PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Chelsea Morning in a Brigham, with some coffee, out on the porch. It's 36 degrees, noon on a Tuesday, I'm in pajama pants and a flannel robe. It was a surprise day off from garlic planting on the farm. I'm going to spend the day debating what chores I should do, while not actually doing any of them.

Neighbors across the street have decorated their window with a large number "32," in blue painter's tape. There's a faintly audible scraping sound coming from inside the house, punctuated by dog barks and a brief "shaddup!" from the male. I suspect they are weaving their cocoons for their winter stasis, or preparing their space module.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Did you fold and stuff or rub it out? From my limited experience packing to tight can cause the pipe to not stay lit, packing to lose can make it burn to fast or sometimes not stay lit also. The Erinmore I tried was very moist and needed a decent amount of dry time so that could also be it. If it was folded and stuffed Flake then going out often and requiring more tamping/scrapping is norm.
@Charlie718 Many thanks for the info; I rubbed the Flake out but it was very moist and I may have packed the clay pipe a bit tight - I think you've covered all the issues. I normally smoke pipe baccy straight from the tin or pouch but it made a real mess of one of my pipes - before I managed to drop it and break it!
The inside of the broken clay pipe stem was defintely dark brown; almost black from all that pipeweed residue...

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
@halfdan thanks mate, aye it’s been a weekend of memories and thankfulness.
Happy smokes
Ettrick puffer
@Ettrick puffer One of my neighbours served in the army in Afghanistan and showed me his medals so I'd like to lend him the Redcoat to wear and let him smoke a clay...
Didn't buy any pipeweed today after finishing the Erinmore Flake; it must have been a bit moist as it caked up one of my clays and wouldn't stay lit!
Not spending any money, buying any beer or pipeweed next week!

Status
Not open for further replies.