PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Swifturtle

Lurker
Feb 15, 2022
Pennsylvania
I've been smoking pipes for only a couple months. I really enjoy it. I'm having trouble keeping my pipe burning. I can get a pretty good ember but it never lasts long. Do you guys have any tips that might help?

Reactions: JOHN72
Same here. I can keep it going if i chug it but then tongue bite unless it is black cav. Sometimes I get half a bowl but then have to relight often. That is either from improper packing or moisture (ie I didn't dry it enough). I have tried different cadences, sipping etc and even the "breathe"method which I freaking hate. I don't find it relaxin at all if I have to sit there and focus on in out in out through nose, blah blah blah. Plus with the breath method the taste is not as good for me at least. I have resigned myself to a good first half bowl and then relight gingerly. I have improved a lot in the last few months and I will get there. Relighting is OK but I must admit it takes away from the relaxation factor for me but I am intense guy these days. need to retire - peace

Dry the tobacco more.

Dry it still more.

More.

And, yes, more.

Try it now. Your tongue will thank you.
Nope - been there done that - dried it crispy and it tastes like freaking Forest Floor blend to me. Please note I said "for me" everyone is differnet. I'd rather be ginger and get max flavor with a little moisture. I know some like it bone dry but not me. I will admit I am still trying to find the moisture sweet spot and experimenting. The bowl of Folklore I had last night was slightly moist and it was delightful :) THANK YOU @B.Fee

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
There certainly is such a thing as too dry but usually wet tobacco is the main culprit for a pipe that won’t stay lit.

Assuming that’s not the problem it’s down to packing incorrectly, a badly drilled pipe, or something you are doing - I don’t want to say wrong, but … less than right?

I guess experimentation is in order. Keep us posted!

I recommend experimenting a lot to find what is right for you. We are all different - try different blends, cadences and dryness and pipes I suppose. I have read all the boards and the great advice here and elsewhere - try them all and you will find a fit. I should know, I am extremely sensitive to bite to the point of literal sores in my mouth (tongue, cheeks and palate) and I have made a ton of progress.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
It’s more than likely a case of not tamping enough. An ember is fine, but tobacco expands as it gets hot, thus if you don’t tamp , there’s nothing to fuel that ember.
Just don’t tamp too hard, or you’ll crush out that ember. It should be a light tamp, similar to pushing your tamper down on the cotton in a medicine bottle. Slightest feel of resistance should be sufficient.

Next most likely culprit would be a restricted airflow, either by too tight a packing, or a improperly drilled airway.

It’s more than likely a case of not tamping enough. An ember is fine, but tobacco expands as it gets hot, thus if you don’t tamp , there’s nothing to fuel that ember.
Just don’t tamp too hard, or you’ll crush out that ember. It should be a light tamp, similar to pushing your tamper down on the cotton in a medicine bottle. Slightest feel of resistance should be sufficient.

Next most likely culprit would be a restricted airflow, either by too tight a packing, or a improperly drilled airway.
i tamp with my finger mostly - too hard and i get burnt ;)

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I've been smoking pipes for only a couple months. I really enjoy it. I'm having trouble keeping my pipe burning. I can get a pretty good ember but it never lasts long. Do you guys have any tips that might help?
Keep smoking the same blend until you get it right. I say that because ever blend is just a bit different. Best to figure it out on a blend you know and like first l and once solved, move to another blend and tweak the process based on the previous experience. Tedious? Yes, at first, but getting that first blend figured out will go a long way to building experience and knowledge for the next blend and the one after which will help it all become easier.

Swifturtle

Lurker
Feb 15, 2022
Pennsylvania
There certainly is such a thing as too dry but usually wet tobacco is the main culprit for a pipe that won’t stay lit.

Assuming that’s not the problem it’s down to packing incorrectly, a badly drilled pipe, or something you are doing - I don’t want to say wrong, but … less than right?

I guess experimentation is in order. Keep us posted!
I usually let the tobacco sit in a bowl for maybe 10 - 20 mins. I'll try dryer tobacco next time.

I also have been trying a different packing method I've seen on YouTube. I usually just let the tobacco fall into the bowl after scooping the tobacco. The air flow did feel a little restricted lately. I'll go back to packing the way I normally did.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
don't worry about it. Seems like the more you worry about it the more it happens. The less you worry the less it happens. Also when it goes out dump the ash that seems to help a lot actually. I think the ash can smother the tobacco sometimes. And it seems like not trying to make sure it stays lit somehow is the best condition for keeping it going. :) Like I think freight puffing it actually for some reason creates a situation that lets it go out sooner. There is probably some science behind it but I prefer to think that it's just how the magic pipe faries work.

Swifturtle

Lurker
Feb 15, 2022
Pennsylvania
don't worry about it. Seems like the more you worry about it the more it happens. The less you worry the less it happens. Also when it goes out dump the ash that seems to help a lot actually. I think the ash can smother the tobacco sometimes. And it seems like not trying to make sure it stays lit somehow is the best condition for keeping it going. :) Like I think freight puffing it actually for some reason creates a situation that lets it go out sooner. There is probably some science behind it but I prefer to think that it's just how the magic pipe faries work.
That's a good idea with the ash. I'll try it next time.

Reactions: anotherbob

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
I usually let the tobacco sit in a bowl for maybe 10 - 20 mins. I'll try dryer tobacco next time.

I also have been trying a different packing method I've seen on YouTube. I usually just let the tobacco fall into the bowl after scooping the tobacco. The air flow did feel a little restricted lately. I'll go back to packing the way I normally did.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help!
I think I had a thread years ago with a similar story. I was content with my pipe. Then I saw all the new-to-me packing techniques etc etc on youtube and other media and it all just went for a ball of spit.

Went back to how I usually did things and it all came back.

Don’t overthink it, fill your pipe, test the draw, char and light and let your mind wander.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Everyone's not all different when it comes to pipe smoking. That's biggest misconception there is. The pipe is a tool that requires correct operation in order to perform properly. Your tobacco needs to be dried enough to burn without going out too quickly. Certain amount of moistness will work, but beyond that point, it won't sustain the ember. You can compensate that by sucking on the stem like a $20 whore, but who wants that? You can also learn to pack properly. The whole idea of packing the pipe chamber is to leave enough room at the bottom so you get free draw. Packed pipe will be harder to draw, and if your tamping skill is less than ideal, you will only compact tobacco tighter. Yes, it requires finding your sweet spot, but the basic principles behind how the pipe operates and keep going is same universally.