PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
I've been trying to finish off some half full jars for the last month or so. One of the jars is Peterson Elizabethan. I didn't care for it the first few bowls and then just kinda moved on. I decided to come back to it last week and I've been smoking a bowl of it most days. It's still not my favorite, but I do like it more every time I smoke it.

There are so many blends out there and sometimes it feels like every week I read about some other blend that "I gotta try." Smoking the same thing every day definitely has its appeal. I'm not saying I'm gonna be a one blend fella, but sometimes I think I could stand a bit more familiarity in my life.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've been trying to finish off some half full jars for the last month or so. One of the jars is Peterson Elizabethan. I didn't care for it the first few bowls and then just kinda moved on. I decided to come back to it last week and I've been smoking a bowl of it most days. It's still not my favorite, but I do like it more every time I smoke it.

There are so many blends out there and sometimes it feels like every week I read about some other blend that "I gotta try." Smoking the same thing every day definitely has its appeal. I'm not saying I'm gonna be a one blend fella, but sometimes I think I could stand a bit more familiarity in my life.
I've got two regular blends that I smoke most of the time. Nothing wrong with that as long as you're enjoying it.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I had a period of about two years where I tried as many blends as I could get my hands on. Then I realized that I needed to simplify it. So now I have 6-8 blends that I smoke regularly and occasionally try something new. The new blends almost never make make it into the repertoire. Which is another reason I'm more reluctant to try new blends. I rarely like them as much as my staples.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Out of curiosity does the same apply to food?

Not poking, just genuinely curious.
Actually, yes it absolutely does. Cheeseburgers. I can eat cheeseburgers all week long, and sometimes do. It never gets old. I'm always hungry for one. And it hasn't affected my weight yet as a 32 year old 150 lb man. Lol

But the wife calls me.....predictable. everyone knows what I want when we go out to eat.

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
There are some guys who are always looking for the 'next thing', whatever that thing is. There are some guys who stick to the same thing for years and years. Each of them is happy in their own way.
I wouldn't even say I'm "looking for the next thing." I mean, I'm clearly always aware of the next thing, but I've been pretty good at not throwing money at the next shiny thing coming down the pike. I just think that I'm constantly missing out on something I could love. That's just me being a dummy.

Reactions: kcghost and wyfbane

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’ve also found that alternating blends tends to take a little something away. When I stick with one, I get the richest flavor. Bouncing around confuses my pallet. When I return and spend some time with one, those nirvana bowls return. YMMV

Reactions: wyfbane and tmcg81

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Like many others have said -I think the best approach is to smoke what you like how you like.
For my part, there are a handful of blends that I smoke very regularly but I also try to smoke a bowl of something less familiar everyday or every other day.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Actually, yes it absolutely does. Cheeseburgers. I can eat cheeseburgers all week long, and sometimes do. It never gets old. I'm always hungry for one. And it hasn't affected my weight yet as a 32 year old 150 lb man. Lol

But the wife calls me.....predictable. everyone knows what I want when we go out to eat.
Because your 32 hahaha. Joking aside, I hope it stays like that for you! I was like that until I hit 40, then boom - where did that weight come from...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Before I built my cellar, I was smoking every flake and plug I could get my hands on trying to narrow it down so I could reach my goal of building a 20-25 year cellar in one year.

At the end of 2013 I had my cellar built and I had around 38 or so flakes and plugs. I got the itch to try a few new blends years later. I now have 43 blends in my cellar and the only tobacco I buy are aged tins. I like variety, and normally have 20-25 open tins and a few bulk blends. I will rotate blends in when I stumble on them as my cellar is as unorganized as you can get.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Out of curiosity does the same apply to food?

Not poking, just genuinely curious.

Yep I can and often live on 1/4 pound cheeseburgers with mustard, ketchup, onions, pickles, lettuce, mayonnaise, tomatoes, and a fried egg.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I made the mistake on buying too many mixtures instead of buying a lot of the tobaccos that I like and since I' m not a heavy smoker, I' m stuck with them for quite some time. I have my favorites and some have disappeared, are difficult or impossible to find.
That's not a bad thing. If you know your favorites and enjoy them that's great, but sometimes it is nice to toss in a new blend from time to time.

Reactions: tmcg81