PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
So, about 6 months ago, I was doing some serious reading about bonsai, and watching a bunch of YouTube videos. This is usually the precursor to me jumping head, and wallet first into a new hobby. I decided against it. But, now seeing this post I'm being tempted all over again. Living in Northern Nevada, I was going to make my first attempt a sagebrush.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My Dwarf Alberta Spruce comes from the Lowes clearnace bin...there is a lot of good material there this time of year.
They often have boxwoods with some nicely spaced branches and good trunk development.

Reactions: Ethan

AlexBarkat

Lurker
Jan 8, 2024
Clearance sections can be gold mines for bonsai material. Dwarf Alberta Spruces and boxwoods offer fantastic potential for bonsai with their natural features. Trunk development and well-spaced branches are excellent starting points for shaping them into beautiful miniature trees. If you're diving into bonsai with these plants, the guide at https://bonsaiforbeginners.com/guide could be a game-changer. It offers insights on techniques and care, perfect for crafting your clearance treasures into stunning bonsai.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

AlexBarkat

Lurker
Jan 8, 2024
Thanks for sharing your insights on cultivating woody plants. It's fascinating how root restriction and foliage pruning can shape their proportions.

Mundewood

Lurker
Apr 2, 2024
Thanks for sharing your insights on cultivating woody plants. It's fascinating how root restriction and foliage pruning can shape their proportions. Speaking of trees, have you ever considered growing a camphor tree? They're not only majestic but also emit a delightful minty fragrance. Plus, their versatile uses make them quite intriguing. It might be worth giving them a try in your gardening endeavors!

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
Working at a tourist/field-trip destination farm last Fall, I picked up a couple acorns that fell me near me.
Don't think my oak is quite developed enough to start bonsai-ing it, but that's the eventual plan. All of maybe five or six inches high so far, little nub on the side where I guess a branch is slowly forming.