PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
I usually carry a Leatherman multitool and a Schrade Old Timer folding knife. Weapon potential never really enters the equation for me, just utility and versatility.

Since nobody wins a knife fight unless the other party is unarmed or caught completely unprepared, and then it’s no longer self-defense in the eyes of the law, I feel like prudence and a good pair of running shoes are always a better value than any knife on the market from a defensive standpoint.
Very fair points my friend. Very wise.

Mar 1, 2014
The ones I’ve owned that were made in the USA were good. I can’t bring myself to buy a knife made in China, so I don’t have experience with any of those models. They may be good, too, but I just can’t do it ?
The trick to buying good knives from China is buy them directly from the maker.
AliExpress is full of individual CNC mill owners trying to sell a knife.
Of course many of them produce imitations, but that's just what the market demands. The quality of construction on $75 Titanium Framelocks coming out of China is very impressive.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Oh lawrd. Before I took up the pipe my main financial drain (hobby) was knives. Folders and fixed.. production and customs. My favorite folders hands down were Shirogorov. I had several Custom Divisions. For me, overall, they were the best and continue to be.

My current everyday beater is a Benchmade 761 (monolock) (First Production Run no less). I've had it for going on 6 years and it does everything I need. It's been through hell and back and laughs about it.

My other "EDCs" for work are a 12" Wheeler chefs knife in S35VN/Bubinga and a 3.5" Daniel Rohde paring knife (coffin handle in Koa/ 52100).

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Oh lawrd. Before I took up the pipe my main financial drain (hobby) was knives. Folders and fixed.. production and customs. My favorite folders hands down were Shirogorov. I had several Custom Divisions. For me, overall, they were the best and continue to be.

My current everyday beater is a Benchmade 761 (monolock) (First Production Run no less). I've had it for going on 6 years and it does everything I need. It's been through hell and back and laughs about it.

My other "EDCs" for work are a 12" Wheeler chefs knife in S35VN/Bubinga and a 3.5" Daniel Rohde paring knife (coffin handle in Koa/ 52100).
Ha! That's fantastic! Appreciate the response. You mentioned having had that knife for 6 years, that's what I'm looking forward to in the purchase of a quality knife, something well built that'll last a lifetime. I'm not a collector per se, so I imagine I'll buy my first, maybe a second to have a different tool for options and then be good for life. Famous last words I know :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015

Holy crap, just looked at prices on the Shirogorov. Yowza

You have a fav of that style for under 250$ ?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have a selection of iron bade knives of varying ages. For the longest time I used either my Fathers knife or my Grand Fathers pipe knife but due to fear about losing them I have taken up with this fellow in the picture. It cuts plug and twist with great ease, is pretty ancient and was confiscated from one of my co-workers kids about 25 years ago!

thumbnail.jpeg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Holy crap, just looked at prices on the Shirogorov. Yowza

You have a fav of that style for under 250$ ?
Under $250 I'd look at Spyderco and Benchmade.

Ive had good experience with websites like BladeHQ, knifecenter, and gpknives. All have a search feature that lets you narrow down available pieces by price.

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Well - I went with the Benchmade 940 Osborne, have been carrying it for about a week now and love it!

Next question - what is ya'll preferred method of knife sharpening?

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpg
    IMG_0821.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Country Bladesmith
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Well - I went with the Benchmade 940 Osborne, have been carrying it for about a week now and love it!

Next question - what is ya'll preferred method of knife sharpening?
I think you’ll be happy with it.
I sharpen on my belt grinder, and then either buff off the burr with a buffer or strop on leather with Flitz followed by pink no-scratch compound. But Benchmade does have a sharpening service if you do choose. I think you pay $5 or so to send the knife to them and they’ll put a factory edge back on it. I’ve always done it myself though. ?‍♂️

Reactions: ChippewaAce

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
The Benchmade knives are hard to beat for a production knife. I have what amounts to a small collection of Benchmade knives, but I only carry my original Mel Pardue Griptilian. It’s got years on it now and answers every time I call.

Purchased a mini Grip to replace it, thinking the smaller size was more practical, but old habits die hard and the bigger Grip has stayed on faithfully.

My daughter recently gifted me a Bugout and although it is a great knife, it remains in a box on my nightstand. Guess I’m pretty well set if I were to lose my EDC.