PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Hey all! I've carried a pocket knife for years and am ready to upgrade to a high quality knife for every day carry and use. I'm leaning heavily towards the Benchmade 940 Osborne or the Emerson CQC-7. My needs are for ordinary knife tasks and as a secondary line of self defense.

What do you carry and why? Looking forward to your thoughts!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Good looking knife! Spyderco is also a brand on my radar. The FFG provides a good all around grind correct?
All knife grinds are a compromise. It’s just a matter of what tasks will be demanded of the knife. Full flat grinds are great for being really sharp and doing lots of delicate slicing and push cutting, but are a little more susceptible to edge deformation than something like a convex grind. Just different horses for different courses.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
All knife grinds are a compromise. It’s just a matter of what tasks will be demanded of the knife. Full flat grinds are great for being really sharp and doing lots of delicate slicing and push cutting, but are a little more susceptible to edge deformation than something like a convex grind. Just different horses for different courses.
What he said^ lol.

I own several spydercos, they have a pretty diverse and large catalog where you can get some interesting compounds and materials.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Hey all! I've carried a pocket knife for years and am ready to upgrade to a high quality knife for every day carry and use. I'm leaning heavily towards the Benchmade 940 Osborne or the Emerson CQC-7. My needs are for ordinary knife tasks and as a secondary line of self defense.

What do you carry and why? Looking forward to your thoughts!

I've carried a couple Benchmade variants. If its good enough to be issued to Navy SEALs, it's good enough for me to open Amazon packages.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
For folders I like Benchmade’s Axis lock. A lot. Complete game changer for one-handed operation, with the benefits of being almost as fast to open as an auto, and faster/easier to close. Great EDC utility. I carry a Mini Griptillian. It’s not big enough to be a pocket hog, but still big enough to be comfortable enough in the hand and useful.

For fixed blades, I know a guy. ??

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Awesome! I was reading about these recently, they used to be made under Benchmade right? Is he still making them?
Benchmade stopped making them. My previous EDC was Benchmade DR MK1. I actually enjoy current one better. No need for custom scales. It already has G10 scale. The locking mechanism is "similar", but touch smoother. Hogue makes them now. Current steel is 20CV, and all US made.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Well said.

I prefer a carbon steel and normally use a Coticule either spine or edge leading stroke . Being a complete novice, I’ve been pleased building a slurry and have a knife that cuts