PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This is one of the standard classic tinned tobaccos every pipe lover should keep.

It doesn’t taste like plums, or pudding, and it’s made by Sutliff.

If bought as a part of a special it’s $10 a can and if alone it’s $15, and a half pound is $40.

It’s blend of Latakia, Virginias, Perique and Cavendish and it’s Joe Lankford’s master opus.

There’s plenty of but not too much Latakia, you can taste the sweet Virginias, there’s a just right spice of Perique, and the cavendish smooths the blend. Incredibly slow burning, this delivers complex and zesty flavors all the way to the bottom, and with a good dose of nicotine.

Pipe smokers in America are privileged by the availability of excellent pipe tobaccos that cost between one to five dollars an ounce.

Plum Pudding, is top shelf.
4935B648-7C59-4599-8DB9-FD33BD6C8F2D.jpeg805A7369-98C9-4E0E-9563-549FE76AB6CB.jpegF72B55F9-2952-4E78-BC08-F269F5D13452.jpeg7832311C-1834-4174-8E98-F359F3956800.jpeg

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’m also a big fan. PP is the first quality tobacco I smoked and it’s still a favorite.
this is why we need an out of context page. Big fan of PP :) I still need to try this. The only Seatle Pipe Club blend I've smoked was a lane vanilla Pioneer Square. It was really good actually but it sounds like not even close to what this is.
When people describe this is always reminds me I need more Tuskegee Airman. Not even sure if they're similar.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've got some. One unopened tin and one that's been in a jar for 3 years missing one bowl. Perhaps I'll dig it out of the cellar, slice off a bit and give it another whirl.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

MAH

Lurker
Oct 12, 2021
No. MD
Question for you, which excellent tobaccos are you finding for under $3/ounce? I'm always looking for a deal and am interested in what I'm missing. If I find a good one in bulk for $4.50 an ounce I'm happy.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'm not sure what processes PP and PPSR have undergone besides pressing and slicing but I think the latakia in them have been pummelled into submission and made into something arguably lesser. It's not that there's a relatively small amount of latakia in them; I think there's quite a bit. But they taste like they've been heat treated and maybe steamed. The components are nicely melded together and the edges smoothed out. I suspect folks who like the Frogs will probably be in favor of PP and PPSR. Or the Va and VaPer folks who otherwise won't smoke latakia. I think those who favor the aged Syrian latakia from the early 2000s will like it too. I won't turn them down but they taste house broken to me; I want my latakia smokier and less civilized. I suspect I'll like the booze barrel version better for the extra flavoring but I don't want to pay the premium price.

Last edited: