PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Another vote for the corona old boy. I use my zippo every day, but sometimes the flame is finicky with pipes. The old boy I can guide the flame right where it needs to be, has adjustable flame, and lights on first try, unless in a huge wind.

PXL_20210902_172257904.jpg

Plus the wonderful craftsmanship really adds to the experience. Seriously I feel fancy.

Jun 25, 2021
England
IM Corona Old Boy.
Slips into the hand as if by itself, easy action, an absolute delight to use.

However, convinced by what people have said on here, I've just ordered some bics, mostly for when I go out, because I get anxious about taking the Old Boy.

Help ! I just saw the most beautiful Rollagas for £188

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
That is something to consider. I have to carry both but found it's worth it. Also, those Old Boy tools are kind of short if you have a pipe with a deep bowl.
Yeah i definitely want a longer tamper, the Pacific air colibri seems to have a longer tool than the stupid captain black generic pipe lighter

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Unpopular opinion: Bic with hemp wick. More precise lighting, low temp flame, no taste of fuel. Some might think it's slightly less convenient to light, or disparage its use because of its connotations with wacky tobbacy, but it works great for me.
I love hempwick lighters, the flame is softer than even soft flame lighters and I have noticed that the tobacco tastes less burnt upon lighting, which is a plus. Also, I do suspect that there could be some fuel taste imparted to the tobacco, though it seems to be subtle, and I don't always notice it. Could be my imagination. I am sure I will be ridiculed for saying this, since it's happened before lol. To each their own. However, the beeswax does impart its own flavor, so that is something to consider. It seems to taste better than the burnt taste of a hotter flame, and certainly better than the ephemeral and arguable taste of butane.

But there are other benefits to the hemp wick. If you get the thinner hemps, that flame will stay lit in the wind, which is a plus, and it's easier to light the bottom of bowls. The money you spend on the wick is offset at least somewhat by the money you are saving on butane, also.

Using them requires some dexterity but then again everything does, and I don't mind it.

BUT... I have yet to find a hempwick that has a long fold out tamper and an aerator pick. If they could slap that on a FlikWick, then I would use that lighter until I'm dead with a pile in my mouth. Maybe I could just modify mine...

Reactions: chopper

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Zippos burnt hell out of my tongue. Their famous pipe insert with the large holes in the sides to facilitate the light resulted in me having to draw very forcefully to draw the flame down to the tobacco through the holes in a major huffing. I got a light but at the expense of a huffed flame reversal, which toasted my tongue but good.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've got a Peterson "old boy" style lighter, and while it's nice, if I'm using a lighter, most often I'm reaching for a tried & true, trusty Zippo.

For me, if it's not matches, you just can't beat a Zippo with a pipe insert. Just my .02

smokeymo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2020
AZ
To expand on this, posts that are critical of others' preferences, be they pipes, tobacco, lighters, gadgets, etc., never seem to do anything good, and can cause resentment, defensiveness and a desire to post about it.
It was a joke, friend.
Also I didn't say if I judged them positively or negatively. So anything critical is coming from you. Food for thought.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I like a Zippo. The flame handles well in wind and it is a dependable lighter. Zippo has been around a long time. Servicemen have taken them into the marshes of Vietnam, the cold temperatures of Korea, dust, sand, wind and they keep on lighting.
Really good lighters to be sure.

Here's the thing that I found with using a Zippo; one gets used to the fuel smell and to be honest, after a while I did not even notice the odour when I used nothing but a Zippo.
From then on, if I lit up with a butane lighter, the smoke was not the same, as if something was missing.

So a Zippo is an 'all or nothing' thing for me.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Unpopular opinion: Bic with hemp wick. More precise lighting, low temp flame, no taste of fuel. Some might think it's slightly less convenient to light, or disparage its use because of its connotations with wacky tobbacy, but it works great for me.
Can't find any info on how these hemp wick lighters work.
From what I can make out from the Flicwic store, they're a sleeve for a Bic lighter. ???
Does the Bic light the hemp wick?

They've also got Glass Blunt with Telescoping Borosilicate Tube.
Anyone know what these are?

For those who might be interested, Flicwic are having a sale - Glass Blunt + a Flicwic for $24.90 [reduced from $49.90] 8 x Wick Refill Spools at half price - $19.95.
The Glass Blunts are reduced from $34.95 to $14.95.

Status
Not open for further replies.