PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
If I had my drothers, I'd be like all the other normal folks here and cap myself at, say, half a dozen. Unfortunately, as is often the case, my drothers is nowhere to be found, as elusive as brain cells at an FDA meeting. I bought an "insta-cellar" last year full of opened tins, and I've slowly been whittling blends down to what I like. I'm down to 32 jars, about a dozen less than in the beginning. Doing my best here!

So yeah...don't do what I did. Unless you want to spend half an hour before each smoking pondering your choices. :confused:

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I’ve jarred everything I’ve ever tried. Easily over 100 jars. Current rotation of maybe 24? But then, one calls me. I just opened a 4 year old jar of Solani aged burley flake I must have not cared for initially and think it’s great now - great condition, doesn’t need hydration. Just ordered more! I’ve have tossed a few (mixture 79), plus a few I just hated as much as 79.

Michigan_Bill

Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
Currently at four. I am a newbie so definitely in the grip of the "try everything" urge but I’m trying to resist. The four are Lane 1-Q, Early Morning Pipe, Presbyterian, and Orlick Golden Slices. I would like to, if you will, see each of them clearly in my mind, before branching out to more choices. (Weird, admittedly). But my Secret Santa giftee has been giving me some good advice and has offered to help point me in the right direction! ? So good! And also I’m excited and hopeful and wondering what my Secret Santa will send me… ?

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
What's considered open?
I keep 3 blends in display jars that I smoke all day and next to that 1 jar I smoke once a night but also currently have 146 jars at last count each containing between 1-4oz in a cupboard above my smoking station. Which I randomly pull from a few times a week to smoke a bowl or 5 before putting back in the cupboard?‍♂️

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
What's considered open?
I keep 3 blends in display jars that I smoke all day and next to that 1 jar I smoke once a night but also currently have 146 jars at last count each containing between 1-4oz in a cupboard above my smoking station. Which I randomly pull from a few times a week to smoke a bowl or 5 before putting back in the cupboard?‍♂️
See, now this is what I'm talking about and I'm surprised there aren't more people doing the same. It's like being a kid in a candy store. I was impressed that you actually took the time to count your jars, so I did the same. I've only got 62 jars ready to dip into, plus a half dozen open tins at the moment. Most of those blends (practically all) are just a portion of a larger amount sleeping in the basement.

Infantry23

Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
As I first really started exploring different blends and finding my tastes I tried everything under the sun. Perhaps it would be easier for me to count the number NOT opened or smoked.

Would I call it a "rotation?" Nah, perhaps not because I'm not on a set schedule. However, I have probably 30 open tins that have been jarred and I smoke from regularly. As I've figured out my tastes better I've been leaning towards about 10 or so that get the lion's share of the action. There is really only one blend that I'm not that big on right now but I dutifully jarred it and will try it again in a year or two to see how I feel.

Once I finish my open jars I imagine I will find myself smoking a rotation of about 8 or so tobaccos. There are two or three aros I like and a few VaPers and a few English / Oriental / Balkan blends I dig.

Zapasta

Lurker
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
Once you start using canning jars, you never have to worry about this and your whole collection is the rotation. But before I started using canning jars, I would try to have no more than four (maybe five) open at a time.

Reactions: edger and jafo1989

Zapasta

Lurker
Oct 23, 2021
Tampa, FL
I'm afraid either, I don't understand what you mean, or you don't understand how aging works. If you open a jar, it is no longer aging. That's just how it works.
I'm not talking about aging. Just saying if you have 10 tobaccos in canning jars, that's better than ten open tins with no seal.

Reactions: jpmcwjr