Anyone Play Video Games?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I played Crash Bandicoot once. Does that count? I think I'm missing something that makes playing video games enjoyable. I tried... I even bought a PlayStation decades ago, and it set in my livingroom till I just threw it away. I can't even watch someone play a game. I can't make the connection between my reality and what is going on on a screen. My kids never played games either. Well, we played board games, just not video stuff.

Jun 27, 2016
I've 'invented' a couple missions for GTA5 that are fun to play. One is pretty simple. Hijack a town-bus & drive around in cinematic view, utilizing the adjustable slo-mo feature wherever you need or want to. You can also speed up & slow down the slo-mo camera by moving the right analog stick forwards or backwards. If you need to go back into first-person or third-person view to navigate something, no problem, but the cinematic view should be your primary camera, & using the slo-mo makes it playable. Start running over pedestrians & causing mayhem to gain up to three stars, & see how long you can maintain the chase. You can hold your wanted level at three stars for as long as you don't use your weapons against the cops. If you gain four+ stars it becomes very difficult, & the swat teams will probably take you out quickly. Three stars seems to be the best balance between a good chase & too much. During the chase, the cinematic camera will sometimes go in-car with the cops chasing you, or hanging from the skid of the police chopper once it shows up. It all looks pretty wild. If that is all too much, it is also somewhat amusing to hijack a bus & then just drive around following the traffic signals like you have a bus route.

My second mission is a little more involved. The setup is to start out hovering near some train tracks & a busy intersection in a cargo-bob helicopter, & wait for a train to show up. There is a spot in the south-east area of the map where I like to start, & I'll post a pic of the location on the map. This is also a good spot to make a save, so you can start off set up ready to land, & the train will almost always spawn right away, at least after the first loading of the save. The first time you load it, it might take a while for the train to spawn. I like to use Trevor due to his special 'rage' ability, which is helpful during the mission. You will also want to be fully armed with max ammo, health, & body armor. Get to the spot in the chopper, wait for the train to show up. About when it is crossing the bridge, land the bird near the intersection & cause some mayhem to gain two stars by blowing up the traffic stuck waiting at the train crossing. Jump back in the helo as the train passes through the intersection, & take off in the helo after it. Ideally you should end up getting three stars as you lift off. Land on a train car & exit the chopper. You can go for a flat-car or a box car, but usually I like to go for a couple of flat-cars hooked together, & I'll fight from the flat car once I'm on-board. There is a tunnel approaching, & you need to land & get out of the chopper before the train gets to the tunnel, or you will probably crash & burn. This landing the chopper on the train & getting out without getting killed or falling off of the train is probably the hardest part of the mission. I probably have a 20% success rate max. Sometimes it will place you in the middle of the street when you exit the bird, even if you can clearly make it into the train car (wtf). Sometimes I will get out & get stuck under the bird until it hits the tunnel & explodes, killing me. There are many ways to die trying to do it. But if you can land, get out, & stay on the train, then you'll want to continue to fight up to the max five stars as quickly as possible, & then try to maintain the five stars for as long as possible, all while staying on the train. So far I've made it around the full loop a little further than two times at five stars, which took at least an hour. I'm actually not sure what my record is time-wise. You will have to shoot randomly into the flat-car or throw grenades away in order to allow the cops to track you & to keep the 5-star wanted level up. I find the "Special Carbine" to be best for doing that. The first lap will have the heaviest fighting if you can get up to five stars quickly. After the first lap the helos don't press as much even at five stars, but you will see some new patterns from the chase cars & foot patrols on the ground. After the first lap, the challenge is more in keeping the five stars going, but if you can get five stars early in the first lap, you'll see a lot of cool stuff since they are very aggressive during that first lap.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I started playing Nier Automata but never finished it. I should start a Jew game and see if I can get back into it.

Lately, I've been playing Mass Effect Legendary Edition. I never played any Mass Effect before this so it has been kind of fun. Next up will be Hades which has a stellar reputation, but was just recently released on consoles. Still want to play Ghost of Tsushima too.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Anyone running an MClassic? I just ordered one for my Dreamcast, excited to hook it up & see how it does. Should be the final improvement that I can make to my signal chain ( D.C. to VGA box to OSSC to MClassic to HDMI TV ). The VGA box forces the Dreamcast to output in its native VGA output resolution (basically 480p which is the highest a stock Dreamcast can go natively). The OSSC has a setting to bump that to 960p but my tv rejects that resolution, so I just use the OSSC in 480p passthru mode. The OSSC is there for its 480p DVD codec, which scales the 4:3 image to 16:9, nearly fully filling my widescreen TV without distorting the picture. The MClassic should upscale the native 480p to 1080p (max my TV will do), but it could go up to 14xxp if my TV would support that. Plus the MClassic will do some anti-aliasing & color enhancement tricks. From what I hear online, this thing should be pretty rad in terms of image-enhancement & smoothing out the jaggies, but I might need to tweak a couple of the OSSC settings if I initially see some on-screen artifacts.
Plus, they've been on sale for at least a week, so I figured I'd get one:
Link to MClassic Official Site

I should also be able to hook this up to my PS3, & it may or may not help, but I'm also kind of curious to see if it would help on PS1 games that I play on the PS3.

Also, I played Sky Force Anniversary on my PS3, & that game was a lot of fun. There's the rub. Was a lot of fun. The game would occasionally lock up between levels (I could live with that), but eventually my save-game file got corrupted due to this happening during an auto-save, deleting about 1/3 of my progress. Now it won't save any more of my progress, so I stopped playing it. Pissed because I had gold-medaled halfway through the levels set to 'Nightmare Difficulty'. Like, WTF? This game is not easy for me & I'm not sure if I'm going to deal with it again. I could start a new save file but it would probably end up doing the same thing again anyway.
What is it exactly? Hardware that adds modern display options to older consoles?

Reactions: Chasing Embers

cragdhack

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2021
Romania
I've a few I'm bouncing between, at the moment. The recently acquired Escape from Tarkov, Europa Universalis IV (with some Crusader Kings II on the side) and some VR games, like Into the Radius, Ragnaröck and Compound.

Reactions: danimalia

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Use to play tons of video games, not much time for it these days though, got too many adult things to do.
My games of choice: GTA, Fable, CoD, Assassins Creed, Halo and Forza. Also kinda like the lego games as well.
I think the last game I played through was South Park Stick of Truth.

Reactions: JOHN72

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ni_no_Kuni:_Wrath_of_the_White_Witch played the heck out of this one well the remaster for ps4. Pretty niffty and a good break from more serious games.
I played the remaster last year myself. Such a beautiful looking and moving game. It's a bit twee, bit mostly in an endearing way.

Also, goddamn Mr. Drippy just tears into that boy while he's grieving his mom. Calls him a "cry baby bunting" and basically tells him to quit being such a pussy. Brutal.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I played the remaster last year myself. Such a beautiful looking and moving game. It's a bit twee, bit mostly in an endearing way.

Also, goddamn Mr. Drippy just tears into that boy while he's grieving his mom. Calls him a "cry baby bunting" and basically tells him to quit being such a pussy. Brutal.
Yeah. I know. Perfect description at the top. I've been playing a lot of genuinely more hardcore games like fallout 4 on survival mode. You know where you have to eat and drink water to keep your stats up and also not die. Where you have to sleep 8 hours a day and the fun part healing items aren't instant they're spread out over half a minute. So you can't rely on stimpacks to handle death claws and the like. Only time I've put a lot of perks in to damage resistance. So Ni No Kuni is a nice break from that.

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
Lately it’s been mostly Warzone, before that PubG. I’m finding I like the battle royale segment atm. I’m anxiously awaiting the new Halo.

my problem with console gaming is that there are select titles I like on each console. I’d like to get a Nintendo switch to start playing the Zelda and Mario games again. Last Zelda title I played was Twilight Princess so I’m a little behind.

then again I’d like to get a gaming computer as well…

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Lately it’s been mostly Warzone, before that PubG. I’m finding I like the battle royale segment atm. I’m anxiously awaiting the new Halo.

my problem with console gaming is that there are select titles I like on each console. I’d like to get a Nintendo switch to start playing the Zelda and Mario games again. Last Zelda title I played was Twilight Princess so I’m a little behind.

then again I’d like to get a gaming computer as well…
Breath of the Wild is pretty awesome.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith