PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Don't worry about it. This comes with the territory as you learn to control your materials.

The above advice about drying down your tobacco and packing loosely is spot on. As you become more experienced you'll get a sense how things work together. Experiment with different moisture levels as well as packing densities, but start with a light pack and fairly dry tobacco. That should be easier to control at the outset.

If the pipe goes out, just relight. It's no big deal.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I know it’s a relative consensus that increasing the number of relights queers the smoking experience. But, if the bowl goes out you have only one recourse but to light it up again. Overtime you’ll get better. Practice with different cuts, packing methods & moisture levels to see what is best for you. Nothing is gonna cure this but practice & time so have fun with it. ?☕

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I've been smoking pipes for only a couple months. I really enjoy it. I'm having trouble keeping my pipe burning. I can get a pretty good ember but it never lasts long. Do you guys have any tips that might help?
I second the posts that say dry the tobacco even more. I've found that I tamp a lot in order to keep my pipe lit. Very light tamps, but sometimes 5-6 times during a smoking session. I also usually have to dump some ash 2/3 of the way through the bowl on some blends.

I have a small percentage of my pipes that will stay lit for a long time, while I go to the restroom, or stop and get gas... but for the most part, to keep my pipes going, I don't remove them from my clench. When I complain about people talking to me or asking questions, it's because a response from me removes me from my task of smoking. And, I'd rather smoke than chat. But... YMMV

Mar 1, 2014
I've been smoking pipes for only a couple months. I really enjoy it. I'm having trouble keeping my pipe burning. I can get a pretty good ember but it never lasts long. Do you guys have any tips that might help?
Pay attention to which blends burn well when you look at reviews.
Some blends won't burn even while crunchy dry, others will start to burn out of control fresh from the tin.
If you want to pretty much guarantee an easy burn then look for Shag Cut tobacco.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I usually let the tobacco sit in a bowl for maybe 10 - 20 mins. I'll try dryer tobacco next time.
Drying tobacco in the bowl is slightly better than nothing, but best drying happens outside the chamber.

In the bowl, the top layer will dry slightly, but the bottom will stay damp. Ideally, the tobacco at the bottom will start out dryer than at the top. Mileage varies.

Drying tobacco in the bowl is slightly better than nothing, but best drying happens outside the chamber.

In the bowl, the top layer will dry slightly, but the bottom will stay damp. Ideally, the tobacco at the bottom will start out dryer than at the top. Mileage varies.
You just gave me an interesting idea. For the three step pack method dry the first bit a lot more and then pack the remaining a little less dry. I may try that experiment. As one smokes the top of the bowl the combustion moisture will dampen the lower bit but not make it soggy as it is already very dry. Someone has had to have tried this but the scientist in me loves experimentation :)

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
There is really no one method that is best. Packing? My Grandfather packed his pipe similarly to the "Frank method". He had to re-light. I just pinch and stuff, with a bit of tamping and emptying the ash occasionally. I have to re-light. Drying time is a matter of preference. My opinion is if I wanted dry tobacco I can smoke with one light, I'd go back to cigarettes LOL. Just keep at it, and don't worry if you have to re-light ~ everyone does.

Reactions: Swifturtle

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I always have my tobacco slightly on the moist side, but nevertheless, for the most part I will smoke the whole chamber load on just one light.
It's a question of efficient packing, regular tamping, and creating just the right amount of vacuum to keep the pipe going.
In short, you gotta practice, it's not going to happen overnight.

I second this advice. I also smoke on the moist side, and can (if I want) keep pretty much anything I've tried lit on one match with timely tamping. If it's a deep bowl, dump the ash for the last third.

The only thing I would warn is that in my experience, repeated tamping sometimes makes the bowl smoke hot.