PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bigbeard

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2020
Canada
Half and Half is a 50/50 blend of Burley and Bright Leaf Virginia flavoured with Anisette (anise liqueur).

More importantly to me, it was my Grandpa's blend of choice. I was very excited to try it.

Pipe used: Grandpa's vintage 5 dot bent apple Brigham. Even after my restoration job, it's badly ghosted - from lots of Half and Half. Nothing tastes right in it.

Moisture: Smokable right out of the pouch. Moisture was ideal for an aromatic. No dry time required.

Packing: Packs well and allows for a good draw. It does a better job of this than my usual aromatics.

Lighting: Easy to light on both the charring and the true lights.

Control: Burns evenly, cool and stays lit. Very few re-lights with a slow to moderate cadence. One of the best controlled I've tried.

Bite: None. And I mean zero.

Tin notes: Very understated in the pouch. Subtle anise and almost leathery smell. Not the typical but pleasant punch in the nose from a fresh tin of VaPer or the sweetness from a typical aromatic.

End of bowl: Burns to the end. No sticky residue left.

Smoke: Lots of thick grey smoke.

Bias: I don't like Burley. I've tried a few and they taste like bitter cardboard to me. VaPer and Virginias are my preference with occassional aromatics like Vanilla or Maple.

Flavour: Though I admitted to using a ghosted pipe in which none of my aromatics taste right, this pipe was very happy to be reunited with Half and Half. It was the right pipe.

The charring light gave me that bland, bitter cardboard I find so indicative of Burley on MY tongue.

The true light gave me something different. The baccy gave way to the round nuttiness people ascribe to Burley. The bitterness and cardboard vanished.

I didn't detect the typical citrus, grassy or tea notes that a Virginia would give. The anise flavor was very subtle but pleasant.

The major notes - especially on the retrohale - were a slightly muted nuttiness, leather and damp wood. Damp wood is a pleasant flavour in my opinion. Reminds me of woodturning green (wet) oak at the lathe.

This tastes like the way the 60s looked. Or so I've seen in pictures and movies, given that I was born in the late 70s.

The taste reminds me of old men playing darts and chatting under the glow of florescent lights out in the garage. It reminds me of orange carpets and walnut stained wood paneling.

It was a great experience.

And that's what it was for me: an experience. A good one. One that I plan to have once or twice a year as I think about Grandpa and my great-great uncles.

It won't find its way into my regular rotation but it will occupy a nostalgic place in my heart.

It may have also encouraged me to revisit Burley.

Recommend to anyone that likes Burley, wants to try a classic codger blend or wants the taste of brown curtains and harvest gold appliances.

I found nothing negative to say. I just prefer other baccy more.

This blend is no longer available in Canada but a friend was kind enough to bring it up from the USA for me.

6/10 for flavour.
10/10 for moisture and control.
11/10 for nostalgia.

Somewhat recommend.

20210917_190521.jpg

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
Thanks for the good review. It's always good to know what someones tobacco bias is when they review a tobacco.
I like Half and Half. It is something that I can easily smoke all day without complaint. I like Virginia and Perique blends with an occasional Latakia blend thrown in and Half and Half breaks up what can become an monotonous rotation.

Reactions: bigbeard and seanv

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I agree completely on Half and Half.

Of all the “tobacco flavored codger brands” it is unique, and since I started a pipe in 1972 until today it’s by far my favorite drug store brand, and I buy it more than all other OTC blends combined.

Two things about smoking smell like heaven.

The smell of a fresh pouch of Half and Half and sniffing a fresh package of Marlboro Red, and neither has changed in fifty years.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I can’t bash Half n Half. It was my introduction to pipe smoking. I had a friend who smoked only Half n Half and I enjoyed the room note. — actually, car note. I was the only one who would ride with him. It was also one of the first I’d smoked. Definitely enjoyed it then. Plus one on the nostalgia. It’s a good blend.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of these venerable pouch tobaccos have something to recommend them, and most of us can find one or two that are truly enjoyable. Half-and-Half had a few edges I didn't like, but I do like Granger with its molasses flavoring, Mixture No. 79 with anisette, and both SWR regular and especially the aromatic version with three liqueurs. I mostly smoke non-aromatic, but aromatics are a pleasing change of pace. Velvet, Five Brothers, John Bull, and Erin Go Braugh are among others worth trying. At some point I may give Half-and-Half another try; when I mix home blends, Virginias and burleys are usually winners.

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Oh how much I wanted to like half & half, sir Walter, prince Albert, cater hall, and the rest of the gang. I gave them all a fair chance. The convenience of driving half a mile down the street and buying a pouch whenever I needed would have been so great instead of constantly having to order online and wait. But sadly non of these were smokable for me.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Oh how much I wanted to like half & half, sir Walter, prince Albert, cater hall, and the rest of the gang. I gave them all a fair chance. The convenience of driving half a mile down the street and buying a pouch whenever I needed would have been so great instead of constantly having to order online and wait. But sadly non of these were smokable for me.
Consider yourself lucky. I can't bear to smoke most tinned blends.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I just get punched in the face by the pouch note, which smells EXACTLY like fertilizer chemicals to me, it's like someone swapped my tobacco for a sample pouch from the gardening centre. The smoke would have to be pretty epic to get past that pouch note, and it was not. It is amazing how individual the palette can be, this is a big seller and has been for years.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I just get punched in the face by the pouch note, which smells EXACTLY like fertilizer chemicals to me, it's like someone swapped my tobacco for a sample pouch from the gardening centre. The smoke would have to be pretty epic to get past that pouch note, and it was not. It is amazing how individual the palette can be, this is a big seller and has been for years.
I picked up a pouch of Half and Half and another of Prince Albert. H&H is milder to me with PA being a bit spicier.

The pouch note of H&H was more like a brandy while PA seemed more like a bitter chocolate.

I like the smell of H&H. It's a no frills smoke to me. However, my tastes are rapidly changing.

thedoc333

Might Stick Around
Mar 15, 2021
LA
After a ten yr hiatus I made it back to smoking a pipe. I like the GH flakes and some MacBaren blends. I picked up an old pouch of the pinkerton H&H that was forgotten at a nearby tobacconist.

Now I am hard pressed to smoke anything else. My custombilt style poker by Dave McLary and Half and Half has been my go to combination. I sprinkle some nutmeg, cardamom, and coriander and add some anise seeds. The best.

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee