Consensus on What Tobaccos in Types of Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

turtlehead

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2022
Citrus Heights, CA
timhalberg.com
Title edited. Consensus is general.

Curious if there's any general consensus as to what kind of tobacco blends people will smoke in what type of pipe, eg: briar, meerschaum, cob, ect....

Are there certain things, eg: Virginias are WAY better smoked out of cobs (no idea... just giving sample)

I know, all this puffing stuff is super personal
BUT - is there any general consensus?

I'd hate to smoke a virginia out of a cob to come and find out that it's so much better in briar, and yet I gave up on the tobacco thinking it was just aweful because I had the wrong type of pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ryan and JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've heard a lot of "rules" about the proper combination of tobacco and pipe chamber shape over the years, very few of which hold up. I've learned what works for me.

If I were to offer any suggestions it would be, dry your tobacco, don't pack tight, don't puff like a freight train, and then experiment to find what works best for you, and keep experimenting.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I only do this if I am trying something new and I'm uncertain about whether I will like it or not...in which case I use a clay. But after that, I just smoke with whatever pipe I decide to use(although I would choose a pipe based on what was previously smoked in it. I wouldn't smoke St Bruno in a pipe that I smoke Visions of Celephais in, for instance).

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I’ve seen variations of this question posted often, one of them was my own post.

I have found that I do like certain tobacco blends in certain pipes, but I’m not sure how much the chamber size/shape has to do with it. I just know my experience with certain blends seems to be better in certain pipes.

I do recommend trying a particular blend in several pipes and discovering for yourself which pipe you prefer it in. In the end, your experience is the one that will mean the most when making these sorts of choices. For example, I know there are some blends I really prefer in a cob, and I only found out through trial and error.

As others have stated, a real consensus on any subject can be hard to achieve. In the end, only one opinion will matter in regards to your smoking pleasure. Keep smoking and the answers will reveal themselves.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find I get poor smokes in any pipe with a conical chamber, thus I avoid them. OTOH I could be nuts. Or am.
weird brown dog in your photo. Almost got run over by a pack of those last friday while out for a smoke. Yeah conical chambers seem great to me if you make sure the tobacco is really super extra dry. OTherwise it kind of dies half way.

Reactions: JOHN72 and kcghost