I Love Shag-Cut Blends... Where'd they All Go?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I know that the shags that McClellands has made are of course gone now. I liked them, but they weren't my favorites by McC. What others have we lost recently?

I mean, of course some have fallen by the wayside over the course of the last century since Sherlock Holmes smoked them, but have any dropped off the market recently enough to lament?
Or, are we all just assuming this?
How many shags have we lost lately?

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
You can still get Sparkplug from smokingpipes.com. It is a G.L. Pease shag cut.
It's actually a loose leaf plug:
GL-Pease-Spark-Plug-Tobacco-Plug-770x328.jpg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Take your favorite blend, put it an electric coffee grinder, and push it till it’s shag consistency.
On reading this I impulsively went and took a nearly new (one smoke) twist of Cotton Boll, and cleaned my wife’s electric coffee grinder, and cut the Cotton Boll into little chunks, inside the grider.

It was only a half ounce, but dry as powder. Unfortunately after just a second or two of grinding, my tobacco turned to dust, not shag.

That’s round one. I have a half ounce of nearly pure nicotine dust to add to a blend, or try smoking it straight. It’s not a total loss.

There’s possibilities here. Maybe I should moisten the twist?

F41CE24F-EC7F-4CD0-9F2A-3C052915A6DC.jpeg7A5C1652-75FD-4D74-97EB-781E1280D501.jpeg9FED18B9-B605-4766-9403-B0A57F1FD274.jpeg6BA1110B-672C-40F7-87CE-58361F19E17C.jpeg

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
On reading this I impulsively went and took a nearly new (one smoke) twist of Cotton Boll, and cleaned my wife’s electric coffee grinder, and cut the Cotton Boll into little chunks, inside the grider.

It was only a half ounce, but dry as powder. Unfortunately after just a second or two of grinding, my tobacco turned to dust, not shag.

That’s round one. I have a half ounce of nearly pure nicotine dust to add to a blend, or try smoking it straight. It’s not a total loss.

View attachment 109384View attachment 109385View attachment 109386View attachment 109388
You made snuff!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
You made snuff!
Just to see, I poured a pipe full of my powdered Cotton Boll twist into a nice medium sized Three Star Lee.

This is much better than crumbled twist.

The first light caused the dust to raise up above the top of the bowl, and I tamped it back.

It tastes like the dark burley it is, nutty and sweet, with a fruity note of apricots, of all things. It’s delicious.

It wants to burn hot, so I’m sipping it.

This is strangling strong tobacco, impossible to inhale, and rich in nicotine would be an understatement.

It has a broadleaf cigar aftertaste.

My wife has a cheese grater next to her coffee grinder, with several choices of grates.

That will be round two.:)

PipeyPiper

Lurker
Nov 4, 2021
Switzerland
So from what I have gathered from this thread is that its hard to find a good shag. The alternative is to get a plug, or rope and rub one out and its like a shag, but not quite. Also some people have experienced pain and a burning sensation after said shag. Did I miss anything?
Hmmmm?
No risk, no reward. Sign me up.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA

View attachment 109384View attachment 109385View attachment 109386View attachment 109388
Yeah, bustin' up dry tobacco will do that...

PipeyPiper

Lurker
Nov 4, 2021
Switzerland
I'd like to get some kizami... Japanese-style super finely shredded tobacco. The thickness of a human hair.
View attachment 109519
View attachment 109521
I once dated a red head who had a similar looking shag. If they are anything alike (which I doubt) then my advice is: Run. Run far, far away. Don't look back and don't try to save any friends who run slower than you. Now keep running. ?

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
C&D Blockade Runner is a crumble cake that is very close to a shag when rubbed out.

Check out Ken Byron Ventures Mr. Christian’s Sticky Pudding and Mr. Christian’s Straw Navy. Both have top flavors, however.