” and am content with my $60-$100 pipes. Y’all start showing all your cool pipes, I’ll start getting jealous and start looking to upgrade.

I got TAD real bad, don’t give me PAD!! Lol. J/k. Post away, I do enjoy seeing what ya got
Nah..... doesn't matter what pipe bro, as long as they are pipes ? You know? I'm a person that switch from briar pipes to cob pipes, because of saw other members' corn cob pipes pictures here ?. Not to say switch like totally dump my briar pipe, it's that now I smoke more cob pipes than briar pipes, and I have more cob pipes than briar pipes ?

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Some members (myself included) like to share photos of our pipes. Some, not so much.

When I returned to smoking pipes a few years ago, I had over twenty pipes from the '70s-80s but was curious at what other pipes were available. The last tobacconist of note in Sydney had closed, and so buying online was the most practical option.

Lurking on these aforementioned opened my eyes to the vast variety available. I discovered not just briars, but mortas, meerschaums, olive wood, strawberry wood, clay, porcelain and old vintage pipes. Until then I had no idea that it was possible to buy a 100+ year old "relic" in a usable/smokrable condition.

Photos that members had posted of their pipes were my inspiration.
Also photos of pipes that had been cleaned up with before&after pics got me started on the road of buying estates.
Agree! I love seeing pipe pictures! Maybe because of my curiosity, I like seeing different pipe shape, different material of pipes, and different grain pattern, and I like to know how they smoke.

So..... I love to see pipe pictures ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
On the other side of the coin, it can act as aversion therapy. Several years of seeing new pipes here has desensitized my enthusiasm for buying them. I'll probably buy well made skull meerschaums and will get annual Halloween and Santa pipes from J. Everett, but scanning over most retailers sites doesn't elicit any urges to buy.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
On the other side of the coin, it can act as aversion therapy. Several years of seeing new pipes here has desensitized my enthusiasm for buying them. I'll probably buy well made skull meerschaums and will get annual Halloween and Santa pipes from J. Everett, but scanning over most retailers sites doesn't elicit any urges to buy.
Still see you posting new pipes Duane ?
Keep doing so

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I was always too lazy to photograph and post my pipes, so I wrote detailed descriptions in my posts. I got a ton of flack for it on several forums for years, so I eventually caved in. I still keep the pipe descriptions in my smoking posts out of habit.