PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I just am about finished with a medium sized bowl of Half and Half in a late forties Lee Three Star and this tobacco tastes just exactly like it did 45 years ago when I sat in Spout Spring Hollow and reduced the squirrel population.

I own better guns and pipes today than I dreamed of back then.

But whether it was 25 cents or $4.50 Half and Half tobacco looks the same, smells the same, and tastes the same. The new packaging says WARNING: This product contains nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive chemical. I think it’s the wonderful taste and aroma of this as it burns that’s addicted me to it since i wasn’t old enough to drive. The nicotine is, an added bonus.:)

And it tastes good down to the last scrap in the bottom of the bowl.

I wonder if it’s changed in a century?

6502896E-B1ED-4837-B3F2-FBBEF840EE7A.jpeg

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Half and Half is a 50/50 blend of Burley and Bright Leaf Virginia flavoured with Anisette (anise liqueur).

More importantly to me, it was my Grandpa's blend of choice. I was very excited to try it.

Pipe used: Grandpa's vintage 5 dot bent apple Brigham. Even after my restoration job, it's badly ghosted - from lots of Half and Half. Nothing tastes right in it.

Moisture: Smokable right out of the pouch. Moisture was ideal for an aromatic. No dry time required.

Packing: Packs well and allows for a good draw. It does a better job of this than my usual aromatics.

Lighting: Easy to light on both the charring and the true lights.

Control: Burns evenly, cool and stays lit. Very few re-lights with a slow to moderate cadence. One of the best controlled I've tried.

Bite: None. And I mean zero.

Tin notes: Very understated in the pouch. Subtle anise and almost leathery smell. Not the typical but pleasant punch in the nose from a fresh tin of VaPer or the sweetness from a typical aromatic.

End of bowl: Burns to the end. No sticky residue left.

Smoke: Lots of thick grey smoke.

Bias: I don't like Burley. I've tried a few and they taste like bitter cardboard to me. VaPer and Virginias are my preference with occassional aromatics like Vanilla or Maple.

Flavour: Though I admitted to using a ghosted pipe in which none of my aromatics taste right, this pipe was very happy to be reunited with Half and Half. It was the right pipe.

The charring light gave me that bland, bitter cardboard I find so indicative of Burley on MY tongue.

The true light gave me something different. The baccy gave way to the round nuttiness people ascribe to Burley. The bitterness and cardboard vanished.

I didn't detect the typical citrus, grassy or tea notes that a Virginia would give. The anise flavor was very subtle but pleasant.

The major notes - especially on the retrohale - were a slightly muted nuttiness, leather and damp wood. Damp wood is a pleasant flavour in my opinion. Reminds me of woodturning green (wet) oak at the lathe.

This tastes like the way the 60s looked. Or so I've seen in pictures and movies, given that I was born in the late 70s.

The taste reminds me of old men playing darts and chatting under the glow of florescent lights out in the garage. It reminds me of orange carpets and walnut stained wood paneling.

It was a great experience.

And that's what it was for me: an experience. A good one. One that I plan to have once or twice a year as I think about Grandpa and my great-great uncles.

It won't find its way into my regular rotation but it will occupy a nostalgic place in my heart.

It may have also encouraged me to revisit Burley.

Recommend to anyone that likes Burley, wants to try a classic codger blend or wants the taste of brown curtains and harvest gold appliances.

I found nothing negative to say. I just prefer other baccy more.

This blend is no longer available in Canada but a friend was kind enough to bring it up from the USA for me.

6/10 for flavour.
10/10 for moisture and control.
11/10 for nostalgia.

Somewhat recommend.

View attachment 98210
I never liked the blend but love your review, especially the line about the old guys playing darts in the garage. An image that really resonated in my memory and brought a smile and a little sadness too as time and life go by just too quickly.

May 16, 2021
Manitoba Canada
I find it to be a great car blend.
It is tasty, doesn't require any tlc with regards to relights or cadence, and the tobacco cut allows someone to pack it with one hand blindfolded if needed.