PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
having never had either of them I wouldnt know.
Same here, can't knock, love or miss what I never had :)
But I recon the GH/SG blends are as good as any out there, others may not agree
Same here, I was thinking about that last night given Switzerland's somewhat limited selection of tobaccos: you can go VERY far with ready access to SG/GH.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
LOL, and in case anyone thought I was foolin' (or just curious) - be it ever so humble this is the cellar! Will be growing just a wee bit the next few days. McClellands to the right.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Off the top of my head...
10 tins of XC
9 tins 40th
10 tins Red Ribbon of various years
6 tins Beacon/Beacon Extra
4 Red and Black
6 Tins Boston 1776
Couple of pounds each of 5100 and 5115
10 100g tins of various Frog Mortons
A number of random tins of Backwoods, Cajun, Dark Star, + various Orientals and va's.
About 20 lbs total

Last edited:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, just to follow up, I kept my promise.

As soon as my wife departed for her week long journey, I labored away the day, bringing all of my tobacco into one spot for the first time ever.

Here's the pre-inventory shot:

1635133064007.png
1635133095052.png

I'll be doing another thread, sharing the cellar tackling experience, but the question here was about McClelland stores, so I'll stay on topic for a change.

My little Frog pile:
1635133294114.jpeg

My other pile:
1635133326955.jpeg

There's also a tin of Balkan Blue somewhere in the mess.

One of my St James Wood cans is bulging like a beach ball. I am sorely tempted to get into it...

1635133455792.jpeg

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX

As soon as my wife departed for her week long journey, I labored away the day, bringing all of my tobacco into one spot for the first time ever.

View attachment 104772
View attachment 104773

I'll be doing another thread, sharing the cellar tackling experience, but the question here was about McClelland stores, so I'll stay on topic for a change.

My little Frog pile:
View attachment 104774

My other pile:
View attachment 104775

One of my St James Wood cans is bulging like a beach ball. I am sorely tempted to get into it...

View attachment 104776
Gotta love them Tidy Cats!!!

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
From ‘97 to 2012 I was buying about 30 tins a year of McC blends.
Always 10-12 tins of CC, some #24, #25, #22, #27, and then yearly pounds of 2025, 2015, 2035, and various PCCA and Butera Blended Flake.
After McC’s closing I sold off over 300 tins and about 25lbs of bulk.
Still sitting on 40-50 tins and about 10 lbs bulk of my favorites.
I’m good, but realized I sent out all of my Yenidje Supreme and had to break down and kiss the hand of @pipestud for a few tins.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Jun 9, 2018
England
You might check with other forum members in your country for advice on importing from the US (which retailers are best for shipping, other costs, etc). Many of our retailers stock it:
Sutliff 515 RC-1 Pipe Tobacco - TobaccoPipes.com
Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1 - Pipes and Cigars
Sutliff Bulk: 515 RC-1 - 4Noggins.com
Sutliff 515 RC-1 | Smokingpipes.com

I think I remember some Canadians saying that 4Noggins.com was good for international shipping.
Good luck!
I've bought from the US quite a few times but the import taxes & duties push the price WAY up. I have a couple of tins of Sutliff Crumble Kake Red Virginia in the cellar and I'll definitely add the blends you mentioned to my list for any future order.
Of the 3 straight red Virginia blends i've tried the only one I wasn't very impressed with is some 10 year old Cornell and Diehl Red Virginia Ribbon. I do love their Carolina Red Flake tho.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa

View attachment 104772
View attachment 104773

My little Frog pile:
View attachment 104774

My other pile:
View attachment 104775

View attachment 104776
So even with our cats long gone we can get a kitty litter room note with my pipe? :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some of us have to pay the premium to even get to try them. What happens when you don't start smoking till after they stopped production.
You don't HAVE to. Many blends are as good or better. Find tobaccos you enjoy that are in production. Many left and readily available as many were long gone when I started in the '90s. I still haven't been tempted to try those that I missed out on as there have been many wonderful blends available in the time that I have been smoking and at retail, easy to amass large quantities of them.

You pay a premium or you smoke something presently available.
Exactly.

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
You don't HAVE to. Many blends are as good or better. Find tobaccos you enjoy that are in production. Many left and readily available as many were long gone when I started in the '90s. I still haven't been tempted to try those that I missed out on as there have been many wonderful blends available in the time that I have been smoking and at retail, easy to amass large quantities of them.

Exactly.
Excuse us for wanting to try some of the most reputable tobacco in history. Guess I'll go buy some C&D since it is more readily available.

Reactions: wolflarsen