PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Edit: do you dry Lakelands? I never do, think unlike other tobaccos they lose a lot by drying, and smoke well without it.
Only as much drying as they get from being rubbed out or cube cut. That example was 7 year old Ennerdale. I've never had to ream a pipe purchased new and the one in the photo has only been smoked three times.?

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
That came from a fully filled chamber of Ennerdale Flake.?
I thought it looked more like gun powder - is Ennerdale a Flake or Double Flake Powder?

7F7FE8A6-7639-4262-95DD-721E8E518955.jpeg

Impressive for sure.

I figure you don’t smoke a cigar to the very end…I know can’t, even though someone will post a photo proving you can. But, generally…When it won’t ramp without force and/or stay light - it’s done for me. I tried messing with it different ways, but, why when you can load a fresh bowl and enjoy without the stress? ?‍♂️

Last edited:

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
Haha - I
I've never seen white ash come out of a pipe, it's always blue/gray.?‍♂️
I can see white ash sometimes looking into the chamber - but I don’t believe white ash is an indicator suggesting high quality tobacco. Some of the best tobacco I’ve smoked; has a gray ash. Anything that burns is gonna have some black in it too. I’m going to trust soil types, weather conditions, processing and blenders play a more significant role in the taste than what color the flicking ash is…. Who the hell started that stupid bullshit anyway? Probably some cigar smoker. ?

Not to thread steal here - but, can anyone explain the nonsense associated with white ash and why it truly matters?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I would like to see what people are left with when done smoking. Has there ever been a "Show me your dottle and I'll show you mine" thread?

Was always curious if I am an efficient smoker or if I'm wasting.
This is the ash from a bowl I finished a few minutes ago. I also have bowls where there's more dottle. It's not something I give much thought to or am concerned about. I'm not going to put a lot of effort in so I can get four or five more puffs. I think if you dry your tobacco enough and pack properly, there should be minimal dottle.

image.jpg

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Haha - I

I can see white ash sometimes looking into the chamber - but I don’t believe white ash is an indicator suggesting high quality tobacco. Some of the best tobacco I’ve smoked; has a gray ash. Anything that burns is gonna have some black in it too. I’m going to trust soil types, weather conditions, processing and blenders play a more significant role in the taste than what color the flicking ash is…. Who the hell started that stupid bullshit anyway? Probably some cigar smoker. ?

Not to thread steal here - but, can anyone explain the nonsense associated with white ash and why it truly matters?
Smoking a bowl down to white ash, as many folks say, signifies the enjoyment of the experience. You enjoyed it so much that you took the time to finish the bowl completely to the point of no smokable ? left. It’s like cleaning your plate after a good meal…nothing left meaning it was delicious.?‍♂️☕

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As cosmic pointed out; burning the pipe.

Be careful with a nice pipe smoking all the way down and burning the bottom and charring the airway.

Long article!
Key point:

"When the tobacco in a pipe is near the end and starts tasting bad, it should just be dumped out.

Well, yeah!

You keep hearing that you have to smoke it down until there's no more tobacco."

I seldom see/hear that.