PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I built my cellar for a number of reasons, one being so that I could enjoy smoking nothing but aged tobacco. I also cellared so that if any of my favorites got discontinued I would have plenty. So far I have had 4-5 different blends get discontinued and I had cellared them all deep. I also cellared because the prices back in 2012 were a lot less expensive than prices today. My biggest fear at the time I was cellaring was having pipe tobacco be outlawed from being sold on the internet. It is one of the biggest reasons I committed to building my cellar in one year or less.

I saw how Washington St outlawed pipe tobacco being sold into their state. I saw how Florida put an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco making it impossible for me to ever visit my b/m and buy tins there. I wasn't going to pay 23.00 for a tin of Samuel Gawith tobacco when I could get it online for 9.00 and change.

I was told I was crying wolf for no reason and that I was just being paranoid. Looking at prices today my cellar cost around 20-40 percent less than todays prices. I built my cellar of 20 plus years in around 1 year. I built fast and deep and wide enough for my tastes.

I did add a few things later on as one of my favorite blends came back on the market after being off it for years. I didn't screw around and bought 100 tins after buying one test tin. This was back in 2015 and the blend was Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. Those people cannot make up their minds whether they want to be in America or not.

I also added a few other blends like Curly Block, Salty Dogs, Savinelli Doblone d'Oro, 2013 Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed and Butera Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved which is pretty much the same as Dark Star and the Butera was discontinued. The only one of the above that I went real deep (140 tins) was the Butera as I knew in advance of the announcement that McClelland was calling it quits.

My cellar will out last me and my kids know how to sell the remainder for big bucks.
I agree with you, and wish I had gone deeper instead of wider.

Thanks for at least acknowledging that cellaring is a good course of action with this looming overhead.

Many arent.

I (currently) have 246 pounds of pipe tobacco consisting of 323 different blends. My average cost per ounce is $7.09. Some of my choices may only be 1 tin deep, while my favorites may be several pounds deep. I am still looking to gain depth on a couple blends but for the most part, I am good to go as long as the barter system remains somewhat intact. You know, like the Darknet for tobacco... puffy

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Have more Pipe tobacco to last 2 life times so not buying unless "Limited Edition" ? ....I am BUYING Cuban cigars instead which I stock pile to age. I order 2 box's each month of specials that are going on. Juan Lopez No.2 and Montecristo No.4 this month.

View attachment 99776
Don't you love the literature they put on the front of the boxes. ALERT< ALERT If you even touch these sons of bitches you will die!!!!! They don't want to scare you. Maybe they should put a sign on the dashboard of your car- Alert, If you drive you could have an accident and bleed all over the upholstery.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I (currently) have 246 pounds of pipe tobacco consisting of 323 different blends. My average cost per ounce is $7.09. Some of my choices may only be 1 tin deep, while my favorites may be several pounds deep. I am still looking to gain depth on a couple blends but for the most part, I am good to go as long as the barter system remains somewhat intact. You know, like the Darknet for tobacco... puffy
For me, that would be a small fortune of an investment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, I'd hate to be faced with a $300 price tag on a tub of codger blend, though there are several that I really like. On the other hand, I have blends I bought eight or ten years ago that I've never smoked because I'm always buying a few tins or baggies. I think I could coast for some years, and I'd probably smoke even less than my current bowl a day. My optimism tells me that people are overreacting, but I can visualize the boom being lowered. I like to think that there will continue to be pleasant enough blends available at high but not prohibitive prices. Maybe they should suspend the tobacco taxes for people over 70. Ha.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
Stockpiling gives us the mental comfort of thinking that at least this one thing is under our control in our lives. But underneath this lies that fact that most of the stockpilers will not enjoy a smoking career long enough to avoid having much of that tobacco eventually go to the estate market.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’m realistic in my cellaring. I suppose stockpiling is another word for cellaring.

I enjoy knowing that one daily bowl is feasible for the rest of my days.

Protecting a simple pleasure from extinction is not difficult.

If it never goes out of production, great. If it’s never priced out of my reach, great.

But if it does, I’m good! I’ll enjoy wonderfully aged burley scraps at yesteryear’s prices.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Stockpiling gives us the mental comfort of thinking that at least this one thing is under our control in our lives. But underneath this lies that fact that most of the stockpilers will not enjoy a smoking career long enough to avoid having much of that tobacco eventually go to the estate market.
Sounds like a good problem to have puffy

I don't think it's a psychological "control" type issue in most instances. There are certainly people for whom cellaring is a compulsion touching on some less-than-healthy psychological aspect, but for most of us, it's just common sense. Hell, I should exercise a little more common sense and renew my efforts at cellaring because I'm only in my mid-30's and with any luck have quite a few years to go.

I’m realistic in my cellaring. I suppose stockpiling is another word for cellaring.

I enjoy knowing that one daily bowl is feasible for the rest of my days.

Protecting a simple pleasure from extinction is not difficult.

If it never goes out of production, great. If it’s never priced out of my reach, great.

But if it does, I’m good! I’ll enjoy wonderfully aged burley scraps at yesteryear’s prices.

Exactly.

Inspired Idler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2019
Denver, CO
I stockpile to age, I stockpile so I have what I want when I want it, I stockpile to share/trade. I don’t stockpile because of possible taxes. I don’t look at my cellar as a way to make money later. When I’m gone, give it all away.
Perfectly said. I cellar so I can enjoy aged stuff later on and to share something special with others.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
@Sanddollar ... 240-plus pounds of tobacco? Not a criticism. You just make me feel better. I probably have around 50 LBS of tobacco and I feel ridiculous. I'm never going to get through that. Thank you for helping me sleep through the night.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Have more Pipe tobacco to last 2 life times so not buying unless "Limited Edition" ? ....I am BUYING Cuban cigars instead which I stock pile to age. I order 2 box's each month of specials that are going on. Juan Lopez No.2 and Montecristo No.4 this month.

View attachment 99776
You must not live in the US! I was fortunate enough to have a friend gift me 40 Cohiba Sigla VI's and 50 Montecristo no.4's, I'm sittin pretty on these. Wish I could get more here in the states. Damn embargo...

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Increased taxes, the deeming rules (maybe), state law action to prohibit or restrict online sales….

I’m very happy I’ve got enough even everything shut down tomorrow.

Increased tobacco taxes, generally and historically speaking, are not a function of which political party is in power. Such taxes have had broad political support or are treated with indifference. I’m not trying to make a political point, but rather to underline the fact that tobacco taxes will always go up because nearly any politician who votes for an increase will be either applauded or ignored, not voted out of office.
Cellar up

Reactions: seanv

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011

View attachment 99776
How many pounds of tobacco do you have?
These statements always make me curious.

Reactions: seanv